Talk

Advanced search

M&S XL Turkey crown

(12 Posts)
PoliticalBiscuit Fri 23-Dec-16 19:40:58

I'm picking it up tomorrow but thinking of planning tonight how I will fit everything in oven etc. Roughly how long does it need to cook for and how long does it rest for, ish? It's a large one to feed 12-14.

Kirriemuir Fri 23-Dec-16 19:51:30

You will need to get the weight to get an accurate cooking time.

EdithWeston Fri 23-Dec-16 19:55:10

You could check here:

www.britishturkey.co.uk/cooking/cooking-calculators.html

which has defrosting and cooking times for turkeys and turkey crowns.

There may well be instructions on the packaging, but as OP said, it all depends on the weight.

ALemonyPea Fri 23-Dec-16 19:56:23

They usually tell you on the packet how long you should cook it for.

PoliticalBiscuit Fri 23-Dec-16 19:57:12

Thanks, they've taken down the listing as their Christmas food ordering has finished so I have no idea how much it weighs! Not in my email either which is why I thought I'd ask, see if anyone can remember from last year. Not sure if it's 2 hours or 4!

AuntieStella Fri 23-Dec-16 20:02:28

If you don't have any scales, can you ask a neighbour if you can pop it on theirs?

redannie118 Fri 23-Dec-16 20:07:01

I've got a fresh turkey crow weighs about 9 and half pounds and it needs to cook for 3 hours but you also need to factor in it needs about an hour out of the fridge before to bring it to room temperature and about a hour after cooking so the juices settle , hope that helps smile

ALemonyPea Fri 23-Dec-16 20:31:53

The weight and length of cook time will be on the plastic covering, I get M&S turkey every year and it's always been on there, don't fret.

lornathewizzard Fri 23-Dec-16 20:33:17

We've got one for 9-12 people and it says 3hrs I think

Ankleswingers Fri 23-Dec-16 20:37:47

Mines for 8-10 people. Picked it up today. It says to cook for 2 and a half hours.

PoliticalBiscuit Fri 23-Dec-16 21:10:07

Thanks all. I know it'll tell me exactly what to do which is why I bought it I just thought I'd make a start on getting my timings roughly ready for the day. Appreciate you all checking for me wine wine wine

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 23-Dec-16 21:14:38

do it well in advance....it will really benefit from a good long rest, cover it in foil, chuck a clean tea towel over the top an it'll keep hot for ages.

the resting means it carves better and the meat will be much juicier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now