Talk

Advanced search

Wrapping paper theme- let's pretend we don't just grab some from the supermarket

(39 Posts)
NaturalBlondeYeahRight Fri 22-Sep-17 20:54:59

If I had the time (and a dedicated room) I'd have a different theme every year!
I tend to go Victorian/tartan but have seen this 80's wrapping on eBay. If I used it, would anyone know what I was doing or would it just look like I'd grabbed stuff from a small post office. These prints remind me so much of my eighties childhood.

Show me your ideal 'theme'

SpiritedLondon Fri 22-Sep-17 21:20:30

Before children I used to have themes....my favourite was Chinese newspapers with red velvet ribbons. 😂 Now I'm happy if it's wrapped up in anything half decent. Generally though with some time I love anything in a Matt white paper with black ribbons or geometric designed sleeves and designed using brown parcel paper. Love it.

OhHolyFuck Fri 22-Sep-17 21:35:17

Were having Pokemon - blue Pokemon Christmas paper for DS1 and red Pokemon Christmas paper for ds2....

NapQueen Fri 22-Sep-17 21:36:31

I usually buy one of the themes Wilko sells as its cheap but good quality with lots of options. But this year im doing vouchers so itll be mini gift bags fro. Ikea whenever they come into stock

Ttbb Fri 22-Sep-17 21:38:39

We do a different one each year (ok, I'm lying, we buy a different roll and ribbon each year). Last year it was butchers paper and snowflakes with twine, the year before it was London buses and lime green ribbon. I don't really care so long as it all gets used up!

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Fri 22-Sep-17 21:41:01

I always like to do themed wrapping paper and then other people drop off gifts for under the tree in completely clashing colours and style!

Need to start looking for this year's paper actually!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 22-Sep-17 21:47:01

I used to buy the Costco rolls (grid squares on the back to help me measure too) pack of 4 rolls.

My DC are now teens so I buy gift boxes and tissue paper tied with ribbon, their presents are tiny but ££ now.

I don't have a theme but DS and DD have their own wrappings to tell them apart.

I love dark or royal blue with gold.
Also need to start looking fwink

SallyForthSunshine Fri 22-Sep-17 21:50:33

Do you happen to still have the link for the 80s paper? I want it!!

SallyForthSunshine Fri 22-Sep-17 21:51:15

Nvm I found it, thank you!

elQuintoConyo Fri 22-Sep-17 21:54:17

I use squares/rectangles of fabric with ribbon, and fabric drawstring bags. The same ones every year.

DS loves seeing the same wrapping every year.

Isadora2007 Fri 22-Sep-17 22:12:06

That 80s paper makes me want to cry. Anyone crafty give me an idea of something I could make out of that paper if I bought it off eBay as a keepsake of sorts? It just screams childhood Christmas to me. I love it.

Last year despite being a mum for 19 years I had the revelation of one paper for each child. It saved sooooo much hassle of finding a mystery present and having to unwrap the bloody thing to figure out whose it was. This year ds would love Pokémon so if @ohholyfuck could direct me...that would be fab.

elQuintoConyo Fri 22-Sep-17 22:21:48

Isadora: frame a small rectangle of each in white frames from Ikea, put them up only as part of Christmas decorating.

I did this with 3 bolts of lovely Christmas fabric. They go up mid-December for 4 weeks. It is lovely seeing them every year.

didireallysaythat Fri 22-Sep-17 22:30:23

Anyone found a good source of Xmas wrapping paper online ? I can't face driving into the nearest town to park and ride and then carry back rolls and rolls of paper.

singadream Fri 22-Sep-17 22:33:02

The different paper for each child thing was a revelation for me too last year. Actually needed two papers for each child. One for the from us gifts and one for the santa gifts.

BrieAndChilli Fri 22-Sep-17 22:33:06

Matalan have Pokémon paper at the moment

rainbowlou Fri 22-Sep-17 22:36:08

Santa wraps his presents in brown parcel paper and I wrap the presents from us in whatever is on offer ( I used to do a theme every year but I can't be bothered anymore!)

Isadora2007 Fri 22-Sep-17 22:38:04

@elquintoconyo
Thank you. Even I can manage that!!! I was envisaging crafty genius people suggesting all sorts of difficult stuff... but that's simple and ideal.
My idea was to wrap some fake presents and put them out round the stove/fireplace...

MoonfaceAndSilky Fri 22-Sep-17 22:39:54

I too love that 80s paper, looking at it makes me feel all funny. Happy happy times smile
Also it was really lovely and thick wasn't it?

Isadora2007 Fri 22-Sep-17 22:40:03

@didireallysaythat
Studio/Ace has some good bargains and I believe are doing happy hour on Fridays between 10-2 with 25% off.
If you're a new customer you can often get free postage too.

FinallyHere Fri 22-Sep-17 22:44:02

Isadora gat idea, i think the fake presents is the way to go.

I use my favourite combination of gold/creme/dark green for our presents every year. Looks lovely under the tree, then, sigh, we start meeting up with others and swapping presents. The pile of presents grows and the heap starts to be a multicolour jumble. I would love to rewrap them in my favourite colours.

Anytime anyone uses a bag or box in the 'right' colours i keep it and use it to pad out the colourful display...

Twistmeandturnme Fri 22-Sep-17 23:00:58

Isadora I'd use the paper to decoupage gift boxes that you could use every year for the Christmas Eve mini hampers (for Pjs etc). It would be lovely.

I have used the same colour scheme for over 10 years: matt gold on the tree, with dark red /burgundyish dolls and fruit. For wrapping paper I go for matt gold again but with different ribbons each year, either green or gold or dark red. extra gifts don't go under the tree until Christmas eve so I don't have to look at them grin. Father Christmas delivers stockings and one main gift each, which isn't wrapped but has a silver/white bow and tag, to show it's not from us (except they are all teens now so know).
When they were smaller we had a fake tree in the playroom that had multi-coloured lights and all their home made decs on and fake gifts in all papers underneath. We haven't done this for a couple of years now but still have a trunk of their home made efforts.: as each one goes to Uni I'm packing up the baubles they made so they can decorate their rooms. 2 down, 3 to go....

Isadora2007 Fri 22-Sep-17 23:21:29

Decoupage!?!? Is that torn little bits and watered down glue?? Does it look a bit shiny after? I thought that paper had to be quite thin?

I've bought the set of 10 sheets so I will see how much I can do... definitely liking the frame idea and the empty box presents... but decoupage could be nice too. We don't do Xmas eve box but could get some letters and do a word... Xmas? Home? Love? Family?

Twistmeandturnme Sat 23-Sep-17 00:14:46

It doesn't have to be tiny bits...enough to show the pictures, but if you tear rather than cut you get smoother edges. A bit like a patchwork; so great for keeping papers with happy memories. It doesn't have to be shiny: I'm cheap so use flour and water paste as if for paper mache and then once dry I use a water based matt varnish over the top to protect it. A tiny jar lasts ages.
If you love the papers maybe a box to keep the baubles in? Anything which might come out year on year...

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Sat 23-Sep-17 08:04:11

Morning, my phone ran out after I posted. Loving the idea of using the special paper for something different. I never wrapped kids presents in different paper as I wanted them to look the same but did steal the idea for the stockings so I don't have to bother labelling the tiny bits.
Still haven't decided whether to go with that theme- might have a look at Pinterest later.

Piccolino2 Sat 23-Sep-17 08:55:29

One year I used a plain red, a gold and a green foil paper with really elaborate beautiful different ribbons from Costco. It was stunning. I have lots of different ribbons now so might do the same this year. It was so classy. Problem is I love looking at the patterned paper too. I just love it all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: