Talk

Advanced search

Present help please.

(14 Posts)
PutYourBracesTogether Wed 18-Oct-17 13:35:30

Things are tight financially this year, so instead of buying individual presents, I'm thinking of a gift per household.
This to be shared between parents and children.
I've come up with board games..... Any other ideas?
smile

Spam88 Wed 18-Oct-17 13:42:48

Board games is a good one, and some travel games can easily pass for proper games (5 Second Rule springs to mind). Only other thing I can think of is edible stuff. Or maybe a little film night hamper? DVD, popcorn and some of those popcorn boxes (sometimes have them in the pound shop).

Jaffacakesinmypocket Wed 18-Oct-17 14:45:21

Film night hamper is a good idea.

What about festive baking set like a mason jar with dry ingredients in and a little card with instructions tied with ribbon, you might be able to find festive cupcake papers or baking trays to complete. Could be done quite cheaply I think.

PutYourBracesTogether Wed 18-Oct-17 15:32:29

Great ideas so far..... thank you.

secondhoneymoon Wed 18-Oct-17 20:17:19

What is your budget per an what are the ages of the children (by family if more than one family)

Taffeta Wed 18-Oct-17 20:26:18

Along the same lines, as a family we love the card game Happy Families and Jenga.

Puzzle?

Normalserviceissuspended Wed 18-Oct-17 20:38:40

I don't think many people have a dvd player anymore- we don't.

I would approach the families and ask not to do gifts anymore. Buying stuff just for the sake of it is a waste.

Avebury Wed 18-Oct-17 21:15:06

Beat the Parents is a good game for families with primary aged children

PutYourBracesTogether Wed 18-Oct-17 21:35:26

Thanks everyone.
DC ages range from 6-16.
I don't think the teenagers will be interested in board games.

Normalservice I think you're right.
Christmas does feel like this endless exchange of stuff

NapQueen Wed 18-Oct-17 21:37:01

Cinema vouchers

KC225 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:39:06

Everyone I know still has a DVD. I love the film night idea. Perhaps add a film quiz too or a list of trivia in with the pack.

Board game is also a good idea. Friend bought us exploding kittens last year and the kids are 10 so it appealed to their still juvenile sense of humour.

WaxOnFeckOff Fri 20-Oct-17 14:15:31

I don't think the teenagers will be interested in board games.

Mine still are smile and they are 17 and 16.

This has been a surprise hit:

www.johnlewis.com/big-potato-ok-play-game/p2757420

You can play dvds/blurays through most games consoles and most families have one of them it seems.

Vouchers for something - some kind of activity or pizza express or nandos or something?

jo10000 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:14:27

I was in B and M today and they had 'movie hampers' (popcorn and sweets in a large box) for less than £5. Add a dvd ti it and you're done.

Geepee71 Sat 21-Oct-17 19:46:40

I'd go for the hamper idea too, you can add stuff that's relevant.
Last year I purchased initial mugs from M&S for everyone, added some small chocolate items, either choc sprouts, or small hotel chocolate chocolates and that seemed well rceived.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: