Talk

Advanced search

Dishwasher vodka

(20 Posts)
gingerbreadmam Wed 04-Oct-17 20:06:52

Hi

I remember reading a few threads on here a couple of years ago about dishwasher vodka.

Does anyone remember how to make it?I don't have a dishwasher and i'm sure there was a work around?

Got a couple of SIL's that would love it so going to prepare some for pressies.

Any ideas ona flavour for a diabetic?

MrsMotherHen Wed 04-Oct-17 20:11:16

I made vodka one year with out the dishwasher method it went down very very well.
I made Glacier mint flavour it was amazing!
blackjack flavour and rhubarb and custard flavours. They were so tasty.

I just left sweets in some vodka giving them a good shake few times a day only took 2 or 3 days to complete.

gingerbreadmam Wed 04-Oct-17 20:15:13

Fantastic motherhen just the advice i was after.

Rhubarb and custard sounds bloody lovely. Just made me think about pear drops too. Thank you so much.

OodleDoodleBug Thu 05-Oct-17 19:42:25

Worthers Originals are supposed to be good too.

I read about standing the bottle in warm water but just shaking sounds easier!

gingerbreadmam Thu 05-Oct-17 21:33:20

might do both just for good measure.

i remember werthers being mentioned on the original thread i read.

seem to remember werthers, skittles and jelly babies.

Annwithnoe Fri 06-Oct-17 23:00:28

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/a1606689-What-is-dishwasher-vodka-and-is-it-a-good-gift

HughLauriesStubble Fri 06-Oct-17 23:11:02

I made nigella lawsons turkish delight vodka for a friend one year and it turned out amazing. No dishwasher needed either grin

SymphonyofShadows Fri 06-Oct-17 23:29:43

I made cough candy vodka. Great in the freezer for when you are full of cold and miserable in January. I also did cola bottle rum but got the quantities wrong so I ended up with a set jelly which we got hammered on, with ice cream

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 23-Oct-17 19:45:21

I'm planning to do Skittles Vodka and a Toffee Vodka.

(I don't drink so I'm kind of doing this in the dark)

Plan to buy a bottle of supermarket or Labelled if its on special offer.

Red Skittles
Werthers Originals (I did about chewy toffees but they might not dissolve) or is there anything better?
Mine will go in the dishwasher.
Do I do half bottle vodka then fill up with sweets - leave room to expansion?

Will one cycle do the trick.?
Will mine needs filtered?
How long will it keep ? Does it need to be in the fridge?

Do I store it in the original bottles and decant /strain when its needed?

TIA fgrin

MagentaRocks Mon 23-Oct-17 19:48:06

I'm planning to do Christmas pudding vodka - just not in the dishwasher. Never heard of dishwasher vodka so off for a look.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 23-Oct-17 19:59:10

I think the DW Vodka is the heat melting the sweets.
What are you using for Christmas Pudding Vodka? Is it more an infusion rather than a melting?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 23-Oct-17 20:01:33

My DSis makes Sloe Gin but I think it takes a while to infuse , the right week to pick the sloes when they've had a frost but before the birds pilfer them and a tonne of sugar.

MagentaRocks Mon 23-Oct-17 20:51:24

70 yes it is an infusion. Lots of dried fruit, rind, cinnamon sticks etc in a bowl. Walk in shit loads of vodka and stir it every day before straining it. Looking forward to doing it but I am making a mini bottle for all my team - I manage 27 people plus my husbands team- luckily he only manages 9 people so to do them all a 100ml bottle will mean I need almost 6 litres of vodka!

Glumglowworm Mon 23-Oct-17 21:24:53

We did haribo vodka in a houseshare I was in about 10 years ago. We didn't have a dishwasher so it lived on a radiator I think

I remember it being a bit lumpy but tasted good (and I hate the taste of alcohol)

goose1964 Tue 24-Oct-17 13:25:22

I'm currently making chocolate mint vodka, it was supposed to be after eight but poundland had sold out. I used Fry's peppermint instead . Just don't use too much chocolate. It tastes lush.

Spam88 Tue 24-Oct-17 15:18:26

A dishwasher seems like an unnecessary gimmick really. Takes a few days for skittles/werthers etc to fully dissolve if just left in vodka.

Emptying out half a bottle is too much, although you can always pour some back in once you’ve put all your sweets in.

Also, werthers vodka and cream soda makes a good butterbeer cocktail 👍

Buggerlugs123 Tue 24-Oct-17 15:21:52

I made toffee vodka using sugar free worther’s originals-took about a week for them to dissolve shaking it a few times a day-‘‘twas very nice

Eminybob Tue 24-Oct-17 15:48:21

What kind of ratios do you need to use?

Buggerlugs123 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:55:08

I bought a small bottle of vodka - is there a 25ml bottle ?and popped 10 toffees in- was a good ratio.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 24-Oct-17 21:46:38

I've had a look online - recommended
200g: 750ml/ 1 litre. for hard sweets
300g for chocolate

It says it keeps a month so I'll hold off making it just now.

I think I'll do a 1 litre split between two bottles then sieve as needed and put in Kielner bottles.
Eyeballs the Skittles that are for Hallowe'en.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now