Talk

Advanced search

What do I buy my dad??!

(9 Posts)
Supermagicsmile Fri 20-Oct-17 21:13:41

Trying to sort presents while I have some time off. My dad loves opening stuff but doesn't really want anything specific. He's 70. Any suggestions? (Due to poor eyesight he can't read books anymore) so we got him a kindle last year but he hasn't used it much. Any suggestions on what I could buy?

Chocolatecake12 Sat 21-Oct-17 12:17:16

Can he read magazines? A magazine subscription for a hobby?
A nice hamper filled with yummy goodies.
Decent bottle of his favourite drink
Scarf
New jumper
Wallet
Cap or other hat
Bonsai tree
Photo book of the past year or a this is your life photo book.
Coffee machine
Nice mug
Voucher for afternoon tea or lunch in a pub

anyoldname76 Sat 21-Oct-17 13:15:00

ive crocheted my dad a stocking, ive bought a few fillers already, hes having a darth vader bottle opener, bottle of beer, socks, wooden puzzle, pack of cards, aftershave, chocolate orange, bobble hat and keyring

singadream Sat 21-Oct-17 21:25:41

My dad likes stuff. Paper weights. Letter openers. Coffee table books. Bookmarks. Boxes. Etc

Llamacorn Sat 21-Oct-17 21:29:19

I bought my dad an amazon echo as his eyesight meant he couldn't read his kindle anymore - he loves listening to audio books now, and asking what's on his calendar, shopping list etc - could this be an option for your df?

My dad always likes nice slippers and pyjamas, comfy (lumberjack type) shirts, and smart jumpers. He's asked for a good pair of trainers this year for some reason!

Does your dad have any hobbies, or like cooking?

Unicorn81 Sat 21-Oct-17 21:30:55

My dad is 68 and loves

Molton brown
Coffee at neros
Under armour tops and shirts for golf and winter
Decent socks
Dvd set like the sopranos, west wing, justified, the blacklist, game of thrones
Food hamper
Aftershave

StorminaBcup Sat 21-Oct-17 21:33:29

What does he like doing? Can you pay for him to go wine tasting, a voucher for a nice meal, concert or theatre tickets, special train events, something related to an interest?

tarheelbaby Sat 21-Oct-17 21:40:31

DH's parents (in their 70s) have loved sample tea and coffee sets from high street or local merchants. They enjoy the pseudo-luxury and the disposability/temporary factor plus the novelty of tasting different kinds and rating them without having to commit to weeks of a particular bean/leaf.
My DF is not as well off, although still a crashing snob, so has liked new trainers/shoes from Amazon and other clothing b/c he does not have a lot of spare cash for that.
My DM (financially v secure) likes things to do with DDs since they are her only grands and we don't live in the same country.

Supermagicsmile Sun 22-Oct-17 20:47:00

Thank you. Unfortunately due to his poor health he is virtually housebound. His eyes are not good enough to read anything for pleasure, even with a magnifier.
I think the hamper idea would work best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now