Talk

Advanced search

Help me settle a huge row about turkey

(31 Posts)
elevenswan Sat 24-Dec-16 19:19:36

Turkey was picked up at 11 this morning. Fresh not frozen. One half of the family says it should be left out (warmish house) all today and overnight so it comes down to room temperature and so that the stuffing expands properly. Other half says you're not supposed to leave raw turkey out of the fridge for more than 2 hours and leaving it out overnight could give you food poisoning.

Who's right? I'm very firmly on team food poisoning but they're accusing me of being dramatic and say I'm catastrophising due to my anxiety. They say 'we've never had food poisoning before', I say that's cos you've been bloody lucky!

MrsGsnow18 Sat 24-Dec-16 19:21:43

I wouldn't leave it out in a warm house, it seems very unnecessary and unhygienic to me!
If cooked thoroughly I'm not sure if it would still cause food poisoning by why take the risk! Keep it in the fridge!

StealthPolarBear Sat 24-Dec-16 19:22:51

I'm on team food poisoning. Of course you put raw meat on the fridge!

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 24-Dec-16 19:23:54

You are right.

And the NHS agrees with you
www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthychristmas/Pages/cooking-turkey.aspx

Grumpyoldblonde Sat 24-Dec-16 19:24:10

No fridge and out for an hour before oven.

OutDamnedWind Sat 24-Dec-16 19:24:38

Fresh I would definitely put in the fridge.

AntiQuitty Sat 24-Dec-16 19:25:12

Growing up we had to keep ours in the bath as nowhere else, we never got food poisoning but it's certainly not something I'd choose to do!

EvansOvalPies Sat 24-Dec-16 19:25:14

I collected our goose this morning, far too large for the fridge so it's in the shed. Cold enough, and safe from Mr Fox.

I wouldn't keep it in the kitchen overnight (unless you have an extremely cold kitchen).

KondosSecretJunkRoom Sat 24-Dec-16 19:25:24

Left out all day? envy <heave>

Can you chop her off a leg to fester?

HerodZackHunt Sat 24-Dec-16 19:27:33

When we collected our goose this morning they had a big sign up saying not to rely on leaving the bird in the garage overnight because the weather is mild. So they're on team botulism too.
Goosey is in the wine fridge in the garage.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 24-Dec-16 19:28:27

Oh, I was just about to post the same question. My kitchen is freezing but I think i'll just get mine out early in the morning.

Kittenrush Sat 24-Dec-16 19:29:48

Would they usually leave meat out for over 24 hours? I think not.
Tell them if they want to spend Boxing Day shitting through the eye of a needle then by all means.
(In addition I think it's really mean they've used your anxiety as an argument against you)

LeadPipe Sat 24-Dec-16 19:30:35

I agree with everyone - the fridge!

FurryDogMother Sat 24-Dec-16 19:33:23

Definitely the fridge, but take it out an hour before you plan to start cooking, so that it comes to room temperature and the cooking times will be accurate.

therootoftheroot Sat 24-Dec-16 19:35:32

in the fridge but get up early and take it out to allow it to come to room temp before cooking

StubbleTurnips Sat 24-Dec-16 19:36:14

I'm on team food poisoning here, plus the spaniel has unreliable character around the temptation of turkey!

EvansOvalPies Sat 24-Dec-16 19:42:55

Elevenswan - you are most definitely not catastrophizing. You can never be too careful about the possibility of food poisoning (Agree with Kittenrush that your family are being mean to you in that regard).

After reading HerodZack's post I panicked and went to check the temperature of our shed. I feel it is cold enough, and the goose came in a semi-insulated box, so feel happy. (Depends where in the country you are as to how cold your outbuildings may be). I still most definitely wouldn't leave it in the kitchen, though.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 24-Dec-16 19:44:03

I sometimes leave mine in my conservatory overnight but it's too mild today, mines in the fridge.

elevenswan Sat 24-Dec-16 20:13:01

I knew I was right! fgrin

museumum Sat 24-Dec-16 20:22:54

We would put it in the garage/shed but it's only 4deg here.

HerodZackHunt Sat 24-Dec-16 22:07:55

Evans sorry to have made you panic! A shed is probably a safer bet than the garage fsmile

plannedshock Sat 24-Dec-16 22:21:08

Mine is still frozen, I've left it on the side in the kitchen to defrost tonight...food poisoning odds?

harderandharder2breathe Sat 24-Dec-16 22:22:27

Team food poisoning here!

WellErrr Sat 24-Dec-16 22:26:08

I got my frozen one out last night and put it on the utility room side. No heating and it's fairly cold in there.
But worried about it tonight but it's extremely cold to the touch, as old as the chicken in the fridge, so out it stays.

Plus there's no room in the fridge anyway.

WellErrr Sat 24-Dec-16 22:26:32

*as cold as

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now