Talk

Advanced search

Christmassy songs that aren't actually Christmas songs...

(35 Posts)
Namechangetothemax Thu 12-Oct-17 10:43:05

Nearly half term so I'm just starting to think about my Christmas music playlist! I like to listen to songs that make you feel Christmassy that aren't just the classic Christmas cheese.

So far I've got things like some Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald, the Yule Ball music from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the intro music from Home Alone, the piano version of The Way You Look Tonight...

So what are your favourite songs that give you that warm Christmassy feeling inside? I'm open to all genres except perhaps Slade ;)

ToEarlyForDecorations Thu 12-Oct-17 10:48:45

For some reason I find the song, 'the frog chorus' Christmassy sounding.

Also the Madonna song, 'Dear Jessie' sounds Christmassy I don't know why.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 12-Oct-17 18:04:57

Has to be "Fairytale of New York" (Pogues) those first few piano notes give me goosebumps (yes I know it mentions Christmas Eve but its so anti festive(

And Chris Rea -"Girl in a Sportscar"

CourtneyLoveIsMySpiritAnimal Thu 12-Oct-17 18:17:26

For some reason I find the song, 'the frog chorus' Christmassy sounding.

Me too. Probably because it was first released around November time so will still have been playing at Christmas. I actually love that song, it brings back some great childhood memories.

NoWordForFluffy Thu 12-Oct-17 18:21:25

Stay Another Day by E17. Bloody love that song!

drwitch Thu 12-Oct-17 18:22:57

Stop the calvary Jonathan lewie

McDougal Thu 12-Oct-17 18:25:54

Viva la Vida by Coldplay. I think it’s the bells smile

gincamelbak Thu 12-Oct-17 18:28:18

Songs that were on a video my parents recorded from Christmas Top of The Pops in the early 1980s. It had The Snowman on it too so when we watched that around Christmas time we also watched the TOTP.

Flying Pickets: only you
Elaine Paige and Barbara Dixon: I know him so well
queen: I want to break free

I can't remember the rest - if I could watch that video again I'd be in heaven grin

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Thu 12-Oct-17 18:30:16

Leroy Anderson, Sleigh Ride

MeganChips Thu 12-Oct-17 18:32:55

Frankie goes to Hollywood - the power of love
Chris de Burgh - A spacemen came travelling (guilty pleasure!)

EivissaSenorita Thu 12-Oct-17 18:36:29

Always have, Always Will Ace of Base

MrsPworkingmummy Thu 12-Oct-17 18:51:30

@NoWordForFluffy Awww me too. That was the first cassette single I bought. I'm sure it was Christmas number 1?

I absolutely love the carols 'Oh Holy Night' and 'Carol of the Bells' too, although they are very obviously Christmas

I find 'Flying in the Air' synonymous with Christmas too.

MrsPworkingmummy Thu 12-Oct-17 18:54:13

Or 'Walking in the Air' blush

thismeansnothing Thu 12-Oct-17 18:57:18

The cave by Mumford and sons

DryHeave Thu 12-Oct-17 19:00:54

Goose Snow Cone by Aimee Mann
River by Joni Mitchell

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 12-Oct-17 19:02:46

A child is born by Jonny Mathis.

In Dulce Jubilo by Mike Oldfield always has me skipping about too, love it. Not just for Christmas, all year around.

ClashCityRocker Thu 12-Oct-17 19:05:30

I'd go back through Christmas number ones...

'mad world' by some bloke who wasn't the small faces makes me feel Christmassy coz it was everywhere one Christmas.

PerfumeIsAMessage Thu 12-Oct-17 19:09:52

I think a lot of songs that were in the charts (yes, I'm that old) remind us of Christmas.

My oh My- Slade (I traipsed through snow to get to a Slade gig in a pub that year)
Stay Another Day East 17
Dear Jessie- Madonna (it was in the charts in November 89- <sad chart nerd emoticon> so would remind us of Christmas)
Spaceman Came Travelling became a Christmas song when it featured for some reason on the Now That's What I Call Christmas (or some such title double Christmas album in 1984- my first Christmas at university and we bought the album and wore it to death (from about October onwards!)
Bucks Fizz Land of Make Believe
Midge Ure- Hymn (had forgotten this but bloody love it, and it's another November release)
A Winter's Tale- David Essex.

I'm not an 80s girl me, oh no, not at all. grin

Great thread and I'm now going to end up going down the youtube wormhole for days!

NellyTimes Thu 12-Oct-17 19:13:23

tooearly I totally agree with Frog Chorus and Dear Jessie, they are always on my Christmas playlist.

Other songs for me include:
Once Upon A Long Ago by Paul MacCartney
When You Come Back To Me by Jason Donovan
Stop by Erasure (although the Crackers International ep was released as a Christmas record)
9am by Londonbeat
Keeping The Dream Alive by Freiheit.

Probably a few more, I'll have a think

tistheseason2bjolly Thu 12-Oct-17 19:41:14

Toys R Us TV advert theme song smile

fishchipspeasandgravy Thu 12-Oct-17 19:42:50

Housemartins - Caravan of Love

Namechangetothemax Thu 12-Oct-17 19:55:30

Ooh wow loads of ideas, thanks! I'll have a lovely afternoon listening to all these and seeing if they raise that fuzzy feeling in me too smile Funny how some songs just make you feel Christmassy for no apparent reason. Another one that does it for me is Respect by Erasure; maybe I heard it at a Christmas party back in the 80s?!

Namechangetothemax Thu 12-Oct-17 20:00:44

gincamelback - love that story! How many memories must we have from incidental stuff we recorded of the telly and the radio which then got replayed and replayed until the tape literally gave up?! My kids are missing out with their on demand technology...

Wayfarersonbaby Thu 12-Oct-17 20:01:00

Freiheit - Keeping the Dream Alive - it was released at Christmas, I think in the late 80s....very Christmassy for me!

ohanabanana Thu 12-Oct-17 20:11:01

2000 miles by The Pretenders
Pipes of peace- Paul McCartney
2 become 1 Spice Girls
Any song from any John Lewis advert ever

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now