Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about m+s christmas dinner please!

(15 Posts)
extendthis Sun 15-Oct-17 07:50:54

We're having building work done and it looks like there may be some delays which will stretch into the new year, making christmas dinner awkward hmm I've been looking into alternatives but lunch at nearby hotels is shockingly expensive shock so that's out.

I've read a lot on mn about the legendary m+s xmas dinner. Is it really all it's cracked up to be? Does the food come already cooked and it's just a matter of reheating it or what?

Our nearest m+s is a 90 minute drive so it would be a bit of faff but if it saves us the stress of trying to churn a dinner out on a semi-building site it would be worth it!

Zampa Sun 15-Oct-17 07:55:15

I've used M&S food at Christmas before and it's good. Hassle free! I'd recommend doing your own potatoes though as pre-prepared roasts don't do it for me.

VeryPunny Sun 15-Oct-17 07:57:31

It just needs to be unwrapped and cooked. The instructions on the packaging are foolproof. That said, this year I am doing a bit more DIY because the vegetable side deal doesn’t have the veggies I want.

It would be easy to just get a supermarket turkey crown, frozen carrot batons (or fridge tray if you don’t have a freezer), ditto for sprouts and spuds (some of the goose/duck fat frozen roast potatoes are excellent) and have a low effort Christmas meal for less. That said, I have been happy with the quality and ease of the M&S one.

milkysmum Sun 15-Oct-17 08:14:26

Gosh I wouldn't drive 90 mins to get it no matter how great it might be. I would use your local supermarket and get the pre prepared stuff you need from there.

Oncewaswho Sun 15-Oct-17 09:00:21

It saves on all the prep but you still have to cook/heat it all up which is quite faffy. We only tried it once and it wasn't a patch on homemade either, not worth the premium cost. I'd go with the turkey crown, pre-prepped veg, frozen roasties/yorkies suggestion in your situation.

extendthis Sun 15-Oct-17 09:26:07

Ah so it's just all pre-prepped then? Don't know where I got the idea of all the food being cooked already, I was trying to figure out how that would even work blush

I'd imagine I would be able to recreate it with conveniece foods from Tesco and Lild finest then, although it might not be as tasty.

My local hotel is actually doing a takeaway christmas dinner and I'm seriously tempted but the problem is, if it's crap it'll be too late to do anything about it.

0hCrepe Sun 15-Oct-17 09:29:08

I recommended this for my mum but she looked into it and it all seems to be booked up already anyway.

Autumndays14 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:30:21

We had it once and it was nice (m&s food always is!) however we found it quite rich. All the veg bits had been pimped up with added garlic, or honey glaze, bacon and stuff. I would do it again but with more plain sides. I bet you could definitely recreate it at another supermarket though! Or why not go out for lunch? If you're doing building works (I've been there...) might be nice to enjoy a yummy meal outside the house and not have to deal with washing up all the plates in the bathroom sink !

0hCrepe Sun 15-Oct-17 09:32:18

Actually I've just had a look and maybe she was getting a message from last year!!

JangleJangleJangle Sun 15-Oct-17 10:15:56

You think it's going to save you so much time on the day.

But it doesn't really because it's only the prep it cuts out - which can be done beforehand.

Still a lot of messing around on the day with timings egg.

This year I'm doing my own. I know the timings without thinking about it so that will be a lot easier and will just prep as much as possible beforehand.

Hoppinggreen Sun 15-Oct-17 10:19:52

I usually Cook everything from scratch but on Xmas day it's M&S all the way. The starters and everything are prepped and I just need to to stick various things in the oven at different times
Don't have to spend too much time in the kitchen so I can relax and enjoy the kids with their pressies.
I know you can do the prep yourself but we usually go out Xmas eve anyway

ipswichwitch Sun 15-Oct-17 10:23:01

We get it, mainly because it's the prep that I hate! I get the turkey crown, pigs in blankets, gravy and a few other bits, but get the veg from Tesco or wherever. That's mainly because the veg comes a a package, including sprouts which nobody here will ever eat.

Taffeta Sun 15-Oct-17 11:32:32

Do Cook deliver in your area? Excellent quality and they do Christmas lunch bundles.

www.cookfood.net/info/Shopping-Online/

Shockers Sun 15-Oct-17 11:38:21

What area are you in? My uncle booked a cottage and 'cooked' us all a Christmas dinner in late November last year, as he was going overseas. It was made up of entirely pre-prepared stuff from Booths. DD declared it the best Christmas dinner she'd ever had hmm. It was pretty tasty though.

Apileofballyhoo Sun 15-Oct-17 12:03:49

I've got bits and pieces over the years. The duck used to be delicious - people fighting over the last bit - but I was very disappointed last year. Cat got a lot of it and it wasn't bloody cheap. Merry Christmas, Puss!

Turkey is turkey is turkey, the handy thing is that all you have to do is take off the wrapping and shove it in. I like the vegetarian stuffing, but not the meat one. Turkey gravy was OK last year. I never get the veg or potatoes, I can do those myself. I boil my own ham on Christmas Eve and only need to bake it on Christmas Day. I did ham, duck, turkey and lamb (fussy guests) and it would have been very hard if 2 of those hadn't been M&S - off with the packaging and into the oven. I might just get the turkey this year though.

I've never tried any of the packaged stuff from other shops as the Marks is gluten free which is a necessity for us.

The sides/finger food type are a bit hit and miss. Things I've tried tend not to be ordered again really.

DS wants to do really simple food this year so the day isn't taken up with dinner. He's suggested salad and pasta. Bless him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now