Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Echo dot

(4 Posts)
3boysNeedABiggerKitchen Mon 02-Oct-17 12:34:54

I have seen a few people say they may buy an Amazon echo dot for their kids this Xmas. I’m thinking it may be good for my 2 tech obsessed boys (8 & 10).
Can anyone advise how it works for a child, can it be locked so they cannot purchase?
I have amazon prime, would I need anything else? Music subscription perhaps?

Oh2beatsea Fri 06-Oct-17 22:34:35

I’ve bought an Amazon Echo for my 9 year old dd. Look on QVC website, it has details / demo of Echo and Dot. I think they look great for kids.

4yoniD Fri 06-Oct-17 23:00:40

Purchasing can be switched off in the app.

With Amazon Prime you can listen to a good selection of music. Including OneDirection (groan).

I'm personally not completely convinced about giving it to kids. If they are quite techy have you considered a Raspberry Pie? Although they may be a little young for it. Depends how techy is techy! Or a tablet like a iPad / Kindle Fire if they don't have one. New Kindle Fire's comes with Alexa (who is the person/software on the Echo)

Shemozzle Sun 08-Oct-17 11:10:49

My 10 year old is obsessed with our dot.l that is in the kitchen. Constantly asking it to play various songs, pop, rock, theme tunes, everything. She also asks it questions to help her homework and asks her to tell jokes etc. So she's getting one for Christmas as she's begged for one. I've had it 4 months now and the novelty hasn't worn off. I pay a discounted price for Amazon music, I think something like £2 a month. You don't need prime. You can turn off purchasing.

Also think I'll get one for my 4 year old as she has a sleep meditation every night and I was going to buy more cds but would make sense to buy a dot and listen off there, there are also stories she could have read out and I can listen to music on it when I'm upstairs putting laundry away. Our dot isn't very good at picking up her requests though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now