Talk

Advanced search

What are you getting your DS (3.5-4y) this year?

(42 Posts)
CWG17 Sun 17-Sep-17 18:52:28

Ok, we are in desperate need for ideas for DS Christmas presents.

What are you getting yours if they are around 3.5-4yo?

DS loves anything with wheels (has heaps of matchbox style cars as well as some medium monster truck types), duplo (again, already has two giant boxes full) and is starting to get a bit more into imaginative play. We have a kitchen and food, easel, lots of books, a few puzzles, farm animals, IKEA train set, scooter - usual kid stuff.

We live in a flat so not heaps of room, no outside space.

He will likely start school in Sept 2018 and goes to child care 4 days/week.

Help!!!

NoWordForFluffy Sun 17-Sep-17 18:56:14

DS will be 3.5 at Christmas.

He is getting:

Lego
A Trunki suitcase
Books
A Minion fleece blanket
A kite
A Paw Patrol game
A Playmobil fire engine.

There's pirate crayons, a cookie cutter, Dino torch, Dino stencils and a few other bits in his stocking.

CurlsLDN Sun 17-Sep-17 18:56:35

Hello, my ds is 3.5 and sounds v similar!

He loves Lego (is tired of duplo) so I may get him some more of that. I've also got him some of those stand on bucket stilts - monster feet ones from tiger.

I will probably get him a superhero dressing up costume, Spider-Man or similar.

Last Christmas I got him a lovely red wooden bus with peg passengers from habitat, he loved that and plays with it almost every day. It's quite big and will last a long time, which is great as he gets more into imaginative play.

Katescurios Sun 17-Sep-17 18:58:26

Could you get him an experience gift instead, like a trip to digger world?

CWG17 Sun 17-Sep-17 19:02:05

Ooh, the bucket stilts sound good.

We are considering digger world for 4y birthday, so could possibly bring that forward for Christmas.

He is still very keen on duplo so don't need/want to move to lego yet (never mind that what we have been given would be over £1000 new!)

This is a really tough age!

MiniMileyMoo Sun 17-Sep-17 19:45:55

Imaginext was popular with my boy at that age - we got an eBay bundle of fire station, fire engine, ambulance, rescue helicopter and various people and is still played with very frequently aged nearly 5. He also loved his pretend Bosch tool set from that age too.

sjd84 Sun 17-Sep-17 20:01:00

My little boy was nearly 4 last christmas, his favourite present was a dressing up rail (brought from Jojo Maman Bebe) that included a few different Melissa and Doug outfits and some superhero capes from Amazon. He loves the different outfits.

Also Lego at that age as their definitely on the lookout for something more challenging than Duplo, the lego juniors range or creative range is good.

NoWordForFluffy Sun 17-Sep-17 20:01:59

Ooh yes, we've got DS an Imaginext castle too. I forgot!

NoWordForFluffy Sun 17-Sep-17 20:03:52

We find Lego City good as well. And we've bought DS just big standard Classic Lego as he likes to build his own stuff!

Desperad0 Sun 17-Sep-17 20:35:18

I wish we had this problem, our nearly 4 yo has a Christmas list as long as my arm 🙈
Paw patrol sea patroler, jungle patroler, lion guard set, nerf track, kiddie zoom camera, fingerlings and vtech switch and go dinos

CWG17 Sun 17-Sep-17 20:48:10

I haven't even asked DS what he would like. Not sure I'd get a reasonable answer! DH also suggested something Paw Patrol related.

Might ask at nursery if there's anything there he plays with a lot.

He likes cbeebies: Bing, Hey Duggee, alphablocks and numberblocks are current faves. Also very slightly obsessed with YouTube kids on the iPad.

I'm considering a thomas train set that's a bit more involved than IKEA and has battery powered bits but I don't want anything that's too fiddly to set up and pack away every time he wants to play with it.

We are going away to the snow after Christmas so a new snowsuit can be one item.

elizabethdraper Sun 17-Sep-17 23:17:35

My 3.5 wants reindeers.

He picked a horrible tacky plastic one on Amazon and he telling everyone about it!!

We getting him a doctor set, books, jigsaw s, and that's it i think.

He doesn't need anything else

Penguinbeaver Sun 17-Sep-17 23:18:26

How about mini scalextric

CWG17 Mon 18-Sep-17 07:11:13

Penguin, that's another of DH's ideas.

3wheels Mon 18-Sep-17 07:13:48

We bought playmags for mine last Christmas and they get played with loads by lots of different ages children. We bought the set with a car base and are going to add more to it this Christmas. Also agree with Imaginetext, he loves the batman characters.

3wheels Mon 18-Sep-17 07:16:15

Also the galt first octons are played with a lot and a kid k'nex set went down well. He loves constructing!

SimplyNigella Mon 18-Sep-17 07:52:32

DS will be 4 in January and for his Christmas and birthday is getting:

- add ons for his wooden train set, probably some high level track, the Brio adventure tunnel and a crane set
- Orchard board games. He was a bought a couple for his third birthday and he loves them, Dotty Dinosaurs in particular
- Lego Juniors
- Hey Duggee clubhouse and Christmas Hey Duggee magazine, possibly some pyjamas too
- flashing siren light to go on his trike and Cosy Coupe (he already loves his police helmet)
- play traffic light and cones as he is obsessed with traffic jams and diversions
- magnetic table top easel with lower case magnetic letters and numbers
- pretend Post Office play set (he already has a till and loves playing shops)
- marble run

wobblywonderwoman Mon 18-Sep-17 07:58:47

I have two boys and two birthdays around Christmas (they have a lot as family are good to them) but still.. Thinking

-remote control crane
-more tools for tool set (battery drill etc)
-two of the larger paw patrol vehicles
-elc castle and knights with playmobil trolls
--tap tap art

seefeld Mon 18-Sep-17 08:14:17

Mine wants a "moving car" - a remote control car.

Love the idea of those monster feet posted upthread!

MrsHathaway Mon 18-Sep-17 13:21:47

4 in November.

He's desperate for the Sea Patroller, but that might appear for his birthday. TBH I buy as late as possible for him because he is quite fickle.

He also loves PJ Masks for now so I'm keeping an eye on the Argos collection.

Can I just advise against remote controlled cars unless you're spending quite a lot of money on them? DC2 was obsessed with them so PIL and GMIL bought him cheap RC cars. They were SHIT and went through batteries like nobody's business (needed replacing on Christmas Day and again on Boxing Day). I think I threw them out in a fit of temper when we realised we had spent more on batteries than they had cost in the first place hmm Get the expensive ones - check reviews for reliability etc - and buy rechargeable batteries for them!!

rachrach2 Mon 18-Sep-17 13:42:14

I have a girl the same age and all she wants is playmobil, my nephews love it too. I buy it mainly second hand so get a lot for my money.

Allthepinkunicorns Mon 18-Sep-17 16:04:43

My Ds is getting loads of lego he loves the stuff, his main present is the lego batman batcave which I will have to bloody build but hey ho. He's also getting playmobile, play doh, lots of craft supplies as we always do crafty stuff in our house. He's getting plenty of books, a baking set and cook book for kids, a few dvds and loads of chocolate which I will sneakily eat when no one is looking grin

drspouse Tue 19-Sep-17 13:48:14

DD is going to be 3.5 and I think she's getting:
Fun dress (I make them and she loves cars, trucks etc and it's v hard to get these on dresses)
Subscription to Story Box magazine
Nice plate and mug
Toy motorbike that makes lots of noise.

seefeld Tue 19-Sep-17 19:29:41

Thanks for the batteries tip MrsHathaway. I generally hate battery operated toys for that reason - plus the noise - but he's car mad and has wanted one for about a year now so think I'm going to have to give in.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Tue 19-Sep-17 21:45:11

How about the learning resources coding mouse? Or the amazon fire tablet - dd was 5 when we got it but would be suitable for younger children it's fantastic.

Some ideas of what dd's loved at that age
- busy books of favourite films/programmes. (Book with 12 figures and playmat normally around £5 - we have paw patrol, disney ones and more!)
- Dr's kit and bandages.
- fancy dress of favourite character.
- lunch box, backpack, plates, cup, bedding with favourite character.
- stickers.
- slinkies particularly big ones!
- puppet theatre and puppets
- imaginext especially the bat cave
- happyland
- colour in house or rocket or similar from hobbycraft.
- tent we have the ikea one and it's fantastic. Dd's love making a den in there and there's enough space for all 3 of us to get in for cosy stories.
- books the lost my name one is brilliant. DD loves that her name is in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now