Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for overseas parents gifts (USA)

(7 Posts)
Alabasterangel6 Wed 04-Oct-17 12:11:55

I'm so stuck. I've done everything and exhausted ideas totally. My Dad and step mum are in the US and I've no idea what to do this year. I usually send something to open about the size of a shoebox which costs around £25 to courier, but there must be a better way of doing it. In the past I've done things like local photographic calendars, biscuits, soaps, photos of the kids, socks, etc etc.

Please inspire me. They love food and drink but hate tea! They live in a warm part of the US. Certain things can't be posted there (booze, etc)

Under £60 preferably and taking postage into account.

Thank you.

Unicorn81 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:58:46

What about buying from cracker barrel online and shipping to them? They have gorgeous stuff and will save you money. They accepted my uk credit card when i used a us courier firm.

shop.crackerbarrel.com

Leeds2 Wed 04-Oct-17 21:24:26

If they are English, how about a shoe box of things they can't get in the US? My DD loves Jaffa cakes, her contemporaries beg her to bring back Colman's mustard. Maybe English retro sweets.

Alabasterangel6 Wed 04-Oct-17 22:59:16

Thank you both. I will investigate both possibilities! I have done the UK stuff though - curly wurlies, marmite, etc. They tell me now you can get most things in the UK section of their massive Walmart sadly!

Ladydepp Wed 04-Oct-17 23:18:45

Same problem here, I send photo calendars every year but also lighter stuff like jewellery, slippers, sweaters, scarves, wrist warmers etc.. also things like placemats and napkins. My parents quite liked the vacuvin corks and corksicle a few years ago.

I might send gift vouchers for local book shop too, as books are too heavy to post and my mom loves having any excuse to buy books.

Or order them some chocolates or Christmas flowers?

mathanxiety Thu 05-Oct-17 06:02:31

Maybe an annual membership to some local place of interest?

Membership for two to a local very prestigious art museum where I am costs $99 and allows unlimited visits, discounts at the gift shop and cafes, free entry to special exhibitions, talks, workshops.

KC225 Thu 05-Oct-17 23:44:04

What about Fortnum & Mason. It's about as luxury and as British as you can get. They ship directly to the USA for £30.00. It does cost the same but it saves you hiking yourself over to the post office. Last year I sent a beautiful hamper of jams, biscuits, champagne chocolate in the lovely wickpet basket for 100 quid including delivery. They loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now