Talk

Advanced search

Under the sea/nautical/beach themed decorations

(17 Posts)
MarklahMarklah Mon 08-May-17 16:42:07

Yes, before I get started, I know I am a sad git.

I have a theme for my tree every year. This year, it's the above. Anything to do with the sea or beach. I've got some pastel coloured baubles, and a number of clear glass (bubble effect) and pearl ones. What I'm trying to find are ornaments I can put on the tree in the shape of dolphins, coral, sea urchins, sea horses, whales, starfish or shells.
Preferably some that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I've got a couple of mermaids that I picked up from the bathroom section in Primark (£1 each), so anything along those lines would work too.

Colours are soft shimmery pastel but I am not adverse to a few brighter elements.

Anyone know anywhere I can look? Online is only showing my glass things at £10 a pop.

NorthumbrianGirl Tue 09-May-17 11:23:51

How about getting a bag of large shells from baker ross and gluing loops on? Could also decorate them with glitter if you're that way inclined.

Talking about Xmas decorations in May is not sad, it is delightful.

AmyAmoeba Mon 15-May-17 06:57:49

Lovely theme!
Aquarium gift shops often have small figurines and pencil toppers that can become Christmas decorations with a loop of silver string and a dab of hot glue.
A clear shimmer spray, or a dusting of pearlescent powder will give it more oomph.
Look for clear plastic baubles in craft shops, if you don't mind plastic instead of glass, and you should be able to buy them by the pack.
I've bought large glass baubles in heatons a couple of years back that were about £2 ea, but that was much closer to Christmas. I can't remember if they were plain or I just opened them myself (the top often pops off easily)
I got pearl necklaces and bracelets in primark one year and strung them on fishing line, spaced out and in random clusters. They are very pretty on my tree, and would fit a nautical theme well.
I don't think I've ever been to a holiday resort that didn't sell pretty shell necklaces that could be restrung into garlands! Does your budget extend to booking a sun holiday? That would be true Christmas dedication !

BiddyPop Mon 15-May-17 12:45:47

Do you live, or are you likely to be, near the sea before Christmas? So able to pick up some nice shells or ground glass that you can wash and hang?

What about nursery places for those types of themed decorations for kids bedrooms? Or look out for nautical themes for summer decorations in homewares stores about now.

Could you get lovely colourful pictures from the web and print those on good card, cutting carefully out and hanging? Perhaps even using those as a base to build up using papier mache, sand (perhaps coloured with paint/food colouring/ink), or driftwood/smooth pebbles?

Rivers or lakes could sometimes also give those smooth pebbles, driftwood or similar to the seashore, even if not the shells. So if you are out and about over the summer or autumn, keep an eye out.

Pastel paper to make paper chains could be nice, you could have looped ones for DCs (if available) to stick together with tape/pritt stick themselves if you leave the strips cut in a box for them to use, or you could make more complicated ones yourself like thinner strips plaited. Or use pastel coloured yarns or embroidery threads.

Do you do crafts? Can you cross-stitch or knit or crochet or sew stuffed items? I have found lovely free patterns for small nautical images online before for cross-stitching (long time ago now so I have no idea where they were, but if you google there probably are still lots of sites). I know I've seen crocheted coral reefs before which look really cool.

And in fact, craft shops may well have lots of inspiration, or even items that would work well as tree decorations, particularly at this time of year as it is a time when people would do nautical themes for cards/crafts/seasonal decorating - it might be harder to find them in the depths of winter.

Dothbutternoparsnips Tue 16-May-17 07:00:49

I'm by the sea and can collect you little bits of driftwood/shells if you want?

MarklahMarklah Tue 16-May-17 18:47:10

That's really kind Dothbutter. At the moment I'm aiming for synthetics as I've a fairly heavy-handed child in the house. I put all the glass stuff at the top of the tree (out of reach) and all the plastic stuff at the bottom.

Biddy thanks, yes, nursery places could be good. I'm not too keen on taking pebbles and shells away from beaches but I probably have some lurking at home.

Amy - aquarium supplies might work - I am really hankering after some sparkly seahorses and sea urchins. They may have some. Next time we go to our local big garden centre I'll take a look. I can also check out Primark and our local charity shops for pearl necklaces.

Northumbrian if all else fails, a bag of shells it'll be!

Last year I did a woodland theme and was really pleased with how it turned out. The place I usually buy things from started their sale on Boxing Day so I bought a load of bits to add to that tree and to start this years' off.

I'm also thinking that somewhere like hobbycraft might have something that I can make use of.

MarklahMarklah Tue 16-May-17 18:47:43

DH has bought me a glass whale ornament! smile

Dothbutternoparsnips Tue 16-May-17 19:37:04

No problems if you change you're mind let me know. I love a bit of beach combing!

RebelRogue Tue 16-May-17 19:42:17

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151364486872&globalID=EBAY-GB

RebelRogue Tue 16-May-17 19:43:10

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=142340275453&globalID=EBAY-GB

RebelRogue Tue 16-May-17 19:50:27

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=182374327492&globalID=EBAY-GB

I'll stop now grin

Dothbutternoparsnips Tue 16-May-17 21:16:08

Your. The shame.

FaFoutis Tue 16-May-17 21:20:51

TK Maxx have strings of shells in at the moment.

MarklahMarklah Tue 16-May-17 22:34:00

I really like this but it's far too pricey. If it were £4 or £5 then I might crack.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOODEN-SEAHORSE-NAUTICAL-CHIC-BUNTING-GARLAND-HOME-DECORATION-GISELA-GRAHAM-/302286325895?hash=item4661ab4887:g:A3kAAOSw53NY9LvJ

MarklahMarklah Tue 16-May-17 22:36:22

Oh, and this is lovely, but way too costly!
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-and-Pink-Sea-Urchin-Shell-Glass-Encrusted-Christmas-Holiday-Ornament-/302285804934?hash=item4661a35586:g:Cv4AAOSwHHFY8~or

NorthumbrianGirl Sat 20-May-17 12:36:17

I just came across these and thought of this thread - sea shell fairy lights.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00TFDU5HG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495280106&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=shell+fairy+lights&dpPl=1&dpID=41yZPwEVSNL&ref=plSrch&tag=mumsnetforum-21

Alexandra87 Sat 20-May-17 12:38:26

The range has a lot of this sort of thing in. I'm thinking about doing my bedroom this theme

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now