Talk

Advanced search

How to make Christmas abit less lonely for me and ds?

(9 Posts)
toscurry4 Thu 22-Dec-16 20:34:44

DS is 3 and we have no family locally, they are all a good drive away. I don't finish until late Friday night and I have to be at work at 7.30 Boxing day so the travelling would be more of a bind than anything. It will be just the two of us on Christmas Eve and until late afternoon Christmas Day (DS will be going to his dad's Christmas Day evening), then it will just be me. It's the first year spent completely by ourselves but next year we should be living closer to my parents.
Any ideas on how I can make it abit special and less lonely for us? Things we could do Christmas Eve? How to liven up Christmas Day abit?

MadJeffBarn Thu 22-Dec-16 20:45:03

There's loads you can do sweet. Baking mince pies for santa and make some 'reindeer food' (oats and glitter), go on a hunt for pine cones to decorate, ect.
Christmas day is always a blur, you'll fill the morning with breakfasts and presents. Then in the afternoon put a film on and have a 'Christmas date' (if you have space left in your tummies after dinner!) Get some snacks and put a film on. Before you know it it'll be pick up time smile hope you have a lovely Christmas xx

AhCheeses Thu 22-Dec-16 21:01:42

I agree.
The morning often goes really quickly.
Have a lovely breakfast together, sit on the floor and play with some Christmas presents together. Lay the table and have a special lunch, maybe he can help you make some of it? You've got a lovely opportunity to make some great memories of just the two of you.
It's hard to find time to just play sometimes.
Have you got something planned to do once he goes to his dad's?
Perfect time to treat yourself to a bit of relaxation time.

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Thu 22-Dec-16 21:51:21

Music - films, games, being silly, going out if you can break up the day?

stargirl1701 Thu 22-Dec-16 21:54:11

Out to a Christingle service on the afternoon of Christmas Eve followed by a picnic dinner under the tree and a movie, say Stickman?

Back to church on Christmas Day for a short morning service. Christmas dinner then a walk. A bath with you and some nice bath bubbles/bath colours.

Ladybirdtinselturd Thu 22-Dec-16 22:18:01

We always go out for a Christmas day walk and have a chat with other people we bump into. Even a few short conversations with other adults help me to feel more connected from inside our little family bubble.

Blogwoman Thu 22-Dec-16 22:27:30

Yes lots of churches do a nice child-orientated service on Christmas Eve afternoon & should be welcoming, whether or not you've ever been before. You can make your own traditions that could be special for years to come. Special baking, like biscuits to decorate (or a gingerbread house - think you can get these to assemble & slather in icing & dolly mixtures) is a good one. Christmas stories too - library is an option for those or all the charity shops seek to have them, as well as regular book shops of course. Hope you have a happy time.

AhCheeses Sun 25-Dec-16 10:57:38

Toscurry4, I hope you're both having a lovely morning.
Happy Christmas xx

Fluffy24 Sun 25-Dec-16 13:52:48

Hope you're having a lovely festive time OP! X wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now