Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The Christmas Sandwich...its just THE BEST, isn't it?

(35 Posts)
OhStuffingBalls Mon 26-Dec-16 14:10:14

This is the best bit of Christmas for me grin.

I'm just sitting down reclining on the sofa to a big fat Christmas sarnie. Soft white bloomer, proper butter, spiced apple chutney, turkey, ham, three types of stuffing and some sliced up pigs in blankets + a cheeky roast parsnip. And a big glass of red wine.

Aaaaah...this is the life grin

SecondsLeft Mon 26-Dec-16 14:13:56

Cold turkey, roasties, rocket, mayo and cranberry sauce. Followed by chocolate yule log.

Love observing how each family member constructs their favourite leftovers. Totally agree, the best.

Lilaclily Mon 26-Dec-16 14:15:20

Followed by Christmas cake, Stilton, glass of Port, three million celebrations and finally some Rennie, I love Xmas me fgrin

MrsHathaway Mon 26-Dec-16 14:17:24

Leftovers are better than the actual Christmas dinner: fact.

I've been spoilt this year because the bakery round the corner does a roast turkey carvery bap all year round: fresh sliced crown with stuffing, cranberry and/or apple sauce, and piles of fried onions. Beautiful.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 26-Dec-16 14:19:14

cold turkey and ham,

a splidge of gravy on one bit of bread,
a splidge of cranberry on the other.
a swodge of bread sauce between the meat.
a sprinkle of salt, and if there is any left then a hint of cheesy leek.

a little mayo on the side of the plate to dip the cold roasties in.

mylittlephoney Mon 26-Dec-16 14:20:22

We've done This ever since friends did the one with Ross's sandwich. Sometimes we even add the gravey soaked middle slice of bread. Yum. Enjoy. I wish I could have a glass of wine but I'm working this evening. Have a happy boxing day all smile

OhStuffingBalls Mon 26-Dec-16 14:28:03

I love hearing about other people's Christmas sandwiches. What is wrong with me? Greedy saddo, me! grin

Fried onions <drool>...splodge of gravy <double drool>

I am noting this down and might go in for round two a bit later...

Rosa Mon 26-Dec-16 14:29:59

Dh put turkey in outside porch ..On china plate and on top of the washing machine. ( its about 2 degrees) He also put the washing machine on. turkey under a smashed plate no chance of saving it as the plate smashed into a million bits. I am gutted and very pissed off. We live abroad and it cost me a bloody fortune plus I had the next few days menus sorted starting with today.

MrsHathaway Mon 26-Dec-16 14:30:35

Honestly fried onions though. All black and sticky on the edges.

Frankly I'm disappointed that I didn't do a dish to go with our Christmas dinner yesterday. We've done roasted baby onions and quartered red onions with a roast dinner before and they really add something. The same kind of sweetness as roasted parsnips but different texture.

MrsHathaway Mon 26-Dec-16 14:31:16

Crossed with you, Rosa.

Am appalled.

badhotfanny Mon 26-Dec-16 14:34:02

Brown bread, real butter, turkey, stuffing, pigs in blankets, salt, cranberry sauce, cooked cold sprouts and carrots. A glass of prosecco.

Better than yesterday's lunch.

NotTodaySatan Mon 26-Dec-16 14:34:30

Have just eaten mine.

Soft Nutty Krust bread.

Mayo on one slice, cranberry sauce on the other.

Turkey, coke ham and my homemade super buttery sage +onion stuffing. Dollops of gravy on top.

Served with a brew in my new Xmas present mug.

HEAVEN!!!!!!!

OhStuffingBalls Mon 26-Dec-16 14:34:48

Oh NO! sad Rosa. ...eek...
Your DH sorting the takeaways tonight, then? grin

Fried onions are divine. Never thought of them with a roast before, but it totally makes sense! Yum.

badhotfanny Mon 26-Dec-16 14:35:15

Tomorrow's plan is white bread, real butter, rare roast beef, tons of hot horseradish. Nothing more required.

OccasionalNachos Mon 26-Dec-16 14:36:56

Just polished off ours too! Thick white bread, turkey, ham, stuffing, Brie & cranberry sauce. Mince pies or Xmas cake & a mug of tea. Listening to Storm Conor battering the windows. Bliss.

Cagliostro Mon 26-Dec-16 14:38:22

Hell YES. For me it's turkey (although not this year as we have none left, we got a crown for when we had the family round) pigs in blankets and stuffing, in a part baked roll with mayo on one side and cranberry sauce on the other.

OccasionalNachos Mon 26-Dec-16 14:40:47

Bloody hell I never considered mayo or gravy. Happily there's enough left for more tomorrow or later today

Wolfiefan Mon 26-Dec-16 14:41:38

Christmas sandwich. Probably the best meal ever.

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 26-Dec-16 15:49:37

Am at in-laws. FIL was in charge of Christmas dinner, and is now delighted he got the quantities "just right" so there is very little left over ...

Dinner was truly delicious, but I may have to do another roast when we get home just so I can make a decent sandwich.

wheatchief Mon 26-Dec-16 15:53:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BestIsWestofBedfordFalls Mon 26-Dec-16 16:10:55

Soft thin white bread, very thin slice of turkey, lots of butter and salted peanuts. Bliss.

franke Mon 26-Dec-16 16:17:18

I LIVE for this all year grin. I love xmas dinner, but I love leftovers more. Turkey, bread sauce, stuffing and cranberry all on decent white sliced. Yum!

HemanOrSheRa Mon 26-Dec-16 16:24:36

I've had a warm baguette today, stuffed with - Goosnargh chicken, home cooked ham, slices of stuffing, chopped up pigs in blankets, a couple of sprouts and a few chestnuts chopped and a slather of cranberry sauce. I heated up the leftover cauli cheese and a small bowl of gravy. Then I scooped and dunked and shovelled. It was delicious!

Notso Mon 26-Dec-16 16:28:18

I am more than a little bit gutted this year that everyone scoffed nearly everything. No pigs in blankets, no roast potatoes, no gravy and no stuffing.
Loads of turkey and ham but my sandwich will be lacking later not to mention my turkey and ham pie.

Oldraver Mon 26-Dec-16 17:54:04

We have a Fillet of beef and thee is always a chunk leftover.

We have a sort of buffet, mostly cheese, and some ready to bake rolls with a slice of fillet done it he frying pan for a minute or so

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now