Talk

Advanced search

New York

(18 Posts)
Skala123 Sat 21-Oct-17 12:19:41

I’ve searched for answers on here but haven’t come up with anything so hoping for some help!
We have booked to stay in New York 24-26th December with our DC who are 7 and 4. What are the ‘must do’ things? We are considering a show and also skating. We also want to book somewhere great for kids are very Christmassy for Christmas lunch or dinner. Hit me with your recommendations!

TSSDNCOP Sat 21-Oct-17 12:23:20

Radio city Christmas show!!!

Best.show.ever

Skala123 Sat 21-Oct-17 12:49:17

I’ve looked at that but wasn’t sure if the kids are too young? Especially my DS as he’s only four? I’d love to go though!

Chocolatecake12 Sat 21-Oct-17 13:05:41

A walk around Central Park and ice skating. Have you taken your ds to a show before? They can be very long for a 4 year old. If he’s ok with that then have a look at what’s on on Broadway that’s family friendly.
I’m sure you will need to book somewhere for Christmas dinner.
Also check opening tunes for places as I’m not sure what’s closed over the Christmas period.

Skala123 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:22:21

Yes def want to do Central Park (here’s hoping it snows!!). Looking at ice skating at the Rockefeller but it’s an awful lot of money and I’m not convinced the kids will actually enjoy it as it’ll be so busy. Want to book somewhere for dinner and am considering the rock Center cafe as it has good reviews and will feel very Christmassy!

Skala123 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:23:14

Not taken the youngest to a long show before but he’s done a few shorter ones and happily sits in the cinema. Looking at the lion king as I’m desperate to take them but it’s €200 each!!

Ricekrispie22 Sat 21-Oct-17 18:13:20

Definitely visit one of the holiday train shows either at Grand Central or New York Botanical Garden. Take a trip to Macy's Santaland and the show to visit at Christmas is the Radio City Christmas spectacular. Don't miss the mesmerising Luminaries light installation at Brookfield Place. Have a lovely time

Skala123 Sat 21-Oct-17 18:53:39

Thanks Rice, loads to look into there.

Equimum Sat 21-Oct-17 19:57:34

Take a walk up Fifth Avenue to look at the amazing shop windows.

Defiantly felt go to see Santa at Macy's, but make sure you get there early - the queues can be huge!

If the ice rink at Central Park is too crazy for you, there is a much smaller one at Bryant Park, which is surrounded by a lovely Christmas market.

We had an amazing horse and carriage ride through a Central Park on Christmas Eve a few year ago, all wrapped up in blankets.

See the Christmas Tree and he Rockerfella Centre.

Although the Christmas Train Show at the Botanical Gardens that someone mentioned is amazing, be aware that it is quite a trip from central Manhattan, given that your stay is quite short.

jhibb Mon 23-Oct-17 14:53:06

Definitely Christmas Spectacular at Radio City...plenty of young kids there. Book now though . Ice skating, Rockefeller is overpriced and very busy, look at the VIP option at Bryant Park rink, not much more than the price of admission and you skip the line. Great little Christmas market there too. Another option is the Wollman rink in Central Park. There is so much to do in Central park, if the weather isn't great go to the Natural History Museum which is right off the park as is the Met Museum but wouldn't take small kids there. Unfortunately all the fun toy stores have closed, there is a Lego store and an American Girl store by the Rockefeller center and don't forget the tree. Take a trip to Top of the Rock or my new favorite the One World Observatory for views of the city. Don't bother with a boat tour of manhattan, you can see Statue of Liberty from One World easily or my personal favorite the Staten Island ferry. The stores are great look at Macy's Herald Square and Saks on Fifth Avenue for great window displays.

You will struggle to find a traditional Christmas dinner in NYC, Americans do turkey for thanksgiving and don't really have a set Christmas dinner. I like Carmines - family style Italian order one or two things and share portions huge. We also like John's Pizza just off Times Square. I'd look at restaurants on TripAdvisor and then see what is open Christmas day.... chinese restaurants and movie theaters always are!

Skala123 Tue 24-Oct-17 03:17:21

Jhibb thanks so much for all the info.
Will look into vip at Bryant Park as Rockefeller skating is extortionate! I think we may eat lunch or dinner at the rock Center cafe on Christmas Day. Will look more into the radio city show as I’d love to do it but don’t want to regret it when my four year old wants to leave half way through!

We hope to spend a good amount of time looking at the stores. I’m waiting for Santa land at Macy’s to release tickets. Will also go to Central Park if the weather allows it!

Reppin Tue 24-Oct-17 03:54:36

Don't go on the horses in Central Park. They were meant to have been banned by now.

realhousewife44 Tue 24-Oct-17 05:10:49

Central Park on Christmas Day is alway busy with people out and about and it's really nice for a walk in the morning. If the weather's nice, I would do a walk through the Park and then book a table for a (mimosa & bloody mary) brunch! Check www.opentable.com for restaurants that are open and taking reservations for brunch/lunch/dinner.

I also recommend the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City, it really is worth it and will make you feel very Christmassy. I would go for a late afternoon show on Christmas Even and then wander down 5th Avenue to see the department store windows and the tree at Rockefeller Plaza.

As well as the market in Bryant Park, there's also a large holiday market in Union Square. urbanspacenyc.com/union-square-holiday-market/ and another one at Columbus Circle. If you're down at Union Square, you're right by Eataly which is worth a quick visit.

New York is very much "open for business" on December 25th. Enjoy, it's a great time of year to visit!

Want2bSupermum Tue 24-Oct-17 05:14:40

I live here. The rockettes is expensive. We got discounted tickets via a promotion run by McDonald's, one of their sponsors. Still the ticket prices are insane at over $100 for each seat. Our discount was just over 50%.

realhousewife44 Tue 24-Oct-17 05:15:16

Forgot to say, there's also skating in Central Park www.wollmanskatingrink.com

Brittbugs80 Tue 24-Oct-17 18:27:49

Rockettes Christmas Spectacular is bloody brilliant, we go every year. There are lots of children there of all ages.

Holiday Lane at Maceys. Plus the week before Christmas they usually start reducing their decorations!

Last year they were doing The Polar Express in 4D at Central Park Zoo (you can do that without doing the zoo)

There's also an ice rink in Central Park.

You can do a nighttime bus tour to Brooklyn to see the Christmas lights or go and see the lights at Dyker Heights. Absolutely breathtaking.

Wherehaveiputmywine Tue 24-Oct-17 18:36:51

This a list we put together for friends visiting the city in Sept, with an 8 yr old girl and 4 yr old boy. Obviously it may be too cold for some of the parks, but a couple of years ago it was 75 degrees on Xmas eve, so...
High line walk,
battery Park, start at chambers st - the real world in Rockefeller park then onto teardrop park (great slide) then to rockerfeller park playground.

Children museum on Upper West side.
Hippo park on Riverside drive at 91st.
Abracadabra shop - ghouls, gags, gifts - 19 west 21st st.
Staten Island Ferry - free
museum of mathematics, 11 E 26th St
American Girl Shop
Museum of Natural History - whale and dinosaur rooms.
art Farm in the city - 419 east 91st st.
Central Park, incl Zoo and Alice sculpture & carousel (mid park at 64th St), belvedere castle, marionette theatre.
Brooklyn Childrens Museum
Children Museum of the Arts, 103 Charlton St, between Hudson and Greenwich Sts.
Chelsea piers, all sorts of sports
fdny fire zone, pay $6 for little talk - rockefeller centre, 34 w 51st st. or NYC fire museum at 278 spring st.
bryant park carousel and reading corner
NY transit museum
circle line
roosevelt Island aerial tram and walk around island
Bronx Zoo
Governors Island
Puppet works, 338 6th ave brooklyn.

Wherehaveiputmywine Tue 24-Oct-17 18:40:05

There are also lots of children’s shows in NYC. Just search nyc children’s theatre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now