Talk

Advanced search

Are there any non choc advent calendars out there for 12 year old boys?

(32 Posts)
Happybell Tue 19-Sep-17 19:15:42

However open to ideas to choc/sweet ones that are a bit different smile

FormerlyFrikadela01 Tue 19-Sep-17 19:17:35

Lego. I got the star wars one got my dp last year and he loved it

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 19-Sep-17 19:17:58

LEGO. For ages 3-103 grin

Derekmorganwasinmybed Tue 19-Sep-17 19:19:35

Haribo do a calendar,b&ms sell them for £5

mangomama91 Tue 19-Sep-17 19:19:48

Why not get one you can fill yourself? smile

pollyhampton Tue 19-Sep-17 19:21:10

I've bought 12yo ds the Haynes build your own radio one, was about £6 on Amazon.

MrsJayy Tue 19-Sep-17 19:22:30

Yes lego i got the adult Dds them last year you need to get them quick though i got 2 in november legostore guy said they were almost gone.

Logoplanter Wed 20-Sep-17 06:42:58

There is a Match Attack one, if he likes those? My kids are 6 and 4 so I may be out of touch!

PrimalLass Wed 20-Sep-17 06:45:25

I must have the only two kids not bothered about lego.

BiddyPop Wed 20-Sep-17 11:38:05

Lego have both a City and a Star Wars AC that would be suitable (they also do a Friends one, but that is aimed at girls really). We've got the City one twice now, and DD has already asked for it again this year (some things are relatively similar, always seems to be a Santa and a Snowman, but there is always a slightly different theme too so nothing is quite the same).

Religious shops often have the type with just pictures behind the doors. (I know, slinking off - but it's a "non-choc AC"! fgrin)

Would he accept a "fill your own" one, and you can pick up whatever he tends to like (treat-sized sweets, match attack cards or whatever he collects, toy cars, Lego minifigures or the tiny kits .....a mix of sweets and the occasional larger item)?

Hawkmoth Wed 20-Sep-17 15:22:58

I was going to post here about this. DS has asked for a football one but I'm not going down the football card route as he's too obsessive!

Looks like self filling for us unless anyone has any bright ideas. Would it be helpful to share the links of what I find on eBay?

I8toys Wed 20-Sep-17 16:10:20

In the past I've done envelopes stuck to a board and filled with pokemon cards - packs bought from ebay cheaply. Or 24 balloon advent filled with chocs.

I've got a wooden drawer set that I got from The Works and filled with 24 Pokémon figures. Aliexpress are good for packs of figures.

I8toys Wed 20-Sep-17 16:11:45

Pinterest have some good ideas for make your own.

d270r0 Wed 20-Sep-17 16:48:25

John lewis do a gingerbread one

delilahbucket Wed 20-Sep-17 16:52:41

Getting DS a marshmallow one this year from Naked Marshmallow.

Evelynismyspyname Wed 20-Sep-17 16:55:26

Polly that sounds brilliant - any way of knowing whether it's any good?

PotteringAlong Wed 20-Sep-17 16:58:16

What's wrong with just pictures?

Evelynismyspyname Wed 20-Sep-17 17:10:26

Pottering if you've always had chocolate being presented with a picture one is a "pretend not to mind" moment.

If just pictures is all you've ever had you can't miss what you've never had, that's why just pictures was fine "in our day". 3 channels on the TV was fine too.

It's a bit puritanical and boarderline vindictive to get kids used to luxury then decide without financial need that they should give up nice things because it was fine for us to do without in the 70s/ 80s or whenever.

PotteringAlong Wed 20-Sep-17 18:49:12

Fair enough. that's why I'm glad I only ever buy advent calendars with pictures in and my kids are young enough that I can carry on doing so without being seen in a few years as "borderline vindictive" then!

Whocansay Wed 20-Sep-17 19:56:48

I actually LOOKED for traditional picture ones and couldn't find them. Just lots of nasty chocolate ones. I have a wooden fill your own one, which is lovely. Santa magically fills them overnight you see, so you can't cheat...

We've also had the Lego and Match Attax ones, which went down very well.

shakemysilliesout Thu 21-Sep-17 06:59:14

My daughter laughs at me as I always pick myself a picture only one as it reminds me of my childhood, whilst her and dh open their chocolate and playmobil ones!

allthegoodusernameshavegone Thu 21-Sep-17 07:02:39

12! Are you sure he wants one?

mumtri Thu 21-Sep-17 07:03:07

Make you own, a box of 24 presents, some can be two pence sweets, some can be a pocket money toy, yes it costs more but is personal and we do it as art of the overall present, great fun watching them open

StarHeartDiamond Thu 21-Sep-17 07:16:01

I've given the choc ones and the Lego ones etc but my kids enjoyed the picture ones more, as it was just a chocolate-collecting exercise with the choc one - it wasn't as special. Your dc is maybe a bit old for picture one though.

DustyMaiden Thu 21-Sep-17 07:16:08

Puritanical and borderline vindictive, that's a tad melodramatic.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: