Talk

Advanced search

Please help a Christmas dinner novice!

(5 Posts)
JesusDontWantMeForASunbeam Sat 24-Dec-16 11:13:39

What veg and bits can I prep today?

And how do I cook a turkey? Is it just like cooking a huge chicken?

I've not hosted before and i really want it to go well!

CaptainWarbeck Sat 24-Dec-16 11:19:16

I can help with roast potatoes...

Peel and chop into the size you want, then put into a pan with cold water to cover. Bring to the boil and once boiling, drain and shake off the water. Season the potatoes and shake in a bit of plain flour, then shake the pan well so the edges crumble a bit and they're well coated.

These will keep in the fridge overnight until you're ready to put in a roasting tin with hot fat in tomorrow. Roast for 40ish mins depending on the size, turning in the fat so all coated until crispy.

Nigel Slater recipe adapted for prep ahead smile

FrizzBombDelight Sat 24-Dec-16 11:22:06

Pretty much all the veg can be prepped today! And the stuffing and the stock/gravy.

hrfvenia Sat 24-Dec-16 11:23:38

I'm cooking my turkey today, got a crown (2.8kg) cooking on a bed of onions with streaky bacon wrapping the breasts to keep them moist.

I'm cooking today and carving and cooking today, then it can just be warmed in gravy tomorrow. I'm doing the same for the beef joint aswell once the turkeys done.

I've made my pigs in blankets, sprouts with bacon and onion and will be making my stuffing later on once I've stopped feeling sick.

Will also be peeling and par boiling the roasties.

Got a cheeseboard and nibbles for starter and a croquembouche (fancy profiteroles) for pudding so that's easy. SIL is making carrot and swede and mash.

I've never cooked a turkey before, first time tomorrow. Today I'll par boil potatoes and peel and prep all veg. I'll also prep the turkey and stuff it's neck cavity only.

Tomorrow I'll cook the turkey breast down until the last 45 minutes when I'll flip to brown. Wish me luck!!! Good luck for tomorrow and merry Xmas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now