Talk

Advanced search

So, how do you actually cook a turkey (crown)?

(6 Posts)
HeadElf Sat 24-Dec-16 16:07:44

Just realised I've never cooked a turkey or turkey crown before.
I'm a vegetarian and first time Christmas host. I have a turkey crown in the fridge for my guess which says cook for 1hr45.

Do I put oil on/round it?
Do I just chuck it in the oven and take it out 1hr45mins later, or do I need to do things to it during cooking?

Help blush

Grumpyoldblonde Sat 24-Dec-16 16:13:30

Do you have bacon? Butter? Couple of hours in the oven, baste if no butter, check juices run clear after cooking. Wrap in foil, covery that with a clean tea towel and leave to rest while you get on the with potatoes etc.

HeadElf Sat 24-Dec-16 16:25:01

Butter, I have butter! Thank you. How long do I rest it?

FurryDogMother Sat 24-Dec-16 16:30:16

I'd rest it for anywhere between 20 and 40 mins, if I was busy doing other stuff - so long as it's in a warm place, it should stay hot if covered. It's not a precise science. I usually put my parboiled potatoes in the oven after the turkey comes out (they need a higher temperature), so when they're ready is when I serve the turkey. HTH!

Grumpyoldblonde Sat 24-Dec-16 16:42:42

Smother with butter. Cover in foil in oven and hour, remote foil. Back in oven. Check cooked through. Under foil and tea towels to rest. Up to an hour will be OK while you get on with everything else
You'll be fine.

Iamtheresurrection Sat 24-Dec-16 18:12:39

Ha ha head elf - you are me on a smaller scale. I was going by the packet but husband keeps saying chicken takes a lot less time and now I'm in a panic. Wouldn't mind if I ate it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now