Page 2 | Great presents for the men in your lives...

(37 Posts)
Jessica78 Mon 21-Aug-17 23:12:29

Hello!

Trying to think about gifts for my DP, my Dad & my brother! So I was wondering what were the best gifts that the male of the species in your lives have received in the past...

I've asked my DP & he has said National Trust membership, a Spicery subscription, an Alessi Bottle Opener shaped like a parrot, a frame for a vinyl record, a mini tyre inflator compressor thing.

My brother coveted some Star Wars Golf Balls from TaylorMade,

Both my Dad and DP I bought Paul Smith wallets for about 10 years ago & they are still going strong.

My Grandad has loved his weather station.

So I'm wondering what have been popular gifts for the men in your family?

OP’s posts: |
Kraggle Wed 23-Aug-17 13:01:52

Slot machine, Xbox, PS4, Lego. And yes he is supposed to be a grown up!

itchywanksocks Wed 23-Aug-17 13:20:09

Engraved Beard comb, beard brush and beard oils here! Also some posh leather gloves and real raybans have been a hit

WaxOnFeckOff Wed 23-Aug-17 13:47:32

My DH is fairly easy to buy for. He has various hobbies that all require bits of kit and he also likes consumables such as Whisky and beer and chocolate.

Teens have been okay-ish, one DS is into tech, mainly computer bits (and lego) the other is into music and breaks everything he has so needs frequent replacements.

On the other hand, I am a nightmare to buy for. I don't do anything that requires equipment, I'm really into expensive toiletries or perfume etc. I know DH and DSs struggle. So much so that DH had a dream in which he had identified the perfect present for me and was so pleased with himself. When he woke up he remembered the dream but forgot what the item was. I've told him it probably wasn't anything that actually exists in real life and to let it go... grin

Succesful presents for me have been a bit "out the box" . One was some shiny new buckets, chamois, sponges etc for my car (I like to hand wash it myself), a new oven (the old one was doing my head in) and a photo album.

I bought DH an iron for his birthday once and he was delighted smile

Changerofname987654321 Wed 23-Aug-17 13:57:40

Bike I love those mugs.

My DH favourite gift last year were socks from quiet rebellion. I seem remember that they had an excellent special offer which was on the bargain thread.

MrsPworkingmummy Wed 23-Aug-17 14:06:44

I think my DH has been most pleased with a banjo that I bought him afew years back. He also loved a tassimo coffee machine that I bought him about 8 years ago (it still works) xx

Rumblemumble Wed 23-Aug-17 14:34:09

I bought my husband a coffee bean grinder and a 6 month coffee subscription, I thought it was a bit of a boring gift but he loved it!

Advertisement

SpanishFly Wed 23-Aug-17 16:45:08

I'm currently looking into a cheese club subscription but night not be a good idea since he's trying to lose weight 😂

Annwithnoe Wed 23-Aug-17 20:15:32

I'm really stumped for good ideas. Catalogue of failures include a scratch map, form cards, sugru, compound 9, grid it, photo cufflinks, glossy photo book, DVD boxsets, smartphone projector, car seat warmer....all highly recommended on mumsnet sad

He has no interest in sports, alcohol or food. He has one eye-wateringly expensive hobby (££££s) that is more a once every 5 years kind of thing. He's reached an age where he already has everything confused

I feel I should add that he's absolutely lovely, and very gracious when receiving gifts. Other people assume they've hit the mark, I just know him better.

Stuff that has worked: surprise adventure holiday, hobby equipment, designer clothes, masterclass in his hobby, ... all a bit beyond our budget these days

I read an article where Mary Berry said she gets an IOU from her husband and I'm seriously considering introducing the concept to DH.

SpanishFly Wed 23-Aug-17 20:32:46

Anne what about an overnight somewhere? I often get DH an overnight somewhere that's not too far - maybe an hour's drive sort of distance. We don't spend much time alone so it's nice to find a babysitter once a year and go somewhere for a nice meal and overnight. Almost always we crash out as we're so relaxed 😂

SpanishFly Wed 23-Aug-17 20:33:10

Sorry Ann

MrsPworkingmummy Wed 23-Aug-17 21:29:37

I spoke to my DH earlier about this, and he actually confirmed that one of his favourite gifts from me was a homemade set of 'Love Tokens' i'd made years back. On each one, I'd written an IOU with things like 'a hot bubble bath after work, and a massage' and other things I knew he would love . I then added a photo of us or of our special places, laminated each one and tied them all together with ribbon. I had forgotten about that present...it was pre-child of course!

Jessica78 Thu 24-Aug-17 18:05:07

Have added the Aeropress to my list for DP & BIL - and i think I will get my DB some Jack Daniels Smoking chips for his Big Green Egg thing (thanks to the pp who suggested the BBQ smoker - he doesn't need that but the chips came up in an Amazon search! Any further ideas are so so welcome - thank you everyone so far!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in