Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fitbit for 8 year old

(9 Posts)
InYourHonour Mon 18-Sep-17 17:35:25

My son has been asking all year for a Fitbit for Christmas.
Hes 8 and very slim wrists can anyone reccommend a smaller size fitbit or another fitness watch that would suit him?
It needs to count steps, flights of stairs and preferably heart rate
Thanks

CobwebKitten Mon 18-Sep-17 17:53:07

I think you need to take a step back and remember he's a little kid, and does not need to be thinking about 'being fat', steps, heart rate and that sort of stuff.

These things aren't for children. They can be unhealthily addictive for adults.

Fekko Mon 18-Sep-17 17:56:11

Doesn't it work best if connected to a phone?

I think he's a bit young - and it's it exactly a cheap piece of kit. DS got a pedometer and got bored with it very quickly!

I know that wasn't the question! A colleague wears a brooch which looks like a leaf that she says is a fitness tracker.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Mon 18-Sep-17 19:06:09

i have tiny wrists and I bought a cheap fake one off ebay and it still could go smaller. i don't think an 8 year old needs an actual fit bit.

diamantegal Mon 18-Sep-17 19:12:34

I've seen this on Amazon and contemplating it for my 7 year old DS:

[ https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Vivofit-Motivator-Activity-Tracker/dp/B01LW8SVRB]

I know he doesn't need a fitbit, but he's fascinated by mine and if we go for a walk he loves checking all the stats. It's not about him doing more exercise, it's that he's genuinely interested and so why not encourage it?

shebebutlittle Mon 18-Sep-17 20:42:15

I agree diamamtegal. If it encourages kids to be active then what is the harm.

I know of a couple of DD's friends have the Vivofit linked above, beauty of it being it doesn't need to be charged.

ItsAllAboutThePace Mon 18-Sep-17 20:54:58

cobweb op didn't say anything about being fat?

3boysNeedABiggerKitchen Wed 20-Sep-17 09:38:41

I bought my 8 year old a Fitbit lookalike from Amazon. It had a small strap, I cannot recall which one it was but the reviews should help you out.
It was £15-20, he loved it. Only wore it outside school hours. He enjoyed competitive stepping, has no body image hang up and is a normal active boy.
Go for a cheap one that does not matter if they get bored of it (mine did).

LegoHurts Sat 23-Sep-17 23:09:23

DC (9) had the Garmin vivofit (not the junior version) for Christmas last year and has religiously worn it every day. The small wrist strap is fine. I would recommend it and I know several friends have also bought one.

The real plus if not having to charge it. It also tells the time so can wear it at school as a watch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now