Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What does xx want for Christmas

(8 Posts)
RB68 Wed 11-Oct-17 23:53:49

Its started already - the real answer is either I don't know or things this person wld go - "oooh no I am not buying that" to

So what can 86 yr old Granny get a 12 yr old girl? She usually gets clothes but its getting to the point where child wants to do her own shopping but granny wants to buy something. SO I was trying to think of a thing easily bought on high street particularly M&S or WHSmiths and the like?? Still got my side of the family to think for as well - I love she gets stuff she wants but by the time Christmas comes I am out of ideas. Oh about £50

d270r0 Thu 12-Oct-17 19:52:45

Books from book people. In my experience Grannys love these

LittleMousewithcloggson Thu 12-Oct-17 20:32:57

My nearly 90 year old MIL is buying my 9 year old "the worst witch" book box set (£7), a selection box (£3) and a £40 Primark voucher. Granny gets to wrap and give proper presents and DD gets to do her own shopping. Maybe suggest something similar?

girlywhirly Fri 13-Oct-17 09:58:09

Could Granny buy an accessory e.g belt, or hat to wrap and add vouchers for DD to spend herself on clothes?

noramum Fri 13-Oct-17 10:10:12

My mum and we live in different countries so she doesn't really know what pre-teens are up to now and what DD already has.

We normally stay safe with books or audiobooks. DD normally gives a selection of titles she likes and my mum tells me which one she got.

We also have two shops where I know DD likes tops from so my mum sometimes adds one from them. I know they fit, so no issue with returns.

If I give her certain brands for smellies she is happy to buy something like that.

Could you go shopping together so you can guide your mum around but still leaves her with the final decision?

RB68 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:30:05

We don't live close by so the shopping together won't happen. She may go for some books and vouchers will give that a try, she doesn't do online and doesn't want us to do the shopping for her to wrap.

Alot of this is about her issues - fiercely independent, doesn't want us to know what she gets either (which is another issue) and does buy lovely things so am trying to work with it!! Her mobility isn't great so I know she basically gets to M&S and then gets assistance from one of the floor staff, but also hates being a nuisance as she sees it so likes to know what she is getting...

My own Mother told me off for being too organised "she is not thinking of christmas yet" as she says - has its own consequences!!!

WaxOnFeckOff Mon 16-Oct-17 11:35:25

How about a nice make up or skin care set? Maybe not M&S but Boots should definitely have something? You could just give her a few brands and leave her to pick?

A nice back pack or bag from a given brand?

PJs and dressing gown? Even M&S must have something a 12 year old would wear, especially as she doesn't need to wear it outside wink

Chipsahoy Tue 17-Oct-17 16:36:54

I used to circle things in the boots catalogue for my grandma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now