Talk

Advanced search

Thread 8 I'm a bit disappointed his horn isn't bigger

(1000 Posts)
Reastie Wed 04-Oct-17 15:13:35

See post two for some handy links

Reastie Wed 04-Oct-17 15:14:01

So, info below is hopefully helpful and links below are for some of the frequented websites from the page. If you know of a website that would be good to add please let me know thanks .

Since it's so popular now there would just be too many links in the link post, and I'd go slightly unhinged attempting to get them all in, so I'm fine tuning and doing generic site links rather than specific product links (unless there's something so brilliant that consensus is to add it here). If there's a stupendous code that could do with adding on here let me know bold and big is really helpful for me thanks . Hope you find it useful.

Predicted by fireflygirl the 25%off Sainsbury's dates:
(They were right on all but one last year
24 October 2017
27 November 2017

From tattyboggle89:
18th October 2017
Looks like this will be the date for Sainsbury's big toy sale this year so save the date! Will update if I hear any different.
It's usually really good instore

Sockeatingmonster’s top tips about aliexpress:

I have used Aliexpress quite a bit over the last few years. My tips/observations are:

1. Check reviews
2. Be wary of plastic toys. There have been concerns about toxic plastics from China, and I have binned plastic figures for having very unpleasant smells. I no longer buy any 'low-end' plastic items and only ever from sellers with lots of positive reviews
3. Aliexpress refund/complaints procedure is actually way more straightforward than eBay, and stacked in the buyer's favour
4. Beware of mains operated electricals, many of which are supplied without fused plugs. Always message the seller first if in doubt, don't rely on the photos
5. I don't trust dress up clothes to be flame retardant, although I don't believe this is UK law anyway?
6. Clothes can come up very small. Quality can be variable (excellent to awful). Photos are often of similar items, so take them with a pinch of salt and check the reviews.
7. Actually, all photos on Aliexpress should be taken with a pinch of salt. Again, check reviews (where buyers often post photos of the actual item received)
8. I wouldn't trust toys to meet UK safety standards and wouldn't buy anything that could pose a risk (e.g. Paint might not be safe for children to gum, there could be sharp edges/choking hazards, etc)
9. Lego alternatives don't tend to stick together as well as genuine Lego. Minifigures are still excellent value, but the odd one might benefit from a few drops of superglue.
10. Barbie and other doll clothes can be excellent value, but check reviews for fabric quality and finish
11. Stationery is generally excellent value, although paper quality can be lower than expected. Type 'kawaii' into stationery and be prepared to spend a fortune!

Bargain crazy website here an outlet for very and littlewoods

Joules eBay outlet here

Lisa Angel here

Studio have some well priced items but quality on everything isn't amazing here

Super saver delivery tool is a fab website where it will find low value items on amazon to take your shopping basket to £20 to qualify for free super saver delivery when you're getting close here

Toys for a pound toysforapound.com

Wonderbly (formally lost my name) here

GoGoGazelle Wed 04-Oct-17 15:18:51

mountain warehouse have some good bits in clearance - kids' headtorches down to £3 from £10, and code SCHOOL gives an additional 15% off.

thanks for the new thread reastie

Ohwell14 Wed 04-Oct-17 15:33:07

Placemarking grin
I've started wrapping already and can't wait until I have everything bought. Only have 4 presents up to now

cookiefiend Wed 04-Oct-17 15:40:32

Wrapping?! I am so far behind. Ordered a huge pile of books for DB last night and felt smug for two minutes until I remembered it is his birthday next week and I will need to sort Christmas for him later!

Just a quick reminded (posted near the end of the last thread) there is 20% off at m and s and house of Fraser through topcashback today (and a few other places). Worth a look if you were struggling to get abs M and S discount code.

NoWordForFluffy Wed 04-Oct-17 15:43:49

Thanks for the new thread!

I’ve got loads wrapped. Decided the rest will be from us, not Santa, though, so will use different paper.

I need to wrap my parents’ and other family bits before I head down to my home town at the end of the month as I won’t be down again before Christmas.

chocolatepudandchocolatesauce Wed 04-Oct-17 15:48:16

Can i just ask all of you who have already wrapped presents. How do you keep the presents looking nice and not all scruffy, scrunched, ripped? Also, how do you remember what is in each one? Not necessarily who it is for as I guess a label will do for that, but what you have bought?

Reastie Wed 04-Oct-17 15:52:53

Thank you mrschrimbo74

TimeForMy10thCuppa Wed 04-Oct-17 16:01:10

Thank you for the new thread, reastie.

3 year old dd is inlove with her buildabear, i managed to pick up some bits in he sale a couple weeks ago. She would probably love more though. Anyone know if i can buy a a cheaper alternative?

Also, can anyone recomend any nice playmobile sets for her? She is getting a princess castle and the fire engine for chrismas , but i need one for her for later this month. Needs to be around the £25 mark.
Please and thank you.

TellMeItsNotTrue Wed 04-Oct-17 16:02:16

Reminder on this thread that I'm on the lookout for a big lol doll surprise thing can you tell I wasn't really listening wink

Thankyou to the poster who suggested why father Christmas may not be able to deliver one, I will keep that in mind and set the seed in to the DC minds now I think, just in case!

TellMeItsNotTrue Wed 04-Oct-17 16:04:04

Reastie thanks for the new thread

TimeFor eBay is good for bundles, we've had loads over the years and I've only ever had to wash one item (which was OK just a bit grubby). If you can find a local collection you will get even better auction price as not many people bidding

Annwithnoe Wed 04-Oct-17 16:04:42

Chocpudding , I use different wrap for santa and for each child and then hide all in a box in the attic.
For other gifts, they get wrapped in my standard wrapping and a name label tied on a ribbon with a second slip of paper with a note of what it is to be torn off later.
All neatly stacked in attic to be ignored for next few months so no scuffing.
I also have a list on my phone. it sounds a lot more organised than I am

scrappydappydoo Wed 04-Oct-17 16:08:25

time playmobil sets - my two dds love the playground and the swimming pool.

chocolatepudandchocolatesauce Wed 04-Oct-17 16:12:22

Thanks annwithnoe, think I may need to utilise the loft. Currently its all shoved in boxes is a large cupboard in my bedroom but i'm always anxious the dc will "accidentally" go in there, even though i shout very loudly, very often "do not look it the cupboard, do not look in there!!!!"

LikeSilver Wed 04-Oct-17 16:14:40

Thank you flowers

CoolCarrie Wed 04-Oct-17 16:15:30

Thank you for the new thread.

WhyamIBoredathome Wed 04-Oct-17 16:19:05

Anyone got a discount code for Toyella? My basket has all gone up in price angry
I found some online but they don't work.

MrsGotobed Wed 04-Oct-17 16:21:21

Has anyone seen any good deals on light boxes please as older teen DD wants one ?

The Works 25% off code doesn't include them and I missed out on the Amazon ones (also I don't have Prime which makes a difference sometimes).

I presume there are varying qualities as I've seen them for less than £10 up to £20+ so are there any I should avoid.

Annwithnoe Wed 04-Oct-17 16:22:46

chocpud the beauty of wrapping it is that if they do discover the stash there's a good chance that you'll only have to change wrapping paper, and they won't actually see the toys.

Theonlyoneiknow Wed 04-Oct-17 16:30:47

Thanks for the new thread! smile smile smile

Minster2012 Wed 04-Oct-17 16:34:04

Placemarking new thread, thanks, I like to save my wrapping for cold afternoon in front of fire with mulled wine

sing I did check the recycling boxes but sadly no sign they're full of dominos pizza boxes anyway

I'm so mad at the bloody postman and the thief!!

flowers reastie

dizzygirl1 Wed 04-Oct-17 16:36:07

Thank you for the 25% off in The Works. Just placed an order to begin the art hamper. 😀🍷

yorkshireyummymummy Wed 04-Oct-17 16:36:36

Chocolatepud the way to keep organised is to buy yourself a Christmas organiser. I just used a notebook for eight years- I have now upgrade myself to a ring binder organiser from the divine Amazon.
I simply couldn't do without it.
It has a section for cards ( names, addresses, written, sent , received, several years worth)
Section for meal planning and plastic wallets to put recipes in.
Section for presents. I have a system where I write down ideas, then purchases then I highlight it when it's wrapped.
I also keep details of presents in stockings plus a big big section for ideas for stocking presents and I add to/ use thus every year.
This system also means I can keep an eye on what I have spent too.
It keeps me on track and I would be a mess without it. Great investment for about £14.

chocolatepudandchocolatesauce Wed 04-Oct-17 16:43:38

yorkshire did you buy a specific folder? Think I read something about nice notebooks on earlier threads? My DH would love a folder. He has a folder for everything thank goodness for paperless billing these days

This thread is not accepting new messages.