Talk

Advanced search

What can I put in a stocking for a baby?

(24 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Opheliasgoldenwine Fri 22-Sep-17 11:08:01

DD will be nine months by Christmas and I'm not sure what to put in her stocking. Any help appreciated smile

ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Fri 22-Sep-17 11:16:54

Buggy book, rattle, Christmas bib, socks, fruit...

Glowinginthedark Fri 22-Sep-17 11:24:54

Character plate, bowl, spoon, cup etc

Glowinginthedark Fri 22-Sep-17 11:28:07

Pjs!

Spam88 Fri 22-Sep-17 11:29:56

I'm just going by size, so all the smaller toys I've bought her will go in there (rattles, little bath toys).

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Fri 22-Sep-17 11:45:50

I'm planning one of those spiky balls with flashing lights in.

Maybe something like a rubber duck?

Love the Christmas bib idea.

RB68 Fri 22-Sep-17 12:02:16

Gloves and Hat, def books - the "Thats not my...." series. Soft shoes/slippery things for starting to walk

d270r0 Fri 22-Sep-17 12:08:27

Things she will like to grab and play with there and then. Little food bits, sippy cup, thing to chew on, ball, little car, something that makes a noise, mirror etc. Whatever will get a smile out of her!

SquedgieBeckenheim Fri 22-Sep-17 12:10:00

DD2 will be 9 months at Christmas.
In her stocking she will get:
a bodysuit
socks
a toy remote
a flannel
bubble bath
a rainmaker toy
a packet of baby snacks

She'll also have a Christmas eve box with PJ's and a book

Equimum Fri 22-Sep-17 12:24:25

For DSs first Christmas, when he was al it's one, I bought a set of wooden instruments and wrapped them all separately in his stocking.

BiddyPop Fri 22-Sep-17 12:40:10

A book - either for bedtime reading (story) or for daytime playtime (squishy activity type).

Something useful like sippy cup, cutlery, bowl, extra bibs (any of those can be spares as generally a second set gets well used too!). They could even be things to mark a transition to more "grown up" eating and drinking.

Other useful bits are things like hats, gloves, socks - that will all get well used over winter.

Small toys like stacking blocks, musical instruments/rattles, maybe a car, animal or doll, and mix of textures, colours, lights/not, sounds, uses etc within whatever you get. If you get something like a shape sorter set, you could have the receptable outside the stocking but all the shapes in the stocking to bulk it out.

Some kind of treat food - a chocolate coin or travel snacks etc.

A little stuffed toy santa or reindeer or similar?

And maybe a "Baby's First Christmas", a named or another special decoration for the tree which will be theirs in years to come?

user1471546359 Fri 22-Sep-17 17:09:25

Bath book? Any baby sensory toy she has enjoyed so far? A plastic Slinky went down well for my just turned one year old a couple of Christmases ago

LouMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Sep-17 20:22:38

Ooh, my DD was also nine months for her first Christmas (a few years back). She wore a succession of cringesome cute fancy dress outfits that year. Baby elf anyone?!

From what I remember, we popped some little books and bath toys in her stocking. And of course the obligatory 'Baby's First Christmas' bauble which we still have and which I now get a bit misty eyed over each year.

A tangerine always goes down well too!

CatsCantFlyFast Fri 22-Sep-17 20:27:57

I'd buy stuff that's for age 1-2 for her to grow into. My first was a similar age and I remember her getting a threading apple (worm that goes through a wooden apple), which was a hit

Opheliasgoldenwine Fri 22-Sep-17 20:29:32

I've never had someone from MNHQ join in my thread shockgrinblush

MrEBear Sat 23-Sep-17 10:55:28

Dummies
Toothbrush
Socks
Buggy book
Small cuddly toy.
Bath duck
Christmas bib.

ElphabaTheGreen Sat 23-Sep-17 11:03:15

I gave my DCs exactly nothing for their first Christmases because I figured that, at their ages, it would mean absolutely nothing to them and other people's wrapping paper would be more than enough fun for them, and cost nothing. I was right and have zero regrets.

<Suspects self to be far too much of a Scrooge to even consider posting in Christmas, ever>

<Sidles back to the far more familiar territory of AIBU bunfights>

MrEBear Sat 23-Sep-17 12:09:57

Elph did your older kids not ask why Santa forgot about the baby?

Anyway that aside stockings are fun for babies.

ElphabaTheGreen Sat 23-Sep-17 20:56:55

Nope. DS1 was 2yo for DS2's first Christmas. He was only slightly more aware of the significance of the occasion than DS2 was and was far too entertained by the new toy kitchen which had magically appeared in his living room next to the mystery tree he had been trying to dismantle for the preceding few weeks, than to worry about what his noisy and decidedly less interesting baby brother was up to.

LouMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 24-Sep-17 16:15:23

Oops, sorry for barging in like that @Opheliasgoldenwine - I just can't resist a Christmas stocking thread, especially in September.

I'm backing away slowly now....as you were, everyone.

grin

Opheliasgoldenwine Sun 24-Sep-17 16:53:07

@LouMumsnet Noo! That's not what I meant! Pleasant shock, not annoyance!smile

liquidrevolution Mon 25-Sep-17 13:38:07

A satsuma and a few toys, plus a Christmas book. I got the toys from the Sainsburys toy sale in October. Their wooden baby stuff is usually half price. Wooden xylophone and stacking cups were both hits if I remember.

If you havent already got a stocking, dont buy a huge one or you have to fill it when the presents get smaller as they get older and buy two so you can just swap them over wink.

LouMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Sep-17 22:48:27

@Opheliasgoldenwine grin - glad I didn't scare you!

Nine-months-old is a fab age at Christmas. They can get involved and you can dress them up in daft costumes without complaint but they're still a good few years off demanding mountains of Shopkins etc. Perfect.

Enjoy!

PodgeBod Sat 30-Sep-17 19:55:20

My DD1 was 10m on her first Christmas. From what I remember, I got her
Bath toys
A teether
Cuddly toy
Baby sweeties
Milkyway santa
Tomy squeaky eggs (big hit!)
Bath book

I tend to do physically small gifts in stockings instead of just fun/lower price buys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now