Talk

Advanced search

What kind of gift you always want as a child and never got/ didn't tell your parents that you really want?

(39 Posts)
LollaLaLuna Sat 07-Oct-17 01:38:39

Just for fun really.πŸ’ To me it was always really proper, solid, kind of vintage dollhouse...😳 And never got even ordinary one.πŸ€”πŸ˜‚

ew1990 Sat 07-Oct-17 01:43:12

Not me but dp always wanted a proper scaelextrix (sp?)

Currently pregnant with first baby and every time someone says what do you want/need for baby we ask for one of these! πŸ˜‚

Cagliostro Sat 07-Oct-17 01:48:56

Lego, wooden train set and marble run. My two have shitloads of all three grin

Cagliostro Sat 07-Oct-17 01:51:07

DD (10) is already living through her little sister (due next month). We have never been able to have a big toy kitchen etc here as our house is tiny. But we will be moving to a bigger place in the next year or so and she is already choosing big toys that she can teach her sister to play with grin

LollaLaLuna Sat 07-Oct-17 02:42:15

Ew1990- Yeap I understand what you mean. When we got our first Lego for our children dh was that one who seems to play with that really.πŸ€”πŸ˜‚Unless to say that he had it as a child.πŸ€“

LollaLaLuna Sat 07-Oct-17 02:45:05

I always tend to give dc stuff which I didn't had or couldn't have, but they have allready different priorities...πŸ™ƒ

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 07-Oct-17 02:45:55

Bit of a blast from the past (I am ancient)

In the 1970s there was a cake making oven thing (no idea how it worked) I coveted one. Never got it.

Ditto the Cadburys Miniature chocolate vending machine thing

And a tiny walk-along dog toy that yapped and wagged its tail

I did get WallWalkers though grin

Mxyzptlk Sat 07-Oct-17 02:46:44

A weaving loom.

Chrisinthemorning Sat 07-Oct-17 02:55:18

My little pony dream castle

llangennith Sat 07-Oct-17 02:55:31

A tutu when I was a 8grin

LollaLaLuna Sat 07-Oct-17 03:11:34

Chrisinthemorning- Oh yeah my little pony!πŸ¦„ I was let's say slightly obsessed with them at one moment!πŸ¦„πŸ˜»Till the time when somebody steamed them from me and nursery school.😿 But today's world it would be only retro My little pony...πŸ˜‚

LollaLaLuna Sat 07-Oct-17 03:12:59

Not steamed but stealed.πŸ‘»

LollaLaLuna Sat 07-Oct-17 03:27:00

Instead of doll house I get Seva construction set, btw very good for creative kids, which I could possibly build my own house, but anyway it wasn't it, if you know what I'm mean.πŸ˜³πŸ˜†

Wayfarersonbaby Sat 07-Oct-17 09:44:11

I remember wanting the usual 1980s things that were advertised on TV in those days - Mr Frosty, Major Morgan, Operation, Teddy Ruxpin, etc. My parents were more the John Lewis wooden toys and Lego type of parents - it would not have even occurred to them to buy us the kind of toys that were advertised on TV. We had very nice presents, but I still hankered after some of the electronic or commercial tat that we never got grin But this is a common 1980s childhood experience I think!

dudsville Sat 07-Oct-17 09:50:33

As a young girl I liked dolls, and got plenty, but I also liked remote control things and never got them because they were for boys.

AnneOfCleavage Sat 07-Oct-17 10:05:26

I always wanted the game "guess who" but because I had lots of siblings we always got given games for more than 2 players like monopoly or game of life etc which are long laborious games which my older siblings couldn't be bothered to play as too complicated the teach us little ones so barely got touched plus was rare that more than two would want to play them anyway. Bought my DD guess who and we play it together and I just love it. I actually bought my DD lots of things I enjoyed as a child as I love playing them still: lego, my little pony, barbies, dressing up etc.

I also wasn't allowed Sylvanians as too expensive so guess what my DD has loads of πŸ˜‚

Sallycinnamum Sat 07-Oct-17 10:13:34

When I was 7ish there was a kids fortune telling globe aka a crystal ball. I was convinced I'd got it from my gran. When I I unwrapped it excitedly it turned out to be a proper globe of the world. I was crushingly disappointed but looking bsck now there was no way my gran would've bought me something so woo as she was a god fearing baptist!

IggyAce Sat 07-Oct-17 10:41:14

My mum refused to buy me a cabbage patch doll, she thought they were ugly. I was going to get one for my daughter but she wasn't interested.

Isadora2007 Sat 07-Oct-17 13:32:54

I always wanted a Mr Frosty. I know it was crap though...

Annwithnoe Sat 07-Oct-17 18:36:53

Mouse trap. I considered buying it for myself the dc but I've heard that the modern version is rubbish.

Unicorn81 Sat 07-Oct-17 18:45:57

Mr Frosty machine here too.. still want one 😁

Eringray Sat 07-Oct-17 18:48:16

I've wished to have a doll house, doll car where they used to show on "Barbie girl" song! Lol!!

Makemineacabsauv Sat 07-Oct-17 19:31:13

Mr Frosty here too!!! Had amazing Christmases but Mr F never appeared!!
Yes, I was also badly disappointed by a glove one year too!! Remember excitedly shaking the present while Val Doonican was crooning away on tv on Xmas Eve and was convinced it was a girl’s world!! Gutted the next day!

LollaLaLuna Sat 07-Oct-17 20:49:26

Sallycinnamum- amazing!πŸ˜‚πŸ‘»

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Sat 07-Oct-17 20:51:59

An umbrella.

A proper dollshouse - dad made us one, but it was just four rooms in a row, without doors between them.

Enough drawing paper and pens, so I could draw as much as I wanted.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now Β»

Already registered? Log in with: