Talk

Advanced search

Help with Christmas 2017?

(9 Posts)
user1482858756 Tue 27-Dec-16 17:45:02

Hello

I've been lurking on the Christmas forum since November and got some really good tips for Christmas just gone (thanks for that).

I really want to preplan for next Christmas now and get some gifts bought that I can store away in a large plastic storage container (with a lid) but I'm not really sure where to start or what would be the best things to buy.

I've tons of the essentials left over, things like wrapping paper and gift bags so I wasn't thinking of buying any more.

I buy for a lot of people, my 10 children, sons/daughters in law and my 13 grandchildren and it's non negotiable. I can't imagine not giving them presents at Christmas.

3 of my children have no children of their own so they spend Christmas with me and I buy a lot more for them than I do for my married children, typically I spend around £70 each on my married children (extra of course on their partners and children) and about £300 each on my 3 youngest.

Should I start buying gifts to put away for my married children and their families or should I start with my youngest 3 first? I've had a look through my finances and I can comfortably afford to spend about £100 a month on gifts to put away. I could increase this amount in April after I've finished saving for an Easter holiday.

I would prefer to actually buy something every month as opposed to saving the £100 up because at least if I have the gifts bought I won't be able to spend the money on something else.

I would like December 2017 to cost me nothing (other than food) so if anyone has any tips I would be glad to hear them.

flapjackfairy Tue 27-Dec-16 18:23:03

I always get ahead now and buy stocking fillers etc in sales or larger gifts if i see something someone will like. Make a list as you go and then around sept have a good look at your list and fill in the gaps. You can keep most things except edibles from one xmas to another so you can stock up on smellies ,candles , pot pouri etc and it will be fine. I always spread the cost and buy throughout the year in the sales and if you wrap as you buy it makes dec a lot less stressful.
Why dont you join us on the countdown to christmas 2017 thread as you will find lots of great tips on there .

glentherednosedbattleostrich Tue 27-Dec-16 18:30:50

You need a Christmas spreadsheet.

List the people you buy for, ideas of what they'd like and budget. Keep an eye on the bargain thread too, I save an absolute fortune.

If you buy from Amazon start a wish list for each person and as you see things, pop them in there and buy something every so often.

As you buy, update the spreadsheet.

From September add 1 thing per week to your Christmas food box, things with a long shelf life obviously, like nuts and beetroot, pickles condaments etc.

Buy things like crackers, napkins disposable bits now and store them too if you have space, ditto cards.

ChocolateStarBiscuits Tue 27-Dec-16 20:21:53

I can't give lots of advice on pre planning, but as a daughter (and DIL) - I wouldn't expect so much spent on me! I'd be happy with something small that I need or would enjoy.

bearsnumberonefan Wed 28-Dec-16 10:07:57

Start a list of what people may like. I'm pretty certain my eldest 2 sons will still be obsessed with superheros next December so if I spy a Spider-Man or batman clothes in the sales in the next size up then I'll pick it up now. We will be going to Florida in 2018 so we are also looking to buy suitcases for next Christmas so we can keep our eyes peeled for some bargains.
Join the Christmas countdown and bargain threads as well, they have been amazing this year

LunaLoveg00d Wed 28-Dec-16 10:17:36

28th December and people are talking about planning 2017 and fecking spreadsheets.

SHOOT ME NOW

user1482858756 Wed 28-Dec-16 10:54:53

Thanks everyone for the tips. I made a spreadsheet last night (brilliant idea) and I've downloaded a gift list app onto my phone (going to work on it later).

I have loads of ideas already for what gifts everyone might like, so I will shop around and I've signed up this morning to a cash back site.

Just one question, is it OK to buy clothing gifts like socks, underwear, jumpers etc? I've seen some great bargains and that stuff would be the type of gifts I'd buy my sons for birthdays/Christmas, I'm just concerned about how well they'd keep, I wouldn't want them getting mouldy.

I will add something food related to my list every week from September (thanks for the tip) and I will buy crackers and napkins in the January sales now.

I know no one expects gifts but I like to give gifts, I would feel bad if I stopped buying Christmas presents so I figured planning ahead would make it less of a burden financially.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

flapjackfairy Wed 28-Dec-16 12:56:51

Yes to all clothing no problem at all though obviously cant be exchanged if wrong size . Sainsburys have xmas napkins for 60p at the mo .

Princesspinkgirl Wed 28-Dec-16 16:39:12

I intend to do pre paid cards for shops to save up through the year and supermarket food stamps or similar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now