Talk

Advanced search

Christmas present for 2 month old, but emigrating.

(9 Posts)
EliseC1965 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:22:28

My stepson and his wife and new baby are coming for Christmas, but are all travelling back to Turks and Caicos after as he’s teaching there and she’s going to start when baby’s old enough for nursery.

Obviously I want to get them some pressies, but they have to be lighter and small enough for luggage. As they are staying for 4 days over Christmas, I thought about some sort of playmat. I know my 2 used to lie for hours under theirs, kicking and batting things away.

Any other ideas? I don’t want to go for clothes as this is the first baby for this generation ( I get to be a step-granny!) I think there will be a deluge of babygrows and cute Christmas jumpers.

TIA.

Changerofname987654321 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:36:28

A play mat will take up lots of space. A nice book or a Sophie the giraffe.

sjd84 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:46:44

A really nice Christmas book that they can bring out year after year, e.g. the night before Christmas; a special soft toy or a Lamaze toy?

MiniMileyMoo Sun 08-Oct-17 20:19:53

I think a lovely book too - there's a nice Christmas Peter Rabbit story, or I often gift Peepo or 'The Baby's Catalogue' by Alan Ahlberg. Jojo Mama Bebe do lovely soft toys and gift things. Or Aden and Anais do beautiful muslin/lightweight blankets, would be great in a hot country as they can double as playmats/sunshades/towels!

OhOfCourse Sun 08-Oct-17 20:38:27

I’m a fan of a personalised story or nursery rhyme book. I gave one to my god daughter when she was born and wrote her a note inside.

Every time I visit her (she’s now thirteen) she brings it out to show me and tell me it’s her favourite book ❤️

BeardyDog8371 Sun 08-Oct-17 20:40:00

What about a keepsake?

A money box with the baby's name engraved? Silver keepsakes are really nice, depending on your budget.

Spudlet Sun 08-Oct-17 20:42:29

If you wanted to get them something bigger, could you have it shipped directly to their home and get them a small thing to open while they're with you? Perhaps a special little teddy or similar. DS had a lovely soft little teddy and blanket lovey thingy from M&S when he was really tiny.

EliseC1965 Sun 08-Oct-17 20:57:40

Love the blanket idea, as they can take it on the plane.

MrEBear Sun 08-Oct-17 23:26:49

I'd go for a token teether or comforter and money in their curency to buy something else when they are settled. Baby isn't going to be aware of any of it so really your buying for the parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now