Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone stayed at a posh hotel for Christmas?

(28 Posts)
sarahjconnor Sun 08-Oct-17 15:50:20

It's my fantasy to stay at Gleneagles for Xmas. Arrive by train and stay right thru to new year. It'll never happen unless I will the lottery thou!

Has anyone done it? Please tell me everything? Is it as good as I imagine?
grin

Backingvocals Sun 08-Oct-17 15:51:30

We were thinking about this too. Prob too late and too expensive but interested in the lack of work for me...

2014newme Sun 08-Oct-17 15:51:42

We've done it between Xmas and new year a few times. Fabulous. Expensive though

sarahjconnor Sun 08-Oct-17 20:30:03

2014 where did you stay?

sarahjconnor Sun 08-Oct-17 20:30:32

Backing - not too late but for me far too expensive

A1Sharon Sun 08-Oct-17 22:44:36

I have friends that go for NY I think, 2 adults and their kids. They love it!
I know someone else who goes with their child to another well known hotel for Christmas. She says it's amazing. Everything done for you, kids all join up and play with al their toys, cycling up and down corridors etc. Their child is an only so loves the company.

SymphonyofShadows Mon 09-Oct-17 22:55:02

Not exactly Christmas but we are going to a wedding in the 'lull' between Christmas and NY. Staying in an apartment in a trendy hotel that the wedding is at, in a city that I haven't been to before, so I'm really looking forward to it.

MotherOfBeagles Mon 09-Oct-17 23:51:25

My colleague does this and honestly it sounds magical. Her, dh, 3xdc and grandparents (that's all the family she has) books into a hotel from Xmas eve to the day after Boxing Day. They get three meals a day, there's a disco, a proper sit down meal each day, pool/spa all sorts. Basically get spoilt rotten for 4 days and don't have to cook or clean up a thing. It's not the cheapest option obviously but she says they worked out how much they'd spend on booze and food at home and it's not that much more.

If I could I'd seriously be doing the same!

WeeM Tue 10-Oct-17 06:58:51

We did it once as a one off. Not as posh as Gleneagles but it was amazing. It cost a lot of money though so it won't be happening again any time soon! Waking up in a nice hotel room on Xmas day was lovely and the hotel had loads of things on to make it really special. Now I want to go back!

LavenderHills Tue 10-Oct-17 11:02:10

We're doing four nights in a fancy hotel in Budapest over Christmas this year. All family are on the other side of the world, and we'll be seeing them in January anyway, so we thought why not? I am HUGELY looking forward to it!

Normalserviceissuspended Tue 10-Oct-17 11:10:04

Loads of times. Used to alternate years.

Outside the UK it isn't a big thing, so usually Santa on Christmas eve, a gift at turndown, special breakfast, good lunch- often free flow brunch. Then thats it.

Many hotels have their restaurant closed on Christmas night- so snacks from a shop/take-away! One has the doorman in a 5 star hotel in the USA order pizza for us and another family as the hotel did no food at all on Christmas day after breakfast.

I am staying in a very nice London hotel this Christmas and they don't even have a traditional christmas lunch in offer.

2014newme Tue 10-Oct-17 11:10:05

No way would it work out more or less
same cost as staying at home. It's very very expensive to go for Christmas somewhere of the quality of gleneagles.
@motherofbeagles I'm guessing your colleague goes somewhere not in that league

sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 16:48:50

For my family of 4 Gleneagles would be £8500 grin

I think I'll have to pass but will keep dreaming!

I once stayed at a Guest house in jamaica and that was amazing but due to the warmth and love of the staff not the facilities!

sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 16:49:32

WeeM where were you? Sound bliss

ImogenTubbs Tue 10-Oct-17 16:54:33

Stayed at the Grand Hotel in Eastbourne once - was very nice. Extremely sparkly and twinkly, complimentary Verve Cliquot and chocolates in your room and mulled wine and mince pies in the lobby every day at 5pm, next to the giant Christmas tree. Choir singing carols on Christmas Eve. Lovely Christmas dinner with live band and entertainer going from table to table. Great fun. Would do it again if it wasn't a freaking fortune.

2014newme Tue 10-Oct-17 17:09:34

Exact op, it's incredibly expensive at xmas hat's why I don't think it's 'not much more' than staying at home as someone suggested! Did you check twixmas (between Xmas and new year) "

Lily2007 Tue 10-Oct-17 17:14:42

Haven't done anything close to that expensive but stayed in a hotel in Lapland over Christmas once and it was quite magical - Christmas meal with fireworks and Santa arriving on a reindeer, pool/spa/playcentre, reindeer and husky sledging etc, meeting the elves and making cookies for kids, entering Arctic circle. Plus avoiding relatives grin

sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 17:52:17

TWIXMAS! what a thing! I will investigate but its a mega save up treat for us to manage one night at the cheapest time - we do a premier inn each night to make max use of facilities hahaha

sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 17:53:17

I am so so happy reading about all these glamorous amazing Xmases! I am determined to make it one day! haha

ImogenTubbs Tue 10-Oct-17 18:00:16

Oooh, I remember - the Christmas dinner was proper silver service as well. The waiters all lifting the silver lids off the plates at the same instant with a dramatic flourish and the sommelier giving us a detailed explanation of the recommended wines.

We did it because my Gran was in a home in Eastbourne and was too old and frail to travel to us for Christmas, so we decided sod it, we'll treat her and us to a really special day - she loved it! She'd already had Christmas dinner in the home before we collected her (seriously, it was at about 11am - why do they DO that?) but she managed a second Christmas dinner just fine! smile

littlemissneela Tue 10-Oct-17 18:02:57

Ive done Boxing day dinner in a hotel which was odd for me, but never stayed away for Christmas in one. It does sound quite appealing now we are all, or will all be, adults by this Christmas.
I would love to stay in a big house with our friends for the Christmas/New Year period, but have seen the prices and they are ouch.

FaithAgain Tue 10-Oct-17 18:24:26

My family stayed in a nice hotel (think if was 3*, family run) in the Lakes when I was a teenager. It was lovely. You'd arrived 23rd or Christmas Eve. There was entertainment in the evenings. Christmas day they did cooked breakfast, big lunch and then a break before a buffet tea (but cold trout and whole pig type affair!). During the break we'd open presents and have a few drinks.
Boxing Day they did cooked breakfast and then organise a trip nearby - cruise on the lake for example, one year it was a quiz around the local town. We usually ended up in the pub! Then they had a disco and fancy dress competition which almost everyone joined in with. Most people headed home on 27th. It was great. The staff were really friendly - they never grumbled about working over Christmas, we'd always have a laugh. I don't think I'd do it with a really small kid but my sister and I were teenagers and had our own rooms. It's different to Christmas at home but more relaxed in some ways. No-one had to cook or fight over washing up!

sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 19:20:51

This all sounds so awesome! I will have to save £10 a week and make it before I die smile - I'll go alone to save £ and DH can heat up an M&S ready meal grin

I am intrigued by twixmas! What a thing to discover. A whole new opportunity for gluttony and sloth!

sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 19:21:28

I do think I'd miss the leftovers thou
But not that much

HyacinthBooquet Tue 10-Oct-17 19:26:40

his all sounds so awesome! I will have to save £10 a week and make it before I die

You'll get there one day OP smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now