Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Could you share your best Red Cabbage recipe with me please?

(9 Posts)
schoolgaterebel Sat 21-Oct-17 12:13:01

And is it possible to freeze before hand and reheat on the day? Thanks everyone

viques Sat 21-Oct-17 12:24:47

I finely slice the cabbage, but not the stalk bit, and an onion then put in a casserole dish with a good lid. I add a very small amount of water and white wine vinegar and bake in a slow oven. Keep an eye on it, it shouldn't dry out but if you feel it might add a bit more water. About an hour before I want to eat I add a small dessert spoonful of soft brown sugar, a peeled finely sliced and chopped cooking apple and a pinch of caraway seeds and stir well. I don't use sultanas or raisins. freezes fine.

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Sat 21-Oct-17 12:28:44

I use the same things as viques but put it all in together at the start. I also add some mixed spice and orange zest when I'm making it for Xmas.

AalyaSecura Sat 21-Oct-17 12:32:15

This is the recipe I use, it's fab and can be frozen.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3064/braised-red-cabbage-with-cider-and-apples

I use the leftover cider to make gravy for the turkey instead of wine.

NoParticularPattern Sat 21-Oct-17 12:34:58

I use Felicity Cloake’s recipe: www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/dec/12/how-to-make-perfect-braised-red-cabbage

You’ll have to ignore all the initial waffle about trying other recipes and scroll to find her one at the end, but it’s absolutely fab. Freezes really well (actually I think it’s betterfor being frozen and reheated!) and I don’t bother with the red currant jelly as I don’t think it needs it. But it’s my default recipe and always goes down well.

2014newme Sat 21-Oct-17 12:38:06

Don't do the Jamie oliver one

tkband3 Sat 21-Oct-17 12:41:46

This one is my favourite. It freezes really well.

viques Sat 21-Oct-17 14:17:02

Just realised I forgot the butter. Stir in a knob of butter just before stirring to make it shiny.

schoolgaterebel Sat 21-Oct-17 19:17:06

Thanks everyone, those sound delicious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now