Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you do 'santa'

(63 Posts)
peachy94 Sat 07-Oct-17 09:48:27

Growing up we had a main present from 'Santa' and the rest were from relatives and we knew who had given what. But for OH Santa brought all the presents from relatives and none actually came from him, like a glorified postman confused both of us think the others way is weird but we need to get our story straight this year for DS so how does everyone else do it?

dementedpixie Sat 07-Oct-17 09:50:53

Santa was responsible for presents that dh/I bought and the stocking. Everything else was from the person who bought them e.g. friends/ family

AdalindSchade Sat 07-Oct-17 09:51:04

I think your dh’s way is well weird
Santa’s elves make the presents and bring the ones they have made. They deliver a stocking full on Xmas eve. Everything under the tree is from relatives and friends. No ‘main’ present from Santa in my house.

dementedpixie Sat 07-Oct-17 09:52:50

We didn't say things were made by elves. We did say that although Santa brought the presents he used our money to pay for it which gave an explanation for why some children get more than others

Stompythedinosaur Sat 07-Oct-17 09:54:05

Father Christmas delivers a stocking and one larger present (often a joint present). Everything else from family and labelled.

TheNewMrs Sat 07-Oct-17 09:54:21

Santa brought everything in our house.. Any presents from grandparents/aunties and uncles etc we knew were from them, but everything else Santa brought.

Parents would wait until we were fast asleep and then bring all presents out of hiding and lay them out on the sofas. The only gifts we'd seen until then were the family ones that lived under the tree smile

GingerAndTheBiscuits Sat 07-Oct-17 09:54:36

Santa brings the "big" presents and stockings

No gifts from us to DC

All other gifts given from the giver, if that makes sense!

Bornfreebutinbiscuits Sat 07-Oct-17 10:00:53

both of us think the others way is weird

Its always amazes me how heavily influenced by our upbringing we are - even on stuff like this - then people who are religous say its a choice! But we are brainwashed by our dp even on stuff like this. grin

Op we give a small number of presents to the DC from us - under the tree a week before, this is in case FC cant make it. This is also so the dc have some presents to look at and poke before the big day.
DC get no presents from others at the time, so on xmas morning - the tree reveals its bounty from FC, a large no of gifts from FC are there.

GP give small gifts and these are from them at another date. and thats normal and how we should all do it so there

SquedgieBeckenheim Sat 07-Oct-17 10:03:13

Santa brings the stocking fillers, everything else comes from the person who bought it.

Snausage Sat 07-Oct-17 10:04:14

Peachy, your OH does it the same way my OH's family did/does it. I find it weird, too.

Here, Father Christmas brings the stockings during the night on Christmas Eve and the gifts from everyone else are put under the tree as and when they're received/wrapped.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sat 07-Oct-17 10:04:32

We and dcs always had stockings with little things only from Santa. Everything else, including anything bigger or more expensive, was from family. Aunts and uncles, grandparents, etc. were due a thank you letter once dcs old enough, if not there on the day.
It was still magical for me and dcs, now long grown up. Still have lovely memories of them charging in, so excited, on Christmas morning with their stockings, and opening them on our bed. Dog and cat often present, too!

Stockings always left on the end of the bed, and filled by Santa once children fast asleep.

VioletCharlotte Sat 07-Oct-17 10:06:49

I out house Santa brings the stocking preens. The rest are from me/ other people.This is how we did it when I was a child too.

CryHavoc Sat 07-Oct-17 10:07:11

Stockings are from Santa. Everything else is from the actual giver.

Shadow666 Sat 07-Oct-17 10:09:54

Stockings are from Santa. Everything else is from the actual giver.

Yes, us too. I prefer the kids to acknowledge gifts given to them from other people and say thank you!

kingfishergreen Sat 07-Oct-17 10:11:22

As per Havoc stockings are from the man in red, and everything else is from the giver.

Stocking presents are wrapped in red tissue paper, all other presents in Christmas wrapping paper.

Stocking presents can be opened in your bed as soon as you wake up (at 4am) tree presents require everyone to be up and dressed.

That's how it worked in my childhood, and until recently how I thought everyone did it.

Hulder Sat 07-Oct-17 10:12:22

Santa (Father Christmas) brought stockings overnight. In teenage years, these stockings grew in size to pillowcases grin

Everything else under tree labelled from their original givers. Including presents from Mum and Dad.

Bonelessbanquet Sat 07-Oct-17 10:21:48

DD gets one main present from Father Christmas, the rest - including stockings are from us and family.

ProfessorCat Sat 07-Oct-17 10:22:38

Father Christmas brings stockings.

Family bring actual presents.

Crumbs1 Sat 07-Oct-17 10:24:29

Stockings come from Father Christmas (never Santa) but are stocking presents not the main event - PJs, underwear, scent, books etc.
Family presents under the tree to be opened after Christmas lunch.

FlyFlyAway Sat 07-Oct-17 10:25:24

Father Christmas only brings stocking, no main present. All other gifts are from who they are from and go under tree as they get wrapped/delivered.

2ducks2ducklings Sat 07-Oct-17 10:28:37

Nothing is ever from Santa. He delivers the presents. We send out money to him and if he thinks the kids have behaved well enough, he'll bring the presents on Christmas Eve.

ClashCityRocker Sat 07-Oct-17 10:33:05

When we were kids we just had a mix. Relatives presents were from relatives so that we could thank them, most of the rest were from santa with the odd one from mum and dad or siblings.

YellowMakesMeSmile Sat 07-Oct-17 10:35:53

Santa is just the delivery man here, they know presents are paid for by us. Gifts from relatives and friends are just popped under there tree as they are given so that they know they are from others.

We don't do stockings as tried a couple of times but it just seemed to be land fill items as we don't do essentials or clothes for Christmas.

Minidoghugs Sat 07-Oct-17 10:38:58

I like the more old fashioned way of Santa bringing a few gifts to fill a stocking on the end of the bed and dc can open it when they wake up, the rest of the presents labelled under the tree. We did have a giant stocking as a lot of cheap stocking filler gifts are still a bit big for a normal stocking.
I don't agree with saying Santa gave all the presents as I think its better for dc to know who things are from, but if they are the type of kids to hunt the house and open gifts they find I think it might be a good idea to say Santa is the postman. My dd was quite good at waiting from about age 5 so we just put everything under the tree.

Ontopofthesunset Sat 07-Oct-17 10:45:31

We used to do stocking from Father Christmas at the end of the bed (smallish presents) and then main presents from everyone else under the tree. I'm actually amazed that with all the different traditions children don't work it out sooner.

It aways seemed strange to me, for instant, for everyone else in the family to give children gifts apart from their parents. Why do their
parents buy presents for nieces/nephews but not for their own children?

But whoever commented earlier on how the different Father Christmas traditions illustrate very well the power of myths like religion is spot on. Of course none of the stories make any sense, but we all believe ours is the most sensible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now