Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What were your favourite Christmas moments that cost nothing?

(65 Posts)
throwingpebbles Mon 26-Dec-16 09:21:18

Just wondering, as there is so much pressure to spend in the build up to Christmas, but I had so many "favourite" moments this year that cost nothing...

The DC deciding to make up a Christmas story as they were all lying in bed too excited to sleep on Christmas Eve

Christingle and the walk back spotting Christmas lights

My step daughter sitting at the piano singing Christmas carols while my daughter gazed at her adoringly

My daughter (3) "playing" the piano and insisting that everyone danced

Baking mince pies and everyone making differing decorations for the top

what were yours?

KingLooieCatz Mon 26-Dec-16 10:37:00

Post swimming Christmas Eve we went to a cafe for lunch and there was a lady playing Christmas carols on a harp, sounded beautiful obvs. She chatted to DS (8), let him have a wee go on the harp and did her best to take his requests although we settled for Jingle Bells rather than his fave Jingle Bell Rock.

We told DM and DD all about this on Christmas Day and DM printed the words for Jingle Bell Rock and DS and I sang it together while having a hug. DS completely out of tune but I think that memory will stay with me.

I did some carolling with a choir pre-Christmas. While we were singing near a bus stop a bus pulled up and we could see the top deck looking down and listening. One passenger opened the window so he could hear better, then closed when the bus pulled away. We weren't collecting, just singing.

Mrsmadevans Mon 26-Dec-16 10:38:37

Having my daughter safely home in the bosom of her family after a long time away from home

DownWithThisSortaThing Mon 26-Dec-16 10:41:26

DS (2) taking my cousins little dog for a walk around the garden. And stopping and waiting patiently to let the dog sniff around. It was the cutest thing ever!

ParadiseCity Mon 26-Dec-16 10:41:47

Awww this is lovely.

Reading Facebook status of family who's child has been v poorly but is on the mend.

And hearing DC apologise to each other after minor squabble without being told.

Elllicam Mon 26-Dec-16 10:42:30

Putting magic dust (oats) on the lawn with the toddlers and the next morning watching all the magpies and pidgeons eating them.

Christmassnake Mon 26-Dec-16 10:42:51

We had a bit of upset over one child being bought an extremely Expensive present and the others getting £50 cash....( not by parents)...( I did explain on a different thread) anyway it could of ruined the day....but my wonderful kids brushed it off and we spent the afternoon playing a old batted game of monopoly,was the best part of the day,and goes to prove money does not buy happiness

Lilicat1013 Mon 26-Dec-16 10:45:40

We haven't have family round for Christmas yet, that will be today so I only have ones with the children. To explain some of the stories a little better both children are autistic with other additional needs, so we tend to have different expectations and experiences than most families. The older of the two is six and the younger is three

My DS1 loved the reindeer at the garden centre, he touched them and even feed them when the woman caring for them offered him some food to give them. Last year he would have loved to see them but refused to touch them.

My DS2 has been absolutely overjoyed with Christmas trees and lights, it makes him so happy to see them so we have lots of photos of him admiring Christmas trees in various places. A favourite is the one in Asda.

We made a gingerbread house with friends and it was so much fun, both boys engaged with it in their own way and enjoyed it. It turned out a disaster of course but it was a fun disaster!

We made a last minute decision to make some Father Christmas foot prints after seeing them on Facebook, they were pretty rubbish and we mostly made a mess with talcum powder. DS1 was over joyed though, he kept showing me and saying 'foot prints'. When he went to bed he brought me over to see the foot prints again, I asked who made them and he said his own name and added a hooray. So he doesn't quite understand they are Father Christmas footprints but was really pleased anyway.

My DS2 is currently watching Disney Planes, like actually watching it paying attention and taking an interest.

sunnyeyes Mon 26-Dec-16 10:46:12

Playing monopoly with the adults whilst all the kids of varying ages played nicely together😊

CiderwithBuda Mon 26-Dec-16 10:47:55

DS falling asleep on the sofa last night with his feet draped over me and I was able to cuddle him. He semi woke up at one point and just smiled at me rubbing his back. To put it in perspective he is 15 and over 6ft and usually hates hugs! He has had a rough month with daily migraines and we seem to be turning a corner and are hopefully breaking the cycle.

ifigoup Mon 26-Dec-16 10:49:23

My teenage nephew opened a letter (which had arrived a few days before and been put away by his parents, who already knew what it said) telling him he's been selected to try out for the regional team for his sport (one level below playing for the country). He was so excited and overwhelmed that he burst into tears and couldn't speak for about five minutes. It was lovely.

smEGGnogg Mon 26-Dec-16 10:50:47

Dh and I slow dancing around the dining table to Christmas music.

SureStartRedemption Mon 26-Dec-16 10:55:28

Dd and MIL sharing a book. Both laughing away cuddled up together. Dd has had a tough year and it was great to see her completely relaxed and happy.

throwingpebbles Mon 26-Dec-16 10:57:11

Oooh I've remembered another one, my Dd(3) telling everyone to go away because "I talking to him!!" (Points at my dad). Apparently they were having a very serious conversation about her packet of Haribo grin

Itsabeautifuldaytosavelives Mon 26-Dec-16 11:09:07

Taking DD to her first christingle service and seeing her wee face light up at the candles and all the other children and her own wee christingle. She was born just before last Christmas and it just felt really special because we missed last years. Cried my way through away in a manger watching her!

Nishky Mon 26-Dec-16 11:13:37

Playing charades whilst me, Dh and two teenagers sat on our bed. It was 6 am and we had just opened our stockings!

MTWTFSS Mon 26-Dec-16 20:40:28

Watching The Snowman and the snowdog cuddling my 2 boys smile

Bobsmum02 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:45:21

Ds(2) singing Rudolph the red nose reindeer, jingle bell rock and Santa Claus is coming to town from the back of the car!

AndShesGone Mon 26-Dec-16 20:47:56

Well it cost 99p

My puppy unwrapping a squeaky toy as her present. Mass excitement and craziness - totally adorable.

Pikmin Mon 26-Dec-16 20:55:48

My sister was outside the front door to get some quiet on the phone with dad, & I wore something silly, opened the door for a couple of seconds & closed it again. She collapsed laughing & couldn't explain without setting off again. She also tried a chilli sauce & tried to pretend she was fine while going red as a berry.

goodiegoodieyumyum Mon 26-Dec-16 20:58:16

My daughter taking part in the nativity at church, speaking perfect German clear and loud, 2 months ago she refused to even think about doing it because her German is not good enough, I couldn't believe it when she told me she was playing a Shepherd but had wanted to play Mary. We have only lived in Germany a year this week.

meringue33 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:58:48

"Flying" the baby around during "Walking in the Air"... unfortunately the 4yo wanted to do it too and is very heavy! 😂

nicknamehelp Mon 26-Dec-16 21:10:57

My ds 12 who isnt v affectionate cuddling up to me and falling asleep. Melted my heart x

00100001 Mon 26-Dec-16 21:19:59

Playing "Who Am I" at dinner and Dad proclaiming loudly "i'm Kylie Minogue!" (you had to be there, I guess?!)

DM pretending her parsnips were walrus teeth

Giggling with DSis during church when sing "oh, star of wonder" because everyone started the 'star' bit at different times.

Getting TWO goodbye hugs and kisses from DNephew(5)

Ibelieve123 Mon 26-Dec-16 21:25:22

The kids around the table decorating biscuits singing Christmas songs
On Christmas day playing charade & my youngest son desperate to win whispering the answers to his team mate. It was very funny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now