Talk

Advanced search

3 Christmas days - what to tell dc about santa?

(37 Posts)
ninnynono Thu 05-Oct-17 19:47:55

Sorry if this has been done to death.

We live abroad and will most likely spend Christmas alone and do two seperate Christmasses in December; one with my family and one with inlaws.

What do I tell dd who is 3 about santa? When I was young we wouldn't see family on xmas day but presents would be sent. But my inlaws like (understandably) to see dd open her presents. But won't it be a bit strange pretending that santa has come 3 weeks early to grandma's and 2 weeks early to grandpa's? Think she'll believe no problem this year but don't want this set up to spoil it for her in the future.

Thanks

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Thu 05-Oct-17 19:50:31

Surely if you want to open presents early then just do those from the respective grandparents. Then on Christmas Day they get all other presents a a stocking of smaller stuff from santa if you want to do santa?

ninnynono Thu 05-Oct-17 20:00:18

Thanks for your reply. Problem being that the grandparents like doing santa. Last year we saw pil on Boxing Day and we did the whole leaving out the carrot etc but on the 26yh. We'd also done it on the 24th. It was fine as dd was 2 so she didn't really get it.

TittyGolightly Thu 05-Oct-17 20:03:45

We don't do santa. Much easier. DD 7 isn't harmed.

ninnynono Thu 05-Oct-17 20:10:53

Sure she isn't. But we like doing santa!

TittyGolightly Thu 05-Oct-17 20:15:04

Then santa comes to you, grandparents will have to do without.

Minidoghugs Thu 05-Oct-17 20:15:16

Little kids are used to seeing Santa's at various places like shopping malls and schools not on Xmas day. So this should be fine. Just tell her Santa comes to all the houses.
I do think it's a mistake to say all presents are from Santa. Not sure if thats what you mean but imo the kids should know who most of the presents are from and a separate present or stocking is from Santa.

IggyAce Thu 05-Oct-17 20:24:33

In our house Santa only brings one present, my children understand that mums and dad's help Santa by buying some presents as there is lots of children in the world. They get given gifts before Xmas from various friends and relatives which are put under our tree and opened Xmas day.

ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 05-Oct-17 20:42:14

Mine assume there is the real santa and then all the "fakies" that are in stores and garden centres. Maybe one of the fakies will be on duty at the pils. My dcs worked this fake santa thing out for themselves with no help from me! Think this year will be our last with the real santa involved, sadly. I imagine they will not believe in real or fake next year.

Unihorn Thu 05-Oct-17 20:47:21

We told DSD that my husband had a special agreement with Father Christmas for him to come early just this once but that she wasn't allowed to tell the other boys and girls because it was a one off. We had her Christmas Eve morning and then she was with her mum for Christmas Day. Children tend to be quite willing to believe in the magic I think.

isthistoonosy Thu 05-Oct-17 20:47:30

We have a present swap a few weeks before xmas with my family - no fc involved. They get a party and one present.

24th with OHs family fc comes but only delivers presents from that extended family and our presents to them.

25th morning presents from us and fc are there in the morning
After lunch fc delivers presents from my family and a few small bits any teens (no other small kids in the family) that are over for xmas dinner.

Gooseygoosey12345 Thu 05-Oct-17 20:47:46

Santa does early visits to grandparents houses as he couldn’t manage to do all of those in one night as well you see...

isthistoonosy Thu 05-Oct-17 20:49:57

Oh I explain diff timing of visits simply he has lots of places to go so does some the 24 some 25

LittleMyLikesSnuffkin Thu 05-Oct-17 21:10:17

My ex MIL wanted to do stockings and Santa but we had that covered and DD started to get confused and upset because in all her stories Santa only comes by on Christmas Eve and children don't get multiple stockings and things.

I politely pointed out inlaws had had their turn to do stockings and Santa for their children and it was now mine and ex's turn. I suggest you do the same with your DCs grandparents. Hopefully they can think of something else to do.

DermotOLogical Thu 05-Oct-17 21:12:37

Santa only brings santa presents on Xmas day. The rest of the presents are from actual people whenever you see them.

Nip this santa bollocks in the bud while she's young otherwise it will grown into a mess.

ninnynono Thu 05-Oct-17 21:38:18

Thanks for replies. Feel it is a bit much to have three separate santa visits! May just keep this for xmas day then.

Bornfreebutinbiscuits Thu 05-Oct-17 22:23:21

As much as grandma wants to do santa I think the child has to be put first... Keep santa for Christmas day. Grandparents are big enough I think to deal with that!

HouseworkIsAPain Thu 05-Oct-17 22:26:57

I’d just keep Santa for your house (on Christmas Day) and the grandparents can give her presents directly from them before/after Christmas Day.

HavingAnOffDAy Thu 05-Oct-17 22:42:35

We do Father Christmas on Christmas Eve for Christmas Day. Any presents at GP’s have been left by him at theirs as he couldn’t find room at our house wink

TheSpottedZebra Thu 05-Oct-17 23:47:06

Just decide what you want/what's going to happen, then wrote a letter to Santa together to tell him where you'll be and when.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 05-Oct-17 23:47:30

Honestly, I did type write !

MrEBear Fri 06-Oct-17 09:20:11

I think you have to say No to having stockings at the ILs. Thats going to become too confusing and a give away when they start tracking Santa with Norad. Unless the stockings are hung up in advance of the 24th. Santa only visits once.

Gifts from my family are delivered by Santa (like the postman) OHs family prefer to hand things over directly. But store them under their tree.

You and DH have to decide how you want to do it and what precedence you want to set for future years.

BiddyPop Fri 06-Oct-17 11:14:56

Santa only comes once.

Presents from Granny and Grandad are from them, I presume? Not from Santa? If not, you will have to put your foot down and say that they are from the giver.

It should be fine to open things early, saying they are for Christmas because you won't see them on the day. (Although we always either opened them on the day from under the tree, or got them after Christmas when we saw the relatives again - anything from relatives before Christmas was kept until 25th, although we may have had a seasonal meal with them in advance).

But stockings, and any other presents from Santa, should only be in your house on Christmas Day. (As that is where you have said you will be on Christmas Day - if you were in a Granny's house, that is where Santa would happen).

WaxOnFeckOff Fri 06-Oct-17 12:51:25

Agree that grandparents had their turn to be Santa when their Dc were little. It's fine that they get to open their gifts from their grandparents before christmas but the gifts have to be from them. It's not too much of an issue after Christmas. My DM used to keep a small thing in the house for when her DGC visited after christmas and just said that Santa forgot to leave something at their house but dropped it off at hers since he knew they'd be visiting and he didn't have time to turn back to their house. The gifts from her to them were labelled as such and usually sent to their house in advance of Christmas.

Lovemusic33 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:58:53

Santa doesn't bring presents from family members? We do santa at home on Christmas Day (presents from santa, not other people) and then visit family on Boxing Day to receive gifts from family.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: