Talk

Advanced search

Cooking the ham and turkey

(5 Posts)
Stormystar Sat 24-Dec-16 08:14:53

Happy Christmas eve!! I'm thinking of cooking the ham this afternoon, any tips to make it a little bit more special? Is the coke method really worth it? also picking up my turkey this morning 10lb!! I was just thinking of smearing butter and putting some bacon on, but how long will It need to cook for? Can u tell it my first time hosting?!?!

Jay2188 Sat 24-Dec-16 08:33:16

Don't worry about coke with the ham, I'd trim some of the fat off the ham before cooking (some people leave it on for crackling). Just roast the ham in the oven glaze it with honey cooking time is dependant on size, mine usually about 3-4hours at about 180degrees C, get it out oven every hour or so to check and re-glaze with a pastry brush or something using the juices that are in the baking tray (if you feel you need more honey just put it on) let the ham rest for at least 10/20 minutes before cutting or serving... can't help with turkey can't stand it smile

Stormystar Sat 24-Dec-16 08:39:04

Sounds lovely with the honey, will do that! Thank you smile

Kirriemuir Sat 24-Dec-16 08:41:49

Someone linked a website last night with turkey timings. If you google cooking turkey I am sure it will come up. It was something like www.turkeycooking.co.uk.

siblingrevelryagain Sat 24-Dec-16 08:46:21

Place ham in large pan, cover with cold water, add an onion, bay leaves (3/4), peppercorns, bring to boil and slowly simmer according to weight and instructions on label (I did a 4 kilo one last night for 3 hours).

Remove the skin and leave a small layer of far behind. Score this, stud with cloves, sprinkle mustard powder over (pat it in to wet skin), and pour runny honey over. Bake in hot oven for 10/15 mins.

Looks like a lot of faff but really isn't, and gives moist, awesome ham.

Merry Xmas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now