Talk

Advanced search

Share your best 'festive ham' tips!

(17 Posts)
WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Fri 06-Oct-17 22:23:27

There are often references to doing a Christmas/festive ham on this board, and I’m planning one myself this year so interested to hear top tips! Cooking it, what glaze to use etc.? What makes yours really tasty and Christmassy?

thismeansnothing Fri 06-Oct-17 22:42:26

Cook in the slow cooker with a bit of liquid. Water, or orange juice.

Score the fat into diamonds and pop a clove in the centre of each diamond. Pack brown sugar and honey over the fat and finish in the oven for 20-30 mins

Loungingbutnotforlong Fri 06-Oct-17 23:08:05

BBC good food- cola ham with maple and mustard glaze- absolutely delicious, and so easy!

NoNeedToArgue Fri 06-Oct-17 23:11:16

Ham in cider! You won't regret it, better than coke x a million. Nigella has a recipe. You can thank me later

just5morepeas Fri 06-Oct-17 23:19:13

I'm just boring, I like my ham to taste of just ham! xD

I cook it in water with onion, carrot, bay leaf, peppercorns and celery then roast it in oven if I want to glaze it.

I used a couple of tablespoons Dijon mustard and a couple of tablespoons redcurrant jelly mixed together last time I glazed it. That was nice and not overpowering.

elephantoverthehill Fri 06-Oct-17 23:21:49

Do a Delia, boiled then roasted in cider. I always get compliments and it never fails to please.

CotswoldStrife Fri 06-Oct-17 23:24:45

I do Nigella's Ham in Coca-Cola frequently and it's a Boxing Day tradition for us.

I'd line the tray with foil though if you want to glaze it with honey and roast it in the oven to finish off voice of experience here

Oncewaswho Fri 06-Oct-17 23:50:27

Exactly what Just5 says, no Coke or orange juice for us, just a touch of sweetness in the glaze.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sun 08-Oct-17 17:19:17

Thanks for all the suggestions. Definitely want to finish off with a glaze so all suggestions welcome!

just5morepeas Mon 09-Oct-17 09:26:36

If you glaze you definitely should line the tray with foil - really saves on clean up!

OuchBollocks Mon 09-Oct-17 09:30:32

I also boil in onion bay and peppercorn then score glaze and roast. Traditionally put cloves in it but DH doesn't like them. My mum always did demerera sugar and English mustard for the glaze. I find that adding a little maple syrup gives a nice smokiness plus makes it easier to spread onto the ham itself.

I used to feel like it was hassle but I did a 'Christmas' ham this weekend, boiled it on Saturday and put some in a pie, then glazed roasted and eaten (with cheese and biscuits for a change) on Sunday.

tootsieglitterballs Mon 09-Oct-17 09:42:55

Honey & mustard glaze with cloves studded into the fat... and always buy bigger than you think you will need as of course you have to try it when it’s ready ... before you know it, you’ve devoured half of it 😳

GetAHaircutCarl Mon 09-Oct-17 09:46:22

For me it's always cooked in coke. Not so much for the taste which is minimal, but Coke seems to break down the meat fibres spookily well so the ham is beyond tender.

I then finish off in the oven with a sweet coat. Anything will do - maple syrup, red current jelly, honey.

Oncewaswho Mon 09-Oct-17 10:04:56

That's interesting about the coke tenderising it. I don't like meat meltingly soft or shredded, I prefer it firmer so I definitely won't be trying the coke.

dizzygirl1 Mon 09-Oct-17 10:33:11

Honey and cloves here! Family tradition carried on, cooked Christmas eve afternoon so we eat it for dinner with snack bits of cheese and crackers etc. Then kept for boxing day and onwards 😀

tootsieglitterballs Mon 09-Oct-17 12:25:34

@dizzygirl1 exactly what we do! Love it! So much so... we are having a ham tomorrow!

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Mon 09-Oct-17 12:59:24

Thanks everyone. Definitely going to cook on the Saturday, then finish of roasting with glaze on Christmas Eve. That’s going to make life much easier on Christmas Eve!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now