Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Laptop for 16yo Dd.

(14 Posts)
skippy67 Thu 12-Oct-17 07:18:48

I'd like to buy dd16 a laptop. Any recommendations please? Budget £200 to £300. Thanks.

tistheseason2bjolly Thu 12-Oct-17 07:30:51

What would DD do on the laptop?

skippy67 Thu 12-Oct-17 11:50:36

Hopefully mainly homework! She's not into gaming. Probably netflix and usual social media stuff.

skippy67 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:42:27

Bump.

FoxInABox Sun 15-Oct-17 09:52:27

I’m looking for similar recommendation too and same price range, hope somebody knowledgeable comes along as I’m a bit lost on what to look for!

loopsdefruit Sun 15-Oct-17 10:16:54

Chrome book?

LaughingElliot Sun 15-Oct-17 10:20:27

A decent Acer or Dell would be more than adequate for those requirements.

MuddlingThroughLife Sun 15-Oct-17 19:54:44

Placemarking!

Dd1 wants a laptop. Dd2 wants a tablet for netflix/you tube but I'm considering a chromebook for her so she can use it as a laptop for homework too.

skippy67 Sun 15-Oct-17 20:57:36

Sorry, I should've said I don't want to get a Chrome book.

loopsdefruit Mon 16-Oct-17 01:19:18

You'll struggle to find a good quality full size laptop that can withstand use by a 16 year old, for your budget. Could you get a tablet with higher specs?

safariboot Mon 16-Oct-17 01:42:13

Can't give specific recommendations but some general advice.

I would recommend at least 4 GB of RAM. Any less and it will struggle to run multiple programs at once. For example Word open to write an essay, Firefox with several tabs for research, and a music player.

It's got to be a full-size keyboard IMHO. If you measure from the centre of the Q to the centre of the P that's 17.2 cm. If it's smaller, even if it's something like 95% normal size, that just ruins touch-typing. (I got caught out by that on a Bluetooth keyboard I bought recentl). If you'll be shopping with DD, go to PC World and let her try out the keyboards on the display models; it's one of the things you can quite easily judge.

Doesn't need to be too large. I'd say 12-14 inch screen is reasonable. Smaller and they start to put in the not-full-size keyboards I mentioned, bigger is just kind of unnecessary.

For your price you'll see two options for storage: eMMC which is a memory chip, and regular hard drives. Unless DD is doing photography or film courses I think I'd prefer the eMMC, it's faster so the computer and programs start up quicker, even though you get a lot less storage.

If you get your new computer and it's slow as snot, it might be unnecessary antivirus software preinstalled. Windows 10 has its own antivirus so the likes of Norton and McAffee can be removed. That made a big difference to our Dell.

Touchscreen is nice to have but you might not get it in budget.

Encourage DD to treat the laptop with care. Cheap laptops aren't always as robust as better ones.

A 'forever' copy of Microsoft Office is not included and will be required for schoolwork. Some laptops come with a 1-year free subscription but after that you'll have to pay.

If you want something very cheap that's not awful, consider www.getonlineathome.org/ . But I think DD might be disappointed by a second-hand computer.

Isadora2007 Mon 16-Oct-17 01:51:10

We are looking at getting dd an iPad and a brydge keyboard which kind of makes it like a small laptop. Not cheap at £469 all in...but then can be used as just the iPad and included a 3 year warranty for the iPad from JL.

skippy67 Mon 16-Oct-17 07:05:14

Thanks loops. That's all really helpful.

Mum2OneTeen Mon 16-Oct-17 07:50:08

We have just bought a laptop for DDs 17th birthday which is in two weeks. We wanted one that she could use at school and uni later. She is not a gamer or into graphic design, and will probably use it for research, typing essays, internet browsing, and wasting time on social media.

The one we got is fantastic! I've just had it going to set it up for her (anti-virus etc) so that it will be ready to go on her birthday. It is is an Acer Aspire "Modern Laptop" with a 13" high definition touch screen that will be large enough to see but small enough to cart around. It is very thin also, unlike my lumbering full size HP laptop. I'm very jealous!

The only thing with the smaller laptops is that they don't come with a DVD drive. I don't think that will be problem as everything seems to be downloaded now, but I did buy a cheap external DVD (which attaches to the laptop via USB) for about £15 from Ebay in order to be able to load on Microsoft Office from my discs.

It has an Intel hardcore (which is faster than the cheaper AMD) at operates at 2.5ghz (this is the processing speed, the higher the better) and it has 256gb storage (which is quite a bit). And it has 8gb RAM. I looked at reviews online before deciding and was partly influenced by local availability (I live in rural Australia so not too much any shopping choice), but having said that, I'm really happy with it.

The price was more than £300, but it could well be cheaper in the UK. Everything costs more here, especially as I couldn't shop around in a city. Also, the model we bought is available with a regular screen and 4gb RAM (instead of 8gb) at a cheaper price (but not where I live). Anyway, it's worth checking out and google online reviews before deciding. The cheapest budget laptops are frustratingly slow, so avoid those.

So the laptop model we got is: ACER ASPIRE S5-371T-58 CN 13.3" Modern PC Laptop. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now