Talk

Advanced search

So the duck I bought for dinner tonight is actually a goose!

(17 Posts)
Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Sat 24-Dec-16 09:51:54

I've never cooked a goose before, it's 3.2 kg, what are your tips?

Maverickismywingman Sat 24-Dec-16 09:52:44

No real tips for cooking it, but use the leftovers for soup stock and you won't regret it fgrin

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Sat 24-Dec-16 13:24:00

Thanks Maverick

LaundryQueenHatesIroning Sat 24-Dec-16 13:25:29

Excuse my ignorance and jumping on your thread but what is the difference?

Liiinoo Sat 24-Dec-16 13:48:25

You need to prick it all over before you roast it Put it on a trivet or crumpled up tin foil to raise it and then drain the fat that comes off it regularly. You will get a lot of fat! Keep it in a jar or plastic tub in the fridge and use it for making roasties for the next 6 months. Gorgeous.

There isn't a lot of meat on a goose, but you don't need a lot as it is very rich and the crispy skin is delicious. I want goose now.

miwelaisjacydo Sat 24-Dec-16 13:48:35

Treat it like a big duck. Honestly not much different.

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Sat 24-Dec-16 14:54:03

Thanks Liin I had pricked it and I also thought it didn't have a lot on the breast. It's in now so I'll let you know in a few hours how it goes. We'll be having a traditional English turkey roast tomorrow so I'll use some of the fat for the roasties.

carabos Sat 24-Dec-16 14:56:58

He's just a giant goose. There'll be surprisingly little meat on it. I use Nigel Slater's recipe for duck and adjust the timings. Prick it, cook it over a thick bed of winter veg, sprinkle with thyme. Plenty of seasoning and save the copious amounts of fat.

carabos Sat 24-Dec-16 14:57:15

A giant duck, I meant !

HerodZackHunt Sat 24-Dec-16 15:39:00

Roast it upside down and turn it the right way up about 40 mins before it comes out.
I'm doing goose tomorrow.

longdiling Sat 24-Dec-16 15:42:07

That sounds like the kind of mistake that could work out well! My husband has bought a joint of ready cooked ham instead of the uncooked gammon I wanted for dinner tonight. I am unreasonably pissed off. God know what we'd have ended up with if I sent him out for a duck or goose.

Allalonenow Sat 24-Dec-16 15:44:01

Have a clean jar/bowl ready to put the fat in to.

Allalonenow Sat 24-Dec-16 15:45:40

Ostrich longdiling fgrin

longdiling Sat 24-Dec-16 15:50:29

That would at least be interesting allalone, I reckon he'd probably get chicken nuggets.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 24-Dec-16 15:53:38

I love goose. Too late now but Gordon Ramsey has a recipe I use most years.

JennyWoodentop Sat 24-Dec-16 16:32:15

I used Delia Smith's recipe for goose with prunes in Armagnac for Christmas one year, it was lovely. She suggests putting the goose on a rack in the roasting tin, that allows you to drain off the fat easily. As others say there will be a lot of fat and surprisingly little meat.

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Sat 24-Dec-16 16:47:31

Thankfully I bought a new roasting tin with rack in Ikea for the duck, which fits the goose! 11 mins til it comes out to rest and I have to deal with Danish brown sauce (or gravy as we call it!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now