Talk

Advanced search

What's everyone doing for Christmas Dessert?

(94 Posts)
LibertyHill Fri 13-Oct-17 14:44:33

I usually do triffle and little Christmas puddings but feel like a change this year as some of the guests are not overly keen on them, although they will eat them.

I've been looking through recipes and the one I think will appeal to everyone is Chestnut puree Mont Blanc. Would love to hear what you are doing (incase I change my mind...again!)

FatBastardHead Fri 13-Oct-17 14:46:47

shock

We never, ever, ever have pudding on Christmas day because we eat until we're fit to burst. Then all left overs (not from individual plates but from centre plates) get piled on to one tray and we spend all afternoon and night picking at it while drinking copious amounts of booze.

Boxing day me and DH usually pick our favourite puddings and have our own individual. I get a sticky toffee pudding and DH will get something big and pastry and chocolate.

Sunnydaysrock Fri 13-Oct-17 14:47:13

I've done Jamie Oliver's winter ice cream bomb before, worth the effort.

FatBastardHead Fri 13-Oct-17 14:47:56

We never ever make anything for Christmas food either. One of the joys of Christmas is being able to eat junk from bags and packets. Even our roast potatoes are pre-made grin

macnab Fri 13-Oct-17 15:57:48

Well it wouldn't be Christmas without triffle and I always do a lemon meringue roulade too, you know, as something light (any excuse) so I'll be doing both of those this year and considering treating myself to this as well because it sounds fab and I'm a greedy cow

PickleSarnie Fri 13-Oct-17 16:01:21

I'm doing this. Did it last year for New Years. It's good because you can do it in advance. It's not that tricky and looks impressive. It's only as good as the ingredients though so definitely worth getting decent icecream.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/millionaires-ice-cream-bombe

NoWordForFluffy Fri 13-Oct-17 16:32:50

I'm going to make this Christmas cake cheesecake as I think it'll be light enough to be appreciated, rather than a heavy cake / pudding.

noramum Fri 13-Oct-17 16:35:06

We did a Pana Cotta with raspberry sauce last year. It is done in individual portions so can be as small or large as you want it to be:

We did it the day before as it needs to set and was really good.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Fri 13-Oct-17 16:36:29

A sloe gin and spiced berry Eton mess, and a cheese board

PodgeBod Fri 13-Oct-17 16:55:08

Yule log here. We are very much dessert people so don't mind something rich. Might buy meringue nests as well as 2yo loves them.

LibertyHill Fri 13-Oct-17 17:30:35

Great ideas, love how impressive the millionaires ice cream bomb looks and I like the idea of making ahead of time.

Yule log and cheeseboard will be on the menu too.

Frege Fri 13-Oct-17 17:51:02

Christmas pudding- we all love it. Plus lots of cheese.

There is usually a yule log knocking about as well as that's our trad pudding on Christmas Eve. And birthday cake from DS's birthday on 23rd confused

MrsMotherHen Fri 13-Oct-17 18:16:01

mince pie tart like this picture.
Will also do individual ones too but the tart is for the table then mini individual trifles.

TheWorldIsMyCakePop Fri 13-Oct-17 18:17:06

I'm leaning towards little steam sponges with ice cream/cream/custard or those melt in the middle ones... it's just the 4 of us as far as I know so nothing fancy.

confused123456 Fri 13-Oct-17 18:18:13

We always have trifle for dessert. Then mince pies, Xmas cake, Xmas pudding and Yule log with ice cream, cream or custard for early evening.
We have normal size portions. I don't understand the need to be greedy with portions just because it's Xmas day

CadburySpot Fri 13-Oct-17 18:25:37

We always have Christmas pudding and a Yule log with lots of cream

HeyMicky Fri 13-Oct-17 18:26:32

We'll be in Australia so it will be pavlova and an ice cream christmas pudding

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Fri 13-Oct-17 18:28:50

Christmas pudding (home-made to Delia Smith recipe) with thick cream and vanilla ice cream. I have it with cream, my husband has it with ice cream, our daughter has it with both. Son doesn't like Christmas pudding (sigh) so I get him something else ready made. We have a digestive pause after the main course but it wouldn't be Christmas dinner without Christmas pudding.

NotCitrus Fri 13-Oct-17 18:30:03

Christmas pudding, Yule log and fruit bowl and cheese board. The Yule log might be home made but as it's mainly for the kids, probably not.

InTheRoseGarden Fri 13-Oct-17 18:36:35

Pavlova with raspberries and cream.

BlaWearie Fri 13-Oct-17 18:48:33

I usually do a pavlova wreath. Really easy to make and looks impressive covered in berries and edible glitter.

ny20005 Fri 13-Oct-17 20:06:32

I made a toblerone cheesecake last year but I can’t decide what I want this year

WeAllHaveWings Fri 13-Oct-17 20:29:54

I had a baileys cheesecake last year at SIL so going to try one myself this year.

travelmad Fri 13-Oct-17 20:33:08

We'll have a Christmas pudding on the actual day, but at our big family Christmas get-together I'm going to do a Christmas pudding cheesecake, a gingerbread trifle and a cheeseboard.

Squeakymoo Fri 13-Oct-17 20:55:00

Pannacotta with cherries, nice and easy can keep in the fridge for a couple of days if we are too full just un-mould for those who want and spoon the cherries on the side job done.
I might make a lemon tart with cream
I do have and mince pies but these can be eaten at any time. I do buy a Christmas pud but people are usually too full

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: