Talk

Advanced search

Best bike (and quality) for DS aged 3

(25 Posts)
Newdad19 Wed 04-Oct-17 17:35:10

We sre looking to get DS (3) his first bike for Christmas this year. He is very tall for his age (looks about a 4.5year old). We have looked at balance bikes etc and want to go straight to a bike with stabilisers.

I have had a look and can see a lot of the character ones (paw patrol etc) which I am sure he would love, but I want to avoid paying for the character and it being a crap bike. Looking for something decent that he could get a few years out of (and hopefully his younger brother could inherit!).

Appreciate any suggestions or pointers!

Thanks

FlaviaAlbia Wed 04-Oct-17 17:39:45

Isla bikes or frog bikes are the go to ones for quality. They're both pricey but excellent.

DS is nearly 4 and has an Isla bike, it's brilliant. He's can fly along on it and it's not the same weight as a tank unlike most character ones.

Newdad19 Wed 04-Oct-17 17:45:16

Thanks! Definitely pricier than the character ones but I guess you get what you pay for!

WeAllHaveWings Wed 04-Oct-17 18:02:32

Ds had a ridgeback with stabilisers at that age. After the ridgeback we went to a cheap character bike and it was awful.

Good bikes are pricey but have very good resale value if in good condition. Or look for a good second hand?

dramallamakarma Wed 04-Oct-17 18:14:47

Raleigh come in at a price in between, I'd recommend going to your local independent stockist.

Got one for DDs 4th birthday & can't fault it but not so crazy expensive that I'm worrying about scratches etc.

CowOnTheMoon Wed 04-Oct-17 18:18:47

My ds got a balance bike when he was aged three but when he’s ready to transition to a “big bike” the seat can be flipped and the peddles added on with the chain (these come with it)
It was from Little Big Bikes
He loves it

dunraven Wed 04-Oct-17 19:49:38

Islabike bike fan here - we have 3 different sized ones, each passed down via 3 kids within the family. Good second hand values and you can part exchange your old bike for a new bike too.

43percentburnt Wed 04-Oct-17 20:00:02

Ds has a frog and it’s fab and very light, we got the smallest 2 wheeler model as he was about 90 cm aged 3.7. I don’t know if you can get stabilisers for it, ds was riding within 20 mins but had ridden a balance bike for over a year.

I’d get a frog and remove the pedals - use as a balance bike until he is stable and put the pedals back on!

43percentburnt Wed 04-Oct-17 20:03:10

The balance bike was a strider, amazingly light! When he was fed up of riding dh would carry the bike and ds home from the park! It even hooked over the pram easily.

FlaviaAlbia Wed 04-Oct-17 20:13:34

DS went from a cruzee balance bike properly cycling pedal bike in literally a couple of minutes so I'd agree with removing the pedals instead of getting stabilisers. It was amazing to see.

MigGril Wed 04-Oct-17 20:23:43

Frog bikes are great. But please do get a balance bike they are so worth it. Considered one for DD but didn't get one got a bike with stabilizer instead. Took an age to get her off them, they toltaly don't teacher them how a bike balances properly. DS on the other hand got a balance bike at 3 years and was ridding indpendly by 4 years. So where many of his friends who had balance bikes. They make such a difference.

lorisparkle Wed 04-Oct-17 20:25:10

We always had ridgebacks. Good quality sturdy bikes and have been past down to 2 younger ds. However ds3 has got into racing and he now has a frog bike. The islabikes are very expensive but amazing second hand prices when you want to sell on. THe frogs are a little cheaper and We have heard they are just as good. Really light as well. Ds3 used a balance bike and bike with stabilisers when learning to ride and it worked really well.

Newdad19 Wed 04-Oct-17 21:50:26

Back to the drawing boars on the balance bike then i think! Haha thanks all

Ojoj1974 Wed 04-Oct-17 21:52:20

Puky run bikes
Frog bikes(as good as Isla and cheaper)

Logoplanter Wed 04-Oct-17 21:53:10

Agree with Isla or Frog.

We got DS the cnoc 16 for his 4th birthday second hand off eBay and he's used it and it's been handed on to DD. I imagine we'll probably be able to sell it for not much less than we paid for it when she's finished.

They are so light weight. DD who is 4 is quite a good cyclist (has risen 6 miles on it without complaint) but she rode her cousin's cheap bike and looked like she could barely ride as it was so heavy.

We bought DS a brand new Frog for his 6th birthday and it's lovely. Possibly not quite as good as the Isla but it was quite a lot cheaper.

I'd really make sure you spend a bit more or buy second hand and get a good make. I'm pretty sure if either of my kids had had a cheap bike it really would have put them off riding. I think lots of people buy bikes which don't get used by kids because they're so heavy so the money is just wasted. That'd be such a shame as cycling is such a lovely thing to do as a family.

BewareOfDragons Wed 04-Oct-17 21:54:31

Can't argue with the Islabike or Frog suggestions. We did Islabikes; they're brilliant.

StinkPickle Wed 04-Oct-17 21:59:49

Isla bikes. Love them

gingercat02 Wed 04-Oct-17 22:12:27

We had one of these for ds which he loved. Then went to bog standard high street stuff. Now he is a tall 9 he us too tall for boys bikes but not enough reach for a small man's bike. We brought a Frog bike. Best Thing Ever!

SheepyFun Wed 04-Oct-17 22:23:39

Another Islabikes fan here - DD had had a balance bike, but it was heavy and wooden (passed on to us) and she'd never got the hang of it. By the time we got our act together, she was too tall for most balance bikes; we'd have had to get a Frog Tadpole plus, which isn't cheap.

Instead we got an Islabike and took the pedals off so that she could use it as a balance bike for a bit. Had we been really keen, we'd have taken the cranks and maybe even the chain off too. We went secondhand, which saved over £100. DD has just started school, and is now able to ride unassisted (provided she doesn't have to start uphill!). For a child who took months to get how to ride a scooter, it was a worthwhile investment for us.

Theoistfit Wed 04-Oct-17 23:11:15

I'd second Isla Bike with the pedals off. Theure brilliant bikes. Be careful with the size though because he'll be off he smallest one very quickly if he's tall.

trixymalixy Thu 05-Oct-17 09:53:30

My kids have frog bikes, they're fab.

I think you're making a mistake getting stabilisers, balance bikes are so much easier for kids to learn with.

EmGee Thu 05-Oct-17 20:18:58

We had a Puky balance bike first (great bike, good resale), then an Islabike Cnoc 14 (beautiful, beautiful bike), then a secondhand Ridgeway (heavy compared to Islabike but sturdy). Just sold the Islabike for 150€ (I live abroad) - bought it new in 2013 for about 225£.

Yeeyeelovesraaraa Sat 07-Oct-17 22:05:57

another vote for isla bike for first proper bike. so much lighter & easier to ride than the character bikes. as already said - you can buy second hand & resell for practically the same when you're done. DS(7) has now moved onto a frog bike which is also great, DD(3) is on a cruzee balance bike & will be using the isla bike as soon as she's tall enough!

Nearlyadoctor Sun 08-Oct-17 05:59:19

Frog bikes are fantastic and sell we'll secondhand.

Tedsterteddington Sun 08-Oct-17 07:05:34

Little big bike! Lasts from 3-7 years, starts as a balance bike then you can add pedals. Expensive but really well made, I'm so impressed with it, my son loves his!😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now