Talk

Advanced search

Boys 8 and 10

(17 Posts)
themumfairy Fri 06-Oct-17 02:51:16

Struggling for both of them this year. They don't play with toys at all. Ds8 is football mad but has everything I can think of. Ds10 plays football but is a gamer at heart. They're at the inbetween stage of not wanting toys but not wanting just clothes.

Lozmatoz Fri 06-Oct-17 04:19:34

Ask them what they’d like.

MegBusset Fri 06-Oct-17 07:00:04

Books
Gift cards for activities - cinema, bowling, Pizza Express
Stuff for their rooms - rugs, cushions, lava lamp, light box
Magazine subscription
Lego - surely everyone loves Lego?!

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 06-Oct-17 07:08:22

I have a 7 and 10 year old DS who don't play with toys. The 7 year old is getting a new smartphone he only uses it for games etc so no SIM card. It will be second hand from. CEX I'm only spending £100 max on it. He will also get some clothes and a new rugby ball. The 10 year old is getting a Raspberry Pi, clothes and some new footie boots.

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 06-Oct-17 07:09:28

meg my kids never play with Lego so unfortunately not every kid likes it although every adult seems to think they do.

Chocolatecake12 Fri 06-Oct-17 07:53:32

Nerf guns!

lorisparkle Fri 06-Oct-17 08:19:38

My ds prefer k’nex to Lego. Ds2 likes tech stuff like remote control things, watches, spy stuff, etc. They like the Phoenix comic and enjoy the first news newspaper. They also like outdoor stuff - scooters, skateboard, in-line skates. I guess they already have a goal, gloves, cones, etc . They prefer non-fiction books. They love football cards and magazines.

Sloegin2 Fri 06-Oct-17 10:34:02

My boys are 10 and 8 - I plan on buying them a Nintendo Switch between them with games etc. Then a scooter for DS8 and some stuff from smiggle, lego for DS10.

TheOnlyPink Fri 06-Oct-17 10:59:44

My boys are 6 and 10. Could buy loads for the 6 year old, he has loads of interests and hobbies, but I'm really struggling for my ten year old. They are getting an Xbox one to share, but the only other idea I've had for ds 10 is a box of japanese/American sweets and snacks, new diary of a wimpy kid book and new David walliams.

Watching thread with interest!

TheOnlyPink Fri 06-Oct-17 11:01:14

ineeda my ds1 doesn't like leg o either. He did a bit when he was little, but not any more! Would be easier if he did...

midsummabreak Fri 06-Oct-17 11:09:20

For Ds8;Tickets to favourite team's football game with one parent for some special one to one time & football team jumper or top/? For Ds10 minecraft game or wiiu Mario maker or MarioKart or super smash bros brawl ?

vikjul Fri 06-Oct-17 12:15:23

My ds11's world similarly revolves around football. Other than gifts linked to football (including the Fifa ps4game, this year to be upgraded to Fifa 18), however, very popular gifts over the last years have included:

Board games (especially King of Tokyo and Forbidden Island, both fine from 8 and up)

Nerf guns, as suggested above.

Penny board.

Simon game (funnily, he and his friends really like this classic)

Books (LOVES John Flanagan's The Ranger's Apprentice series for example)

Watch

Ed Emberley's drawing books (along with nice coloured pencils/Sharpies)

vikjul Fri 06-Oct-17 12:18:34

Oh, and he was also thrilled to receive Magic Sand last year :-), surprise hit!

A "magic snake" (Rubik's type thing) also very popular.

vikjul Fri 06-Oct-17 12:19:28

Just also remembered that the sound machine that he received at around 8 is still very much in use!

swizzlestix Fri 06-Oct-17 19:03:29

How about walkie talkies?

KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Sat 07-Oct-17 18:04:26

I'm having similar issues with DS who will be 9.

So far:

3DS Pokemon games
Books
Board Games - Castle Panic
We are drowning in Lego, but might get him a set though he's not hugely fussed

His birthday is the week before. He seems to have lost all interest in toys. I'm finding it odd that there's nothing 'big' that he wants.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:49:04

I haven't finalised for DS(7) but on the list:

Cheap drone (indoor one)
The Nerf gun than fires cars
Exploding Kittens
The zombie maths board games
Ripley's annual type books
Cabin luggage sized suitcase for sleepovers and holidays

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now