Talk

Advanced search

How do I cook the turkey?! Picture 🤢

(12 Posts)
Hatade16 Sat 24-Dec-16 21:30:27

Sooo we decided to buy a turkey crown from a local farm shop..

It doesn't look what I thought it would look like 🤢🤢 i had to ask them to remove the wings..

How the hell do I cook it?? It has hair!! When I picked it up a bag of giblets fell out 🤢🤢🤢🤢

RubyWinterstorm Sat 24-Dec-16 21:34:21

Google?

I learned how to butterfly a chicken from google

Helenluvsrob Sat 24-Dec-16 21:36:43

Why did you ask them to remove the wings ?

Just pop bacon on the breadth top with foil and shove it I. The oven. The giblets are to make the gravy.

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 24-Dec-16 21:39:09

I roughly do this but without all the stuffing.

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/turkey-recipes/the-best-roast-turkey-christmas-or-any-time/

Put the giblets plus a halved onion and chopped carrot in the base of the tray. Pop the turkey on top - I usually stick some butter between the meat and the skin but that depends how squeamish you are about squeezing your hand in there.

i rub with salt, pepper and olive oil and pop a halved clementine in the cavity.

Cover with foil and put in a hot oven (usually I heat mine to about 220) then turn down the heat to about 180 and cook for however long it tells you by the weight and remove the foil for about the last half hour - bast it roughly every 20 minutes throughout the cooking time.

Hatade16 Sat 24-Dec-16 21:39:57

Because I can't cope with meat on a bone,. I assumed a crown wouldn't have the wings 😷 No one in our family will eat them.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 24-Dec-16 21:57:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 24-Dec-16 21:57:03

You can't cope with meat on a bone?! Where the jeff do you think it comes from??

Hatade16 Sat 24-Dec-16 22:01:20

I can't eat it straight off the bone, like KFC etc. But if someone takes it off for me I'm fine. Choked on a bone as a child and it terrifies me.

Anyway, why is my turkey crown all open?! Iv just googled it and none are like this??

Helenluvsrob Sat 24-Dec-16 22:05:48

Goodness. So much angst about this turkey - in the nicest possible way pull yourself together and chick if in the oven tomorrow. It looks fine. The bum end always has a big hole where the innards were. Just depends how much rubbish skin has been trimmed off as to how it looks.

pklme Sat 24-Dec-16 22:33:30

I think it's because the backbone is still on. I would expect it to be cut free down the side, so the bottom half of the carcasse is gone (and used to make gravy). A chicken is easy to do with kitchen scissors, I have no idea about a turkey.

pklme Sat 24-Dec-16 22:33:59

Google "cutting the crown off a whole turkey", see if it helps.

PickAChew Sat 24-Dec-16 22:44:59

Leave the backbone on. It'll carve just the same as a crown that is just breast, but with more bones will make better gravy.

It it on a bed of chopped (1" pieces at smallest) onion, carrot celery and leek, if you have it, with the neck and heart out of the giblets. Salt and pepper and rub with butter or oil (and streaky bacon laid over the top of it is good as it protects it), pour about a mug of boiling water onto the veg and giblets and roast away - you can look up the timings for your particular type of oven yourself.

If you don't use the strained juices from the roasting tin to make gravy on the day, you can always make soup with them or freeze them to use another time.

Take it out of the oven at least 30-40 minutes before serving, which gives you time to do stuff with the meat and juices. If you're anxious about bones, then carve it all before taking to the table into nice slices from each side of the breast.

Next year, order a boned stuffed breast, instead of a crown!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now