Talk

Advanced search

What does your four year old play with?

(22 Posts)
Mallowmarshmallow Tue 30-May-17 10:19:01

My DS has an upcoming birthday near the end of the year, then obviously have Christmas to plan for too. I'd like to stay compiling some thoughts....

What do your 4 year old boys like to play with?

MelinaMercury Tue 30-May-17 13:44:32

My 4yo loves her wooden train set, marble run, space hopper, Kiddizoom camera and dinosaur foam picture things that stick to the bathroom tiles.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Tue 30-May-17 17:32:04

Marble run
Lego - not Duplo. Bricks rather than "build this plane" sets
Junior Scalectrix
Wooden train set
"Junk modelling" AKA emptying the recycling and gluing it all together

ahipponamedbooboobutt Tue 30-May-17 18:55:59

Ds is 5 but his favourite toys are superheroes/imaginext. He also has a wooden castle he loves playing with. He's also playing Pokémon a lot but I think that's more the influence of his elder brother.

PrincessPlod Tue 30-May-17 19:12:15

Matchbox cars, Lego, playmobil, stickers god he loves sticks and art stuff.

starlight36 Tue 30-May-17 20:50:43

Dinosaurs
Transformer RescueBot toys
Playmobil pirates and knights sets
Lego - more bricks than anything else
Wooden train set
Board games - orchard toys and silly games - Pop Up Pirates and Hungry Hippos

Methenyouplus4 Thu 01-Jun-17 07:04:57

Wooden train set, metal toy cars, plastic dinosaurs, scooter, sand pit, any sort of figures he can play imaginatively with e.g. happyland/sylvanian/ playmobil, play food/ kitchen, a doll. He is getting a castle for Xmas and some monsters etc as figures.

Methenyouplus4 Thu 01-Jun-17 07:05:19

Oh and his farm.

nellifurtardo Thu 01-Jun-17 07:22:48

My nearly 4 year old plays with lego, dress up costumes which are mostly super hero themed. Board games like pop up pirate, puzzles, cars, any role play things oh and magazines and stickers. I forgot to mention his Nintendo ds.

Turnbacktime101 Sun 04-Jun-17 23:07:02

Playmobil - fire fighter / police sets
Rescue bots
Fireman Sam stuff - good bargains to be had on second hand bundles on eBay with this
Boats. Big bloody boats in the bath
Trains - wooden tracks and brio battery powered trains are the best
I wouldn't make the mistake again IME of buying Lego sets at this stage as I think they loose creativity of just having big box of bricks. Duplo is shite
Dinosaurs. Get a few good ones and then a big box of cheap extras from Asda etc. Love making dinosaur world <the kids do, honest>
And maybe the best gift for a four year old boy - a whoopie cushion

mmgirish Mon 05-Jun-17 09:53:41

My 5 and 2 year old kids love to play with: Dress up clothes, wooden trains, duplo, lego, bicycles, transport toys and dinosaurs/animals.

Misty9 Sat 08-Jul-17 23:20:46

Playmobil playmobil playmobil grin we have the lifeboat station, space rocket shuttle and launch pad, and various mini sets.

Also octonauts toys have been a firm favourite for years and go jetters a recent addition. All very well made. Lego not so much but still loves duplo.

Oh, he's nearly 6 but has loved those things since 4 and is a very young 5/6. Also trampoline. Best purchase ever grin

FixItUpChappie Sat 08-Jul-17 23:33:16

My 4 yr old got a Playmobil fire truck for Christmas - huge hit.

Misty9 Sat 08-Jul-17 23:46:28

Ooh I forgot we've got the fire engine too! Though ungrateful ds has badgered me for the one with a ladder rig ever since... hmm

craftsy Sun 09-Jul-17 12:56:23

Lego, Imaginext and Playskool Heroes.

Equimum Sat 29-Jul-17 21:27:45

Brio trainset
Games - Orchard Toys, Pop Up Pirate, Buckaroo, kerplunk etc.
Bug hunting hit (with bug vacuum)
Magformers
Transformers
Hot Wheels

He also lives junk modelling, and is happy with some boxes, a reel of tape, some scissors and PVA glue

Equimum Sat 29-Jul-17 21:29:39

Oh, I meant to add, that although Playmobil is always highly regarded on here, we haven't found it great for this age group. The bigger structures (e.g. Fire station) tend to fall apart really easily and DS tends to lose/ get frustrated with all the tiny bit. I think it's appeal will really depend on your child.

venys Sat 29-Jul-17 21:40:27

Went through a phase of Thunderbirds toys recently, likes his balance bike, wobbel board, stupid little things like an led fan that had m&ms in it, trampoline and the baby's toys hmm

Justgivemesomepeace Sat 29-Jul-17 21:48:58

Anything he can build! Lego , the junior sets are great, K'nex, hex bugs were great- loves building the tracks, Thomas the tank trackmaster train sets, his farm (he just builds it and leaves it😡). Dinosaurs, jigsaw and craft stuff.

MsPassepartout Sat 29-Jul-17 21:56:53

Wooden train set
Lego
Bike / scooter
Simple board games

wobblywonderwoman Thu 03-Aug-17 23:24:03

I am getting mine the paw patrol lookout and vehicles

He loves Lego, wooden train, dressing up (police etc), mini kitchen, helicopter, fire truck, tool set, fairies, books, dinosaurs.

Other ideas I have in mind are the paw patroller and remote control cars, a large crane

DodgyGround Thu 03-Aug-17 23:34:03

I had one boy who loved trains and cars at that age, and would sit for hours making railway tracks and lining up cars.

My second child wasn't in the slightest bit interested in cars or trains! He preferred animals and superheroes and whatever is trendy (miles from tomorrow, Spider-Man, batman, minions) and he will make all kinds of games up mixing them around.

You're going to know best what would suit him. Maybe take him to the toy shop and see what grabs his eye?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now