Advanced search

Help me create a posh Christmas table

(6 Posts)
BanyanTree Sat 14-Oct-17 15:42:03

Every year I make a Christmas purchase to add to my decoration stash. These are things I want to keep forever. So this year I want to invest in my Christmas table decorations. I don't have any at all. I do have decent plates, cutlery and glasses but I want to create a nice theme for Christmas lunch and Boxing Day to include a table cloth, placemats, coasters, nice table decs and candles.

I can't decide between red, gold or silver and white.

Any ideas?

BrieAndChilli Sat 14-Oct-17 15:44:48

I do red silver and white , that is the colour of all my decorations in the lounge/diner

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 14-Oct-17 15:56:27

I do a different table theme each year fgrin

I have large white oval plates as a base
Some different table covers -cream , (my most ££ one), dark green, pure white.
Some of the sheer mesh/chiffoney material with tiny silver spots (washes well in a laundry bag) to layer over

Some runners - green/red holly pattern, dark silver, gold
Candleabra (silver)

If you have a HomeSense or TKMaxx they've got some gorgeous plates in. You could layer up your white plates (main meal) with patterned (starter)
Some nice glasswear.

I like the warmer shades (gold , green , red) for Christmas and white/silver for New Year.

MrsHathaway Sat 14-Oct-17 15:59:21

I think red accessories on a crisp white tablecloth with plain white crockery looks very elegant indeed at the same time as being very festive. I think you could happily have silver and white touches but I'd go for a lovely holly red.

In fact I've very recently bought a red table runner and place mats - they're red felt so heatproof.

I'm loving the glass and candles look which is very popular on Pinterest this year. E.g. goldfish style bowl half full of water with fresh cranberries and candles floating. I don't think I'll achieve it this year because my youngest will still be only 4 and let's just say not the most careful of children. I'll be using red column LED candles from IKEA instead, and no glass that doesn't have wine in it grin

Have you joined us on Poncetastic 2017 for similar style ideas?

Candlesonthetable Sun 15-Oct-17 08:10:51

Despite my username I find having too many things on my Christmas table gets in the way of all the food I want to put on it. So in the last couple of years I have suspended decorations from the ceiling over my table. You need to get the height right so they don't block people's view but it is very effective. I have used baubles and candles hung from the ceiling. I've used ribbon, fishing wire, cotton and even gold chains (thin ones from homebase) to hang them.

KC225 Sun 15-Oct-17 13:10:37

I bought some bells from primark last last. They were about the size of a walnut. I bought a box or red white and silver and put them around some pinetree foliage. They looked lovely against the dark green and were so cheap. I added thick white candles.

I also love Spode Christmas tree design, it's the original since the 30'a O tjink. I have the mugs and two platters which come out on December 1st for anyone coming for coffee.

Also look on pintrest for ideas, you can.loose a good few hours looking up table decorations on there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now