Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any presents not lived up to expectations?

(23 Posts)
DailyMailDontStealMyThread Sun 25-Dec-16 20:28:53

Kerplunk, when did that turn into a rubbish game? No marbles, only rubbish light plastic balls.

Cagliostro Sun 25-Dec-16 20:38:50

Oh I had the same with the ELC marble run a few years ago! Utter pisstake that was, helloooo, it's a MARBLE run. Yes I'm still bitter. OTOH we upgraded the marble run this year and the new one has proper marbles.

I'm a little sad about the thunderbirds chess set as the pieces aren't as heavy/high quality as I thought but DH and DS are happy with it. Still a vast improvement on the über cheap (like £4!) starter set DS has been using!

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Sun 25-Dec-16 21:15:54

I got a little bag of marbles in my cracker and added them to the piss poor plastic balls.

Cagliostro Sun 25-Dec-16 21:20:15

Yes I think we did the same that year too!

I also was a little disappointed with the shrinkles - but not sure if it was our oven that had the issue. They hardened before they went flat! fsad

Ekorre Sun 25-Dec-16 22:01:27

Spy writing kit and the ink in both pens had completely dried up. Obv I was more disappointed than ds.

ImprovingMyMH Sun 25-Dec-16 22:12:33

Ekkore, I had exactly the same problem with those pens last year.

ImprovingMyMH Sun 25-Dec-16 22:13:18

Sorry, Ekorre.

Ekorre Mon 26-Dec-16 14:47:52

Improving, from Hawkins Bazaar? I'm annoyed as ds is a very reluctant writer so I hoped this would encourage him.

SVJAA Mon 26-Dec-16 14:49:22

One half of DS1s scalextrix doesn't work. It's the only thing he asked for and he's gutted but putting a brave face on.

ImprovingMyMH Mon 26-Dec-16 18:03:41

Ekorre, ours were from John Lewis, but they were ones that I've seen for sale on Amazon etc. There were two in the pack, a red and a blue one.

WeAllHaveWings Tue 27-Dec-16 18:01:57

Exploding kittens card game, had good reviews but found it boring as hell.

BoboBunnyH0p Tue 27-Dec-16 18:08:15

Must have changed ker-plunk on the last couple of years because ours has marbles.
Disappointed in the Thomas minis motorised raceway which was faulty, easily changed on boxing day but think it'd pretty naf. But my DS loves it so that's the main thing.

northernmonkey1010 Tue 27-Dec-16 19:05:35

Any updates on hatchimals? Did they live up to the hype?

smellylittleorange Tue 27-Dec-16 19:42:51

Weallhavewings same here. And some of the cards were printed up wrong...sure I read how brilliant it was on here

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Wed 28-Dec-16 12:50:11

Our hatchimal is a strong favourite here. DD likes that it walks and responds when she throuws it in the air.

A friend has had a lot of problems with theirs, taking over 2 hrs to hatch etc

FoxInABox Wed 28-Dec-16 12:56:36

Hatchimal is very much loved here- 6yo DDs favourite toy in fact. I was worried after the negative reviews but she loves it.

Cagliostro Wed 28-Dec-16 13:31:05

Interesting about exploding kittens (weird sentence right there!) - I had considered the NSFW version for my (adult!) DSCs but changed in favour of other games, glad I did now. I think I'll see if I can actually play it somewhere first

Dd brightlings doll didn't work and ds gaming chair won't connect to the ps4. But the hatchimals went down a storm. Dd age 5 and her brothers 11 and 12 loved watching it hatch. Dd has been treating it like a real life animal ever since. Lots of fun

Howmanysleepstilchristmas Wed 28-Dec-16 15:48:38

The hatchimal is my 4yo ds favourite too. He adores it even more since it hatched.

Saukko Wed 28-Dec-16 16:38:16

huh, we've enjoyed Exploding Kittens, not too hard to pick up, an element of tactics involved... considering getting the expansion.

We got a beautiful Ludo set because I remembered it as a pleasant children's game, but instead it's a massive pain in the arse. You can't even start playing until you've rolled a 6, so good luck kids, you might still be sitting there 20 minutes from now unable to play because you haven't rolled a 6 yet. Then you can be bumped off the board back to the beginning - enjoy, kids, all your progress lost. After 40 minutes none of us had managed to make it around half the board due to near-constant bumping's off. After 45 minutes of epic tedium I ended the game and said we weren't playing again without incorporating some family rules... like none of that 6 bollocks for starters.

TrickyD Wed 28-Dec-16 18:29:38

We had Exploding Kittens last Christmas, thanks to enthusiastic MNetters, but didn't take to it at all, played twice abandoned.

On a cheerful note, DS2 gave us a laser light projector which adorns the outside of our house with flashing green and red spots. It's sensational and has turned our house into Chav Central.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sun 01-Jan-17 18:42:11

Most of dd's gifts were a success this year, no massive disappointments.

Just a few cheap add on bits,
the pack it jackets - the zips are broken after a few wears so will be taking back tomorrow.
Pop pop pinata - total pile of crap

AndWhat Sun 01-Jan-17 18:56:17

Mickey Mouse fire station was missing instructions and stickers confused
Managed to put it together using the picture on the front but have emailed the company to ask if they could send me the stickers to put on the station

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now