Talk

Advanced search

Food prep help! (Complete novice just tried to peel the spuds with a bottle opener)

(2 Posts)
Jugglingallthebollocks Fri 23-Dec-16 11:35:15

I'm doing Xmas for the first time this year, don't normally bother as it's just us but this year we have 2 guests coming so I'm keen to get it right.
I want to prep my veg and potatoes today, I know this sounds daft but do I peel carrots, parsnips and potatoes? And then if I parboil them, how long? And then do I need to freeze or will fridge do? And if freeze can I cook from frozen?
Sorry for all the questions that make me sound about 5. I'm actually a competent adult but the internet isn't helping me here!

Grumpyoldblonde Fri 23-Dec-16 11:58:32

Yes peel the potatoes, you can at boil them for about 10 minutes or so, bash them about a bit in the pan and let them cool. you can then freeze them. If you did them tomorrow they could go in the fridge but today is a bit early. Do the veg tomorrow not today, peel the carrots, put in a dish of cold water, cover then pop in the fridge. Parsnips, I peel a bit but not perfectly if you see what I mean, they don't really need it. Treat them in the same way as the carrots. It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to peel them so if there are only 4 of you it's no real faff to do them Christmas eve or Christmas morning.
The frozen spuds can go into the oven while the Turkey (if you are having it) is resting which can be an hour under foil and a couple of clean tea towels and you can do them from frozen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now