Talk

Advanced search

please help quick! what to get a 9yr old boy to tempt him away from PS4?

(14 Posts)
SooDeNimm Fri 23-Dec-16 17:42:22

we're twitching.

DS2 has only asked for PS4 games and accessories. DS1 is getting a piece of software for editing videos, so looking for something comparable.

We've bought him the games but can take them back. DH is a bit hmm about giving him more reason to stand in front of the console screen.

Is there anything that could tempt him into coding perhaps? or is it a bit advanced for 9yr old?

DH is heading to the Trafford Centre shortly...

Please help!

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 23-Dec-16 17:44:54

So you want to tempt him away from one computer screen to another? Raspberry PI is supposed to be good for this age group but tbh if I was trying to get him away from tech I wouldnt buy more tech. How about a bike or football stuff?

SisterViktorine Fri 23-Dec-16 17:47:40

DS is getting a Kano. He is 6 but I think it would also be suitable for older child as they could be more independent with it.

Stikbots? Don't know if they are any good, but on theme with DS1s video software.

VodkaValiumLattePlease Fri 23-Dec-16 17:49:14

So your going to get one son exactly what he wants but not the other? When they both mean sitting in front of a screen? Yeah let me know how that goes.

SundayNightRoast Fri 23-Dec-16 17:52:47

My 7 year old loves coding, so not too advanced. We use Tynker. However, I think my DS likes it because it's the most exciting thing he gets to do on our laptop. We've resisted any gaming consoles for the reasons you've outlined- they're so much fun, a lot of children don't want to do anything else once they have one!
What about a family game or similar? Ours love Monopoly and Cluedo.

Ohyesiam Fri 23-Dec-16 17:58:37

I don't bother with tempting, I just time limit it.

zzzzz Fri 23-Dec-16 18:00:47

A bow and arrows and lots of balloons to fill with water.

neonrainbow Fri 23-Dec-16 18:13:45

Whys one allowed screen presents but the other isn't?

Figure17a Fri 23-Dec-16 18:17:28

I know what op's aiming for - she wants both sons to have something constructive rather than one having the educational type software gift and the other games.

Ime, unless he's interested in the more worthy gift you get him it will be ignored and he'll continue to play the games he already has op.

Wonderflonium Fri 23-Dec-16 18:19:09

Has he got Minecraft? That's a good gateway into coding.

NotJustAnotherUsername Fri 23-Dec-16 18:21:32

A mini drone if you want to get him outside?

SooDeNimm Fri 23-Dec-16 18:23:57

I don't mind the screens, it was just a thought about broadening his experience within something that he loves.

Fair comment on the getting him stuff he won't like.

He has minecraft.

Luttrell Fri 23-Dec-16 19:04:17

Coding isn't the same as console gaming. One is creating, the other is consuming. The tech skills shortage is due to a lot of people being tech consumers, but not very many having a clue about tech creation. The two skills are as distinct as being a plumber and drinking water.

Coding could be a pretty good way to loosen gaming's stranglehold, as he may become more interested in creating content than just consuming it, but it's difficult and you may need to look at the bigger picture - cut down on his gaming time with boundaries and timescales in order to encourage him to try other skills.

Luggage16 Fri 23-Dec-16 21:00:38

We have a kano and it is great. It works off a raspberry pi so they might be a good option too.

Mine are getting a Sams lab kit from my inlaws which might be worth a look as well (they sell them on amazon but you missed their sale price in the black Friday deals).

Does he have a laptop? you can use coding programs like scratch on most things. Even my 6 year old manages to create things using that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now