Talk

Advanced search

How to make Xmas nice with little money

(16 Posts)
missxmas Fri 23-Dec-16 22:17:35

I want to make my dd Xmas special as she's had a really tough year. She's only 5 and although I have very little money I want to make Xmas day nice for her. She has a few presents but neither myself or my dd are concerned about opening lots of stuff we just want to have a nice day. I would love to hear your suggestions on how we can do that. We have some dinner sorted which I think she will enjoy. What sort of activities could you suggest we do to fill the day ?

StarsandSparkles Fri 23-Dec-16 22:18:40

What about a walk if the weather isnt too bad?

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Fri 23-Dec-16 22:20:00

good music, good tv, cosy - candles, warmth, sparkles....laughter - silly games, board games....walk..

Brighteyes27 Fri 23-Dec-16 22:24:09

Agree with Zevite's suggestions. Depends how old your DD is. We still like to snuggle in the sofa and watch a good film together. Just spending time together doing some or all of the above suggestions should be nice. Enjoy 🎄

missxmas Fri 23-Dec-16 22:26:41

Thank you I'm sure just being together all day will be lovely and we will hopefully go for a walk round the park.

siblingrevelryagain Fri 23-Dec-16 22:27:19

Either walk or drive out just as it's getting dark, maybe throw a special choc each in your pocket to munch along the way; the winner is the one who spots the most lights. Or, if walking, write little notes in advance-with a gold coin stuck to it?-thanking the best ones for their lights/wishing them merry Xmas.

I think frozen is on the telly; maybe you dress up/do nails/sing-along to make it special (or you have the rule that you have to get into Xmas pj's ready for movie afternoon, with popcorn)

amysmummy12345 Fri 23-Dec-16 22:27:38

Opening presents, choccy brekkie, a bubble bath and either into "best" clothes or pyjamas if staying in. Playing with toys, dinner, a film to shuffle up to, more playing, snacks for tea and bed 😊

amysmummy12345 Fri 23-Dec-16 22:28:42

Snuggle not snuffle ...

missxmas Fri 23-Dec-16 22:29:06

Sibling that's actually a lovely idea. Thank you

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 23-Dec-16 22:29:23

My DD is also 5 and, corny as it sounds, the best thing you can give her is your time. Do a jigsaw together, snuggle on the sofa with a blanket and hot chocolate, play a board game, draw some pictures, watch a Christmas film - Frozen is on BBC1.

Just have lots of fun & laughter. 5 is too young to care much for material things - they still want your time at this age. Enjoy fgrin.

aforestgrewandgrew Fri 23-Dec-16 22:38:09

I read a lovely thread a couple of years back where the mum was she was skint and decidee to ask her DC what they really wanted for Christmas dinner, instead if spending a fortune on turkey etc. They said something really random and cheap like fairy bread (white slices with butter and hundreds and thousands sprinkled on) and jelly or something like that.

She made it, kids thought it was the best thing ever.

DomesticDisgrace Fri 23-Dec-16 22:46:23

I could have written your post OP.

I've just booked tickets for a few local €10 pantos over the month of Jan (I know that isn't the day itself but it's an idea for lovely day out on little money)

Have you seen Moana? It's really good, DD loved it and we've had a ball all week singing along to the soundtrack (and The Trolls actually) if you can download those.

Like someone said above, time is what they really want at this age. We'll play DD's Orchard games, snakes and ladders, snap etc.
Make the skittles "magic rainbow" (y'know, a little saucer with skittles in a circle around it, add water and it turns into a multicoloured rainbow) - I only suggest this cos it's our Elfs little magic trick for the morning and I'm currently eating the remaining skittles blush

Nail painting, make pictures together, play school.

I hope you both have a lovely day!

Glittermakeseverythingbetter Fri 23-Dec-16 22:50:06

One of our traditions is to go out when it's dark and look at all the Christmas lights on the houses, which has been mentioned already. We do it every year and our girls always look forward to it.
I think most memorable things are free - putting a carrot out for the reindeer etc.

missxmas Fri 23-Dec-16 22:51:04

Thank you domestic I hope you have a lovely day too

siblingrevelryagain Wed 28-Dec-16 09:22:24

Hi missxmas-just wondering how your day went in the end? Hope it was a good one.

missxmas Wed 28-Dec-16 15:54:12

Hi yes it was lovely thank you. We did go for a walk it rained a bit but it's was still a nice day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now