Talk

Advanced search

Aldi frozen turkey - smells dodgy

(7 Posts)
shaggedthruahedgebackwards Sun 25-Dec-16 11:29:45

I've never had a frozen turkey before, usually get a fresh one from local butcher but forgot to order one this year so opted for one of the frozen Aldi ones

I look it out of the freezer of Fri am so it would have a full 48 hours to properly defrost (in porch so still cool)

When I took it out of the plastic wrapping there was definitely a strange odour, DH noticed it too. DM & DF insisted it was fine so it went in the oven and I'll be making sure it is very well cooked!

Anyone else buy an Aldi turkey this year?

FireflyGirl Sun 25-Dec-16 11:47:44

Often, meat that has been wrapped in plastic smells a bit funny when you open it - like bad farts fenvy

There's a difference between this and off meat. If your DM and DF said it's fine, and you trust their judgment, then I'd go with it.

FYI we had a frozen turkey once that was off when it defrosted - it stank the house out! DM made a mad dash to Asda Christmas Eve, who said they'd had a bad batch. Cue her trying to defrost two frozen chickens in the bath overnight!

PinkSwimGoggles Sun 25-Dec-16 11:51:45

meat often smells 'farty' due to gases that are used to stop the meat from going off. the smell should go away after 10 min or so.

delilahbucket Sun 25-Dec-16 12:23:06

I always find this with my turkey, and it comes fresh from the butcher. Always been ok though.

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Sun 25-Dec-16 12:33:08

Thanks all, I feel somewhat reassured!

It smells fine now it's been in the oven a while

danTDM Sun 25-Dec-16 12:40:48

my fresh turkey smells a bit too, now it's un wrapped. It is very 'meaty' smell. I am presuming it's fine!

gunting Sun 25-Dec-16 13:23:06

This happens with chicken too. Bit of a gassy smell but it wafts away after you open the packaging and the meat is fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now