Talk

Advanced search

Oven and Goose are in a Christmas stand off..

(12 Posts)
myrtleWilson Fri 23-Dec-16 20:08:24

Picked up goose today, just checked to see if goose will fit in oven and it appears not. Have cooked goose before but since then have moved house and have a new oven which apparently is a tad smaller than old one.... Will play around with it on Christmas Day but think iI'll have to take the legs off. Was not expecting to play Madame Butcher this year.... fshock

AuntieStella Fri 23-Dec-16 20:09:45

This is when you need teenagers and power tools....

AliceInHinterland Fri 23-Dec-16 20:11:23

Ours will be propped at a diagonal, all the better for the lovely fat to run off into the tray.

myrtleWilson Fri 23-Dec-16 20:17:04

I think DD has some hair straighteners knocking around, maybe I could singe the legs off?!

Oh Alice that may be an idea, how are you propping?

AliceInHinterland Fri 23-Dec-16 20:58:04

I haven't thought that far ahead, it will have to be propped up on the edge of the tray at least (none big enough) maybe with some foil on the bottom of the oven to catch the fat. Perhaps a loan tin or something artfully arranged?

AliceInHinterland Fri 23-Dec-16 20:58:17

Loan = loaf

MusterTheRohirim Fri 23-Dec-16 21:21:59

I love goose, hope you get it sorted. My Dad rang my mum last night when he picked up their turkey to say he'd got it and it was 36 pounds. Mum (and Dsis) had been at the wine and were in a right panic thinking it wouldn't fit in the oven, why had he purchased such a monster? Then he came in with a normal sized turkey that had cost £36 fgrin

mumonashoestring Fri 23-Dec-16 22:25:25

Dad got a ridiculous sized goose last year - we crowned it (removed the legs and put them in a roasting tin on the next shelf down). Weird thing is if you cook it like that the legs need a half hour or so head start or they come out tough as hell.

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Fri 23-Dec-16 22:27:50

arg muster fgrin I hope ours fits too - what are you all putting with goose?

myrtleWilson Fri 23-Dec-16 22:50:57

Am loving the image of panic setting in at chez Muster!

Oh Mum hadn't thought about that, so legs go in before rest of it? Do I adjust cooking time for sans legs bit??

Was doing Nigella Bohemian Goose with sauerkraut and baked apples and it should look like a Disney feast... I suspect it will look like carnage 😤

mumonashoestring Fri 23-Dec-16 23:04:40

We used this as a guide for cooking times, worked perfectly
www.raymondblanc.com/recipes/roast-goose/

It'll look fab smile

Oldraver Fri 23-Dec-16 23:50:51

This happened to me..our current oven had the controls down the side so it wasn't as wide a the old one...I think I hacked a bit off the legs and shoved it sideways and moved to having a stuffed duck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now