Talk

Advanced search

Foodie treats

(9 Posts)
NerosFiddle Fri 22-Sep-17 11:14:33

Normally around Christmas I buy a lovely selection of cured meats, a good cheese board and a nice bottle of port as my wee treat. This year I'm pregnant so can't have any of it. Any ideas on treats that I could get this year? So far I've put Lidl Stollen on the list but I can't think of anything else because I don't have a sweet tooth normally.

What are your Christmas food treats?

Spam88 Fri 22-Sep-17 11:45:26

Baked Camembert?

ponderingprobably Fri 22-Sep-17 11:50:35

Cheeses that you can have. Smoked cheese, good cheddar. Lovely crackers to go with. Lovely bread. Mince pies. Nice sausages. Cheese tarts. Luxury crisps. Make and freeze some good soups. Good quality pie. Home made ice cream with stewed fruit swirled in (2x600ml pots double cream whipped with tin condensed milk add stewed fruit and freeze.) Some interesting pickles and chutneys. Indian nibbles.

ponderingprobably Fri 22-Sep-17 11:51:25

^ a lot of these treats are suitable all year round, though!

canihaveacoffeeplease Fri 22-Sep-17 11:54:07

According to the NHS website as long as you freeze cured meats for 4 days they are ok to eat. I was pregnant last Christmas and my MW said as long as you buy pre packaged meat (eg not sliced for you to order from the local deli) and freeze meat the risk is extremely minimal, so this is what I did.

Also second baked Camembert, yum!

Lots of gorgeous expensive chocs (way more expensive than you'd normally buy as you won't be drinking and deserve it being pregnant at Christmas- try Charbonnel and Walker!)

Twistmeandturnme Fri 22-Sep-17 12:06:09

Hot ham with red cabbage braised with red onion, apples, cinnamon and cider vinegar. <drool>
Grilled Sole with a lemon butter sauce.
really good quality chipolata sauces cooked and then based in a mustard and honey glaze (I don't like honey expect in this).
Mulled wine made with the 0.1% alcohol red (I think it's a tempranillo) you can get in the supermarket, with lots of citrus in to give it zing.
Really good orange juice (if like me you buy the long life for the rest of the year. Freshly squeezed on Christmas Day is a real treat.)

d270r0 Fri 22-Sep-17 12:15:47

I just scoffed a Terrys chocolate orange as it was buy 1 get 2 free in Tesco blush

BiddyPop Fri 22-Sep-17 12:24:12

You can still have cheese, but just maybe not all types.

Pasteurised soft cheeses are ok, and any hard cheese is fine. I found I tended to not be interested in blue cheese when I was pg.

Amaretti biscuits?

Nice terrines instead of pate?

Are you not allowed cured meats?

I wouldn't have shellfish that stays stationary (so mussels, clams etc are off the menu) but things that are classified as shellfish but that swim around were ok (so prawns, crab, lobster etc) once you are happy with the source and how they're kept (properly chilled so no food poisoning risk). M&S tend to have nice options at Christmas-time.

I looked at each type of food that was either "banned" or "not advised" when I was pg, and looked at the reasons for each. Some were proper reasons, but many were a general "you shouldn't eat unpasteurized versions and many people don't check so we will just say don't have any" guidance.

So I would have coleslaw where I bought it from a good shop and opened the pack myself, or made it myself at home with properly kept mayonnaise, but never in sandwich from a deli counter while I was pg, for example.

And, with the full blessing of my Dr, I had lots of cheese as normal, but I did have to buy pasteurized soft cheeses (and that usually meant pre-packed versions in decent delis/supermarkets) rather than picking anything off the stall at the farmers' market/counter at the cheesemonger.

M&S do a nice alcohol free mulled wine.

NerosFiddle Fri 22-Sep-17 13:05:38

I will get some alcohol free mulled wine when it comes out.

I didn't know you could eat Camembert if it was baked! I've just been staying away from all soft cheeses. I've really been craving blue cheese but that can be my treat when the baby is born.

I make my own mince pies so I'll have that with a nice glass of the af mulled wine.

Any other drinks that could be seen as a treat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now