Talk

Advanced search

Disposal of Christmas oil

(15 Posts)
MrsMuddlePluck Thu 22-Dec-16 19:04:02

The experts keep telling us not to put cooking oil/fat down the drain but how should you get rid of it?

Latest I heard was to put it in a jar, but glass jars will get you a 'please recycle your glass' note hung on your bin and I don't hold a stock of paper/tin trays [maybe I should?].

Tips please?

Palomb Thu 22-Dec-16 19:05:50

Let it cool and scrapenin to sandwich bags and out in the normal bin

gamerchick Thu 22-Dec-16 19:06:03

I line a pan with bags like nappy sacks, pour oil in, tie and put in main rubbish.

dementedpixie Thu 22-Dec-16 19:06:17

Put it in a container and bin it e.g. the old oil bottle or an empty 2L bottle from fizzy drinks or a plastic milk bottle, etc

PickAChew Thu 22-Dec-16 19:10:19

Hard fat is easy. I just let it set and wrap is in cling film or something. I never have large amounts of oil to dispose of, but I chuck used kitchen paper into the oily tin as I finish with it and mop up as much as possible, using it to push any still lying onto leftovers to be disposed of after the meal.

WhenDoISleep Thu 22-Dec-16 19:11:34

I put it in empty takeaway boxes and freeze, then throw into the outside bin on collection day. If you don't have disposable containers, line regular plastic storage boxes with freezer bags.

I read the tip about freezing years ago. Stops the smells and prevents leakage in the bin.

hippyhippyshake Thu 22-Dec-16 19:15:47

I pour it into the food waste bin. The food absorbs it so it's not swimming around. I'm a bit worried now that this is not right as no one else has mentioned it!

MrsMuddlePluck Thu 22-Dec-16 20:19:50

Gamerchick - I read your post as 'line a bag with nappies', which actually isn't a bad idea!

gamerchick Thu 22-Dec-16 20:22:04

That could work grin

allegretto Thu 22-Dec-16 20:25:56

We have a recycling bin just for oil at the end of our street.

SecretNutellaFix Thu 22-Dec-16 20:36:17

I line a bag with kitchen paperand the paper absorbs it

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Thu 22-Dec-16 20:51:28

The birds like beef fat mixed with bird seed put in yogurt pots hung on a tree with string. NOT turkey/chicken fat though, can be dangerous for them.

HardcoreLadyType Thu 22-Dec-16 20:56:22

Lakeland do a fat catcher thing. You buy refills for it, which are made of recycled paper or card, and you pour the fat in when it's hot, and it soaks in, and you can chuck it in the food waste bin (if you have one - we do).

lapsedorienteerer Thu 22-Dec-16 21:49:17

I use an old large yoghurt pot (keep it in fridge until full)

Oldraver Fri 23-Dec-16 23:21:27

We have food collection bins where we live. I keep a lidded box in the freezer or fridge lined with a caddy bag...just put a slice of bread in the bottom and tip the oil onto the bread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now