Talk

Advanced search

Gift ideas desperately needed! (Please)

(6 Posts)
DaisysStew Fri 20-Oct-17 21:03:03

I've been pretty organised this year and have my Christmas shopping list all ready to go, but there's a couple of people I'm really struggling with and I was hoping that you lovely bunch could help me out with ideas.

My mums neighbours always get me and my son a really nice gift so I always get them something in return. I've got the 2 girls and mum something but can't think of anything for dad and son.

SON: he'll be nearly 8 at Christmas. Last year he was really into Marvel stuff - is that still big this year? My mums already got him a Nerf Gun so nothing too similar.

DAD - Don't really know him at all (I know his face but don't think we've ever spoken). He's Muslim and doesn't drink so can't give a bottle of booze and a lot of the posh chocolates that are suitable for gifts aren't halal. He's early 30s if that's any help.

I want something that they're really going to like/is useful as opposed to being opened then put to one side and forgotten about. Budget is under £20. So... any ideas??

SingaporeSlinky Fri 20-Oct-17 21:11:40

Sorry no actual ideas to give you, but in future years could you not just give a gift for the whole family to share? I know we don't give to receive, but they're buying 2 gifts and you're having to reciprocate with 5? That's a lot of thought (and expense) you're having to put into neighbours of your mum. Personally I'd give a hamper or something in return.

DaisysStew Fri 20-Oct-17 21:19:08

The hampers a good idea actually, I've already bought the girls gifts but was going to get mums and the others next week so I might do a joint gift for parents.

Normally for people I don't really know it's a cheap gift, but MrsNDN really spoiled my son last year - the gift bag was bigger than him! So I feel like I need to spend a bit more than I normally would just to save embarrassment.

SingaporeSlinky Fri 20-Oct-17 21:26:23

But as she's buying for one child, and you're buying for 3, maybe she feels yours should be bigger to compensate. Don't feel you should buy extravagent ones for all 5 in return. I would definitely get a joint present for the parents. The children could share a board game next year.

RupertsMum2 Fri 20-Oct-17 21:40:08

I know you have the girls gifts this year but in future years a family cinema ticket might be an idea. My dsis and bil do this every year for their friend who is a single parent with 4 dc. That way they could have a great day/evening out in the new year.

We give our next door neighbours a nice hamper most years. There's just the two of them but they are generous to our 3dc.

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Sat 21-Oct-17 12:42:39

Emma bridge water mugs for parents with posh coffee and. Iscuits? There's still 15% off I think and if you used a referral you'd get a free mug

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now